• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Commercial 6.5x 55 loads safe for swedish surplus guns?

headednorth

NES Member
Tbh didnt realize companies were making modern guns chambered in this cartridge. Are commercial loads safe for a model 96/38 and/or an AG42b? Picked up some PPU match and reg blue box and also a box of Fiocchi.

Also same question more or less regarding load data. Safe for surplus guns? Stick to the lower end of the data?

20200229_205119.jpg

i would not be surprised if modern ammo is a bit dummed down vs the original.
6.5 swede is a great target round , like a lot of "gun stuff" much of what we consider good and modern was figured out 100 years ago.

i would not be surprised if modern ammo is a bit dummed down vs the original.
6.5 swede is a great target round , like a lot of "gun stuff" much of what we consider good and modern was figured out 100 years ago.
That's right. The 6.5 Swede was doing the Creedmoor thing over 100 years ago.

I've shot PPU out of my m96/38 with no problems.

My Vihta manual does have a higher pressure version of 6.5 Swede meant for modern rifles, called 6.5x55 SKAN. The Vihta manual clearly spells out not to load to 6.5 SKAN pressures in vintage Mausers:

"WARNING: This reloading data is intended to use at modern rifles in good condition such as Sauer, Sako or Blaser chambered to 6,5 x 55 SKAN or 6,5 x 55 SE WARNING: DO NOT USE with Krag-Jörgensen, Mauser M1896 or similar rifles. This data has max loads set at pressure of 380 MPa! NOTE: Data contains velocity information for standard barrel lengths of Sauer STR200 rifles."

Any U.S. manufacture 6.5x55 is indeed quite safe to shoot in M96/38 Swedish mausers. In addition, the PPU and other commercial loads are safe as well.
I have shot EVERYTHING including Norma out of my 96 for years no problem.
RELOADING is another issue altogether. SKAN or SE should only be used in newer modern rifles like TIKKA, Winchester 70, Ruger, Remington, CZ's, etc......
Despite the overblown hype, the 6.5 SWEDE, will edge the 6.5 CREED in ANYTHING. Somebody inevitably shouts out "short action" but that's pretty much moot.

Save your PPU brass and reload it. I have had excellent luck with RL22 and the 140g SMK. This load has been god to 600M.

kLp1Sko.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom