• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x39 ar platform 14" barrels...wondering aloud why i never saw one.

greencobra

NES Member
anyone ever seen one recently? they go 10.5", 12.5", then skip to 16". i wanted to use a 14 with a perm mount muzzle device but no go, can't seem to locate one.

I have no idea but you could probably get a 16" barrel and have a gunsmith chop 2" off and thread the end for a muzzle device.

my experience w the 7.62x39 AR setup would be that it's for fun, not a good choice for defensive purpose. so in that scenario i just don't worry about an inch of muzzle length. if it's necessary i would just have the 16" barrel cut and pin/weld done.

my issues:
-extractors don't last very long. they break every 1-2k rounds. not a huge deal just needs a swap.
-ignition is not 100% w berdan primed ammo. some lots of wolf will run like 99.5% but others like 80%. no way to know for sure.
-bolts don't last as long due to larger breech face with same overall width. i'm estimating like 2-3k per bolt before lugs go missing.
-action gets extra dirty due to the crap powders used in steel ammo
-feeding can be finicky. only setup that works for me near 100% is FMJ (not JHP or SP) and ASC 10rd mags. the mags have a break-in period, are tough to load and rounds MUST be pushed all the way rearward to seat into the mag properly.

yes i'm running extra weight hammer spring. it still doesn't solve the ignition issue 100%. none of the above issues are unique to me. they're well described. the result is that for me it's a fun setup for tinkering around at the range and VERY cost effective, but not a true setup in the sense like a 5.56 chambering which runs like a top. if I were hell bent on a 30 cal AR setup that is reliable it would be in 300 blk.

running a 16" ar 7.62x39 now. yep, it's a blast to shoot and purely a range toy. got a hold of 10 asc mags, 1 is a dog and put it aside, the rest, so far, are super. i was aware of the reported issues, bought an enhanced firing pin which i don't seem to need and a spare bolt with extras. close to 4000 rds through it since june, runs like the devil. at this point i would bet my life on this gun.i have a concept in mind for the 14" but don't want to chop a 16 down. i'll find one out there.

My AR-47 pistol runs great on steel cased ammo. The only hiccup I had was one time I got a fail to feed and I smacked the magazine back up and it functioned fine. I have no idea if it came loose or was never fully locked in. I have 4 ASC magazines, but I've only used the one.

Damn, I'd bet money 99% of malfunctions are magazines. Been stroking magpul but they won't give up any info. Love to see them enter that 7.62x39 AR market.

The earlier ASC magazines needed a little dremel work on the rear of the magazine to make them work right. Some other manufacturers as well.
i've found the asc mags are way too thin, compare their thin sheet metal sides to a usgi 5.56 mag. just a little compression and you're screwed. i believe just a slightly concave 7.62x39 sidewall and an already difficult to feed round gets even harder to bring up on that style follower. just the nature of the beast cause of the case shape i guess.

been going back to ar15.com and rereading the chatter of some folks trying to modify 20 round ar 5.56 magpuls to accommodate the 7.62x39, some with success and others not so much.

Back
Top Bottom