• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x39 ammo, just for the hell of it...

If you need 5.45x39.. 619 Guns and Ammo in Merrimack NH has 1000 cases of Golden Tiger! Not sure of the prices but was much cheaper then online prices.
Have to pick up in the store because they don't ship.
He had 3 cases left as of friday. I bought one. He was selling flr $399.

Gt 545 is affordable and I like to support 619, its a good shop. They are just the importer not the manufacturer... but like 5-10% of rounds fail to fire for me. Exclusively the primer not igniting. Primer is hit but does not fire. Sometimes it does after putting it back in the chamber. When shooting, some 545 mags have had stoppages every couple rounds. Makes the stuff basically unusable for me. This has happned on a couple rounds from other brands but not as constant as with Golden Tiger, some brands like Tula worked flawless.

GT 762 has produced the only malfunctions one of my AKs every had. Perhaps some undercharged rounds that short stroked the piston/bolt causing faliure to feed... in an over-gassed AKM in good working condition.

Gt 545 is affordable and I like to support 619, its a good shop. They are just the importer not the manufacturer... but like 5-10% of rounds fail to fire for me. Exclusively the primer not igniting. Primer is hit but does not fire. Sometimes it does after putting it back in the chamber. When shooting, some 545 mags have had stoppages every couple rounds. Makes the stuff basically unusable for me. This has happned on a couple rounds from other brands but not as constant as with Golden Tiger, some brands like Tula worked flawless.
I think it's a combination of the primers being seated deeper and/or being harder than any of the other brands of x39.

We still have plenty 5.45x39 guys and we are $100 better than anything on line delivered. This $399 deal will not last forever!!
Golden Tiger 7.62x39 is $350 and we have far less of it....
What have you guys heard on 7.62x39 ammo going forward?

GT 762 has produced the only malfunctions one of my AKs every had. Perhaps some undercharged rounds that short stroked the piston/bolt causing faliure to feed... in an over-gassed AKM in good working condition
Bring in whatever you have left and we will refund what ever you paid. That's the first we've heard of this for 5.45x39.

There is nothing coming from Russia since May. Nothing. And won't be anything moving forward.
Damn

Well it looks like other countries like Bulgaria are importing ammo but I wonder how long the price will be sub 40 cpr. This global ordnance ammo is available for 37 cpr shipped (to MA), from a different vendor. Atlantic doesn't ship ammo to MA so I can post these photos [laugh]
1669825792306.png
1669825852905.png

GT 762 has produced the only malfunctions one of my AKs every had. Perhaps some undercharged rounds that short stroked the piston/bolt causing faliure to feed... in an over-gassed AKM in good working condition.
What rifle are you shooting that from? Ive been shooting the GT i have been buying from 619 and have had zero issues. Im shooting them out of a saiga and Galil Ace gen 2. I read on the akfiles board of others saying this. Not only has it been flawless for me thus far, i am getting tighter groupings than the red army standard(tula).
I am just finding it odd how i am shooting the same ammo from the same lot and not having issues.

So after reading people talking about the 5.45 gt on akfiles i did a non scientific try. Was shooting my saiga at 50 yards with Iron sights (which my eyes can't handle anymore) and shooting in seat off my range bag. So the first target was my second try with the red army. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the iron sights. Getting old. So i posted my second target when i had it "locked in". The second target was with GT. The rounds outside the middle was how i started till i adjusted my eyes in which i was shooting the grouping in the midde.

So i learned 3 things from this excersice.
1: I have to upgrade to red dots and get glasses for shooting
2: I am a terrible shot
And 3: I was grouping better with the GT over the RAS.

Attachments

• 20221001_171244.jpg
    20221001_171244.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221001_170648.jpg
    20221001_170648.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20221001_170130.jpg
    20221001_170130.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221001_165928.jpg
    20221001_165928.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221001_180408.jpg
    20221001_180408.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 10
So after reading people talking about the 5.45 gt on akfiles i did a non scientific try. Was shooting my saiga at 50 yards with Iron sights (which my eyes can't handle anymore) and shooting in seat off my range bag. So the first target was my second try with the red army. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the iron sights. Getting old. So i posted my second target when i had it "locked in". The second target was with GT. The rounds outside the middle was how i started till i adjusted my eyes in which i was shooting the grouping in the midde.

Nice. Is the 5.45 GT boat tail bullets like 7.62?

Meh, AK irons aren't great in general. Especially with those round torso targets that's really hard to "lock" the front sight post on in the same exact point every time when trying to shoot as accuratley/consistantly as possible. I don't think I can shoot better than ~3" at 100 yd with AK irons in general. The front sight post on AK irons is like 10" wide black square at 100yds. And the Soviets set up a special zeroing target that had a black rectangle in the middle to make it easier to line up.

From my own use, GT 762 shoots a few inches off POA at 100yd on my gun zeroed for Barnaul, a little less accurate than Barnaul. They say its 3-4 MOA ammo, and that's fine for an AK.

Last edited:
What rifle are you shooting that from? Ive been shooting the GT i have been buying from 619 and have had zero issues. Im shooting them out of a saiga and Galil Ace gen 2. I read on the akfiles board of others saying this. Not only has it been flawless for me thus far, i am getting tighter groupings than the red army standard(tula).
I am just finding it odd how i am shooting the same ammo from the same lot and not having issues.

A Romanian AIMS74 type gun. TBH I've heard people more knowledgeable than me that Romy 5.45 guns can 3-6 MOA. One gun to the next.

I can't really give a statement on how accurate it is because I've only used irons, and they don't lend themselves to precision shooting. I've gotten ~4 MOA if I was really trying with irons.

I can't say an exact number but GT was notably less consistent in accuracy for me.

Damn

Well it looks like other countries like Bulgaria are importing ammo but I wonder how long the price will be sub 40 cpr. This global ordnance ammo is available for 37 cpr shipped (to MA), from a different vendor. Atlantic doesn't ship ammo to MA so I can post these photos [laugh]
View attachment 692517
View attachment 692518

Supposedly there was a big explosion at Circle 10 factory in Bulgaria (Arsenal) I wonder if/how that will effect this now..

A Romanian AIMS74 type gun. TBH I've heard people more knowledgeable than me that Romy 5.45 guns can 3-6 MOA. One gun to the next.

I can't really give a statement on how accurate it is because I've only used irons, and they don't lend themselves to precision shooting. I've gotten ~4 MOA if I was really trying with irons.

I can't say an exact number but GT was notably less consistent in accuracy for me.
Yea unfortunately i have not tried the aims74. I bought a total of like 6 cases the past few months of GT 545 i haven't shot yet. Next time i go out ill try and take a few boxes from each and see if i get different results.

I bought a bunch of the GT 5.45 from 619DW but haven't had a chance to shoot any of it yet as I've been shooting through all of my loose 7N6 first. AK guys in our area are lucky to have such a great local shop. I am cautiously optimistic about the future of 5.45. Aside from the rumors of future US manufacturing, other potential sources could be Romania, Azerbaijan, and notably the Bishkek Stamping Plant in Kyrgyzstan. An online seller brought in a batch of 7.62x39 made in Kyrgyzstan earlier this year so one can only hope that they could also import 5.45 since it's made at that plant too. At any rate if you like 5.45 and haven't stocked up yet, there's no better deal out there now than 619DW or getting lucky and finding reasonably priced tins of 7N6 from private sellers.

would love to see your results
So today i took 100 rounds from 3 different cases i purchased from 619DW. Once again i used my Saiga this time with a red dot at 50 yards. I always date my ammo so i can keep track and i have ocd. You can see in the pic i have the dates on the front of the box. All have the same lot numbers 20221211_135839.jpg
My red dot was sighted in with Tula but i left it alone to show the difference in where the ammo was hitting. The rounds towards the middle were tula and the GT was all on the higher right. Leaving it that way because i am shooting all my tula ammo first. This is from the case i bought in May. All fired no issues. 20221211_141126.jpg
Next pic is from a case i bought in August. Grouping better, as the barrel got warmer they shot more towards the left. I did have 2 flyers but that was me trying to adjust my eyes to the red dot(astigmatism). I used black marker to mark the previous shots. All shot no issues. 20221211_141758.jpg
The last case was purchased in November. I changed my point of am a bit to lower left so I didn't have to mess with my red dot settings. The center shots were my last shots. Great groups no issues.
As i have said before i am no Chris Kyle. Shot off my range bag. The point of me doing this is to again show that i have had ZERO malfuntions and that the ammo is grouping just fine. Im guessing the issue people are having are relateted to the rifles being picky not the ammo itself. 20221211_142558.jpg

So today i took 100 rounds from 3 different cases i purchased from 619DW. Once again i used my Saiga this time with a red dot at 50 yards. I always date my ammo so i can keep track and i have ocd. You can see in the pic i have the dates on the front of the box. All have the same lot numbersView attachment 696741
My red dot was sighted in with Tula but i left it alone to show the difference in where the ammo was hitting. The rounds towards the middle were tula and the GT was all on the higher right. Leaving it that way because i am shooting all my tula ammo first. This is from the case i bought in May. All fired no issues.View attachment 696742
Next pic is from a case i bought in August. Grouping better, as the barrel got warmer they shot more towards the left. I did have 2 flyers but that was me trying to adjust my eyes to the red dot(astigmatism). I used black marker to mark the previous shots. All shot no issues.View attachment 696743
The last case was purchased in November. I changed my point of am a bit to lower left so I didn't have to mess with my red dot settings. The center shots were my last shots. Great groups no issues.
As i have said before i am no Chris Kyle. Shot off my range bag. The point of me doing this is to again show that i have had ZERO malfuntions and that the ammo is grouping just fine. Im guessing the issue people are having are relateted to the rifles being picky not the ammo itself.View attachment 696744
Thanks for taking the time. I'm glad it's not just me! GT and Tula/some other loading have a big point of impact difference. As in like 5+ inches at 100yd...

I'm told that 5.45, especially the current commecially available loadings, are pretty much minute of man. There is a YT channel of a guy who did an accuracy test with his Arsenal 74 with a magnified optic and some of his groups were 5".... So it is what it is.

Thanks for taking the time. I'm glad it's not just me! GT and Tula/some other loading have a big point of impact difference. As in like 5+ inches at 100yd...

I'm told that 5.45, especially the current commecially available loadings, are pretty much minute of man. There is a YT channel of a guy who did an accuracy test with his Arsenal 74 with a magnified optic and some of his groups were 5".... So it is what it is.
Yea that took me by surprise. Wasn't expecting such a large difference.

Last edited:

It'll do for mag dumping into trash.

Not cheap but at least it's another option.

Not cheap but at least it's another option.
I’m going to sit on this info for a few months until everyone else is REALLY broke from inflation. Hopefully the price drops a bit.

And by a bit I mean a lot. I’d be ‘happy’ around $300/case. I doubt it will get there, so I’ll stick to being ‘mildly satisfied’ that there’s at least a new option for $350/case.

Back
Top Bottom