55 Russian Letter series - Non Refurb - Unissued?

40 caliber

NES Member
I picked this up this weekend from another NESr. This is a beautiful Rifle and I thank him for the opportunity to own it. When we talked on the phone he said it looked like it was never shot. Now we are talking about a 1955 rifle. I have heard the unissued/ never shot story so many times and read it on Gunbroker for black bolt refurbs. So needless to say, I was a little skeptical. I met him halfway between our homes.

The mag well was out of the gun. His grandson wanted to put an AK Mag in it but did not. (horror!) He handed me the magwell first. I started to believe him. When I pulled the rifle out of the bag, I was convinced. I pulled the rifle apart to take pictures and return the mag well to its home. I used all the care of an Archaelogist on a sacred dig. I was so nervous I actually pulled apart another SKS to make sure i was doing everything right.I have dissassembled them a hundred times, but this was one rifle I did not want to screw up.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe you will say some russian private just really took good care of it. You will have to go a long way to prove to me this is not an unissued specimen. I can't prove it unissued but I can't prove a bullet ever graced this mag well, or that the bolt was ever struck forward. There is not a scratch on it.

I showed it to Alex (the russian guy) at Collectable Arms. He has collected a long time and does not remember seeing one this nice in a long time.

My 17 year old son has been on this milsurp journey with me since he was 13. After he put on the white gloves (joking) and looked at the rifle. he about summed up the condition of the rifle best.

I can see the gears spinning. He is looking at the 57 year old rifle, thinking about it's journey from Russia to Nashua New Hampshire and all the hands it passed through. All the opportunities to get shot , used and abused... His comment was brilliance and innocence. Looking at the condition and remarking about the the rifle " Dad, how does this happen?"

Enjoy the Pics. tell me you think it was used. I dare you. [wink]
IMG_2797_zpsc2c9465a.jpg

IMG_2778_zpsbb9050f2.jpg

IMG_2783_zps2f9752a0.jpg

IMG_2779_zpsc41ec7d1.jpg

IMG_2771_zps48316da8.jpg

IMG_2788_zps781ab9c1.jpg

IMG_2786_zps279c4091.jpg

IMG_2775_zps0fea0f48.jpg

IMG_2757_zpse2fed81f.jpg

IMG_2756_zps2ca6e15f.jpg

IMG_2769_zpsc8091641.jpg

]

Of four-dozen-plus SKS's in the fold, I have none that meet the condition of this one. And a non-refurb letter series with a hardwood stock, to boot.

Savor this one, Tom. Not many opportunities arise like this in a collector's lifetime.

Now, shouldn't your screen name be changed to 7.62_caliber????

pretty clear to me, it doesnt work thats why it has never been fired! SWEET......thanks my russian now looks like a chinese pos

Tom, here are the ones I have that I told you about. This 55 has a receiver cover stamp:

100_1790.jpg

100_1794.jpg

My 56, or very late 55 not sure how to tell exactly, is the one in the laminate stock in this pic. Its got the typical blank receiver cover and star on the side of the receiver

bookends2.jpg

Neither of them look like they were fired when I got them. Of course I had to shoot them a few times.[smile]

Well , i called the previous owner and asked him for my son Where did you get this rifle? He told me back in the 90s a gunbroker came to worcester mass. I think he said the centrum. There were crates and crates of SKS rifles. He went through them until he found the shiniest rifle he could find. That is the one he bought ................... go figure.... off the tula arsenal manufacturing line,,,,,into the crate..... off to the USA and into his safe

for $85...........and no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he did not sell it to me for that.

on another board, there was some controversy on whether this rifle was "unissued" (never given to russian private slobotnik) andput in a crate. or was it "as issued" meaning a soldier was issued this gun. The theory goes that if a rifle sat in the actual gun rack it would scratch the finish off the butt stock. The paste used on the stock was not very durable. After seeing this picture, the SKS guys in the know agree this is an unissued example

controversy resolved

IMG_2800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom