• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62 Tracers and FMJ's

dannyk45

NES Member
I was given some 7.62 FMJ's and some Tracers from a M-60 they were belted. Is it safe to use these in a new .308. The rounds are probably 25-30 years old. I have a Remington 700 to shoot them out of.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Last edited:
I was given some 7.62 FMJ's and some Tracers from a M-60 they were belted. Is it safe to use these in a new .308. The rounds are probably 25-30 years old. I have a Remington 700 to shoot them out of.
Thanks in advance
Dan KRupa

Should be fine. Those two are compatible with each other. Although why one would want to shoot tracers from a bolt action is a whole other thread.

It's the only .308 I have so no other options.

I figured, I was being flippant but it wasn't aimed at you, just the situation which was amusing. I actually thought to myself, that may be cool to see the tracers on a long distance shot at say 300+ yards.

Thanks in advance
Dan KRupa

They should work fine but just be aware that tracers are notorious fire starters. You would be smart to use them when any surrounding brush and or grass is wet or damp......and be ready to boogie down range to put out any fire.
I fired two .50 cal tracers and one tail end broke loose on impact and bounced up just over the berm. By the time I ran the hundred yards, there was a patch of grass two feet in diameter burning. I would only use them with snow cover or on a rainy day now.

They should work fine but just be aware that tracers are notorious fire starters. You would be smart to use them when any surrounding brush and or grass is wet or damp......and be ready to boogie down range to put out any fire.
I fired two .50 cal tracers and one tail end broke loose on impact and bounced up just over the berm. By the time I ran the hundred yards, there was a patch of grass two feet in diameter burning. I would only use them with snow cover or on a rainy day now.

What about people saying that you will burn the rifling out of your barrel is there any truth to that.

What about people saying that you will burn the rifling out of your barrel is there any truth to that.

Mythology, unless your barrel is super-heated. Most tracer ignite well outside a cool, warm or even really warm barrel. If you have a semi-auto and are doing mag dumps, you can get the tracer sparked up early. I shoot a SOCOM-16 and 99% of the time, tracers light up well beyond 50-yards...If I get the pup heated up though, they will go sparky at the muzzle...

tracer

dont shoot them.what ignites them? hot air.I am pulling 223 and notice the the tracer rds have a different powder.its a stick powder.I believe it burns hotter to ignite the trace.
and I fired some 45 tracer and had a h**l of a fire in a large field.and I shot into a farm pond and they bounced out.Its you call so you live with it.[grin]

dont shoot them.what ignites them? hot air.I am pulling 223 and notice the the tracer rds have a different powder.its a stick powder.I believe it burns hotter to ignite the trace.
and I fired some 45 tracer and had a h**l of a fire in a large field.and I shot into a farm pond and they bounced out.Its you call so you live with it.[grin]

I more or less just wanted to try them. Safety first of course firing into water or on a rainy day.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom