• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

500 Magnum squib

milktree

NES Member
After more than 25 years of shooting, I got my first squib.

It was a with a S&W 500 Magnum.

It was with one of my own handloads.

Compared to people who really shoot a lot and who reload, I'm a lightweight. But I'd guess I've loaded somewhere between 15k and 20k rounds. This is the first problem I've had, so that's not so bad.

It could have been way, way worse.

The second most distressing part was that I had to pack up the gun and move on to something else.

The most distressing part was that I have no idea what happened. There was clearly plenty of powder, and the primer clearly went off, as the bullet made it into the barrel. (but only barely.)

The powder didn't burn. Weak primer? Polluted powder? Both?

The Desert Eagle was loaded with powder from the same can, and it fired just fine.

The *first* shot from the 500 felt... less impressive than I remembered; but I attributed that to the range having very good sound management and that I hadn't fired the 500 in maybe a year (I'm a slacker) The second shot went "Pfft." Not a "small bang" or anything. Like a crappy cap gun.

The only upside is that there was a safety class going on in the range, and I got to give the instructor a real-life squib to show the class. So, that was cool.

cylinder-IMG_6002.JPG forcing-cone-IMG_6004.JPG stuck-bullet-IMG_6010.JPG bullet-IMG_6011.JPG

After more than 25 years of shooting, I got my first squib.

It was a with a S&W 500 Magnum.

It was with one of my own handloads.

Compared to people who really shoot a lot and who reload, I'm a lightweight. But I'd guess I've loaded somewhere between 15k and 20k rounds. This is the first problem I've had, so that's not so bad.

It could have been way, way worse.

The second most distressing part was that I had to pack up the gun and move on to something else.

The most distressing part was that I have no idea what happened. There was clearly plenty of powder, and the primer clearly went off, as the bullet made it into the barrel. (but only barely.)

The powder didn't burn. Weak primer? Polluted powder? Both?

The Desert Eagle was loaded with powder from the same can, and it fired just fine.

The *first* shot from the 500 felt... less impressive than I remembered; but I attributed that to the range having very good sound management and that I hadn't fired the 500 in maybe a year (I'm a slacker) The second shot went "Pfft." Not a "small bang" or anything. Like a crappy cap gun.

The only upside is that there was a safety class going on in the range, and I got to give the instructor a real-life squib to show the class. So, that was cool.

View attachment 671078 View attachment 671080 View attachment 671079 View attachment 671077
Interesting. I’ve had a couple squibs in 357 mag but they didn’t have powder if I recall. Was it an undercharged round? H110/W296 powder? What primers does the 500 use? Large rifle primers?

Same problem with handloading my 500 as well. a LOT squibs while developing the load. Oddly enough, the powder didn't burn but rather partially caked and partially blown out the sides in front of the cylinder.

This is why I always pull the trigger really, really hard....to give the round a little extra boost. *

I've had a couple with reloaded shotshells. The really interesting one was with a US-issue .38 Special. slug was half-way down the bore.

Thanks for the reminder to pay attention.

* ETA....humor.

Last edited:
Glad it wasn't a hot round and you didn't lose a hand. I know my limits and I know that reloading is something that I would feel comfortable with.

Did you intentionally undercharge to have a light load? The magnum powders do not function well when under loaded.
This. Especially if it’s H110/W296 powder. Does some funky shit if downloaded too much

Also interested if this was a light load of a magnum powder. That, or a defective primer or contaminated powder, no idea what else could cause this.

Like enbloc said, that photo of the forcing cone loaded with unburned power is amazing. Is it slightly . . . charred? in the center area?

Interesting. I’ve had a couple squibs in 357 mag but they didn’t have powder if I recall. Was it an undercharged round? H110/W296 powder? What primers does the 500 use? Large rifle primers?

I was in fact using H110! Large rifle primers.

Same problem with handloading my 500 as well. a LOT squibs while developing the load. Oddly enough, the powder didn't burn but rather partially caked and partially blown out the sides in front of the cylinder.

That's exactly what I saw.

This is the first time I had any sort of squib or low power anything.

Except that one time when I noticed that the powder reservoir had gone empty and I *knew* I had a low power load. I'd marked it so I'd know which one it was. It shot just fine, just low power.

Did you intentionally undercharge to have a light load?

Nope. 33 grains of H110. It's not a super hot load or anything, but not light either. When I *did* have a light load (an accident, but I caught it, and fired it anyway to see what it was like) it fired just fine other than being light.

Glad it wasn't a hot round and you didn't lose a hand. I know my limits and I know that reloading is something that I would feel comfortable with.

500 Mag has pretty full cases, it's impossible to double charge. I'm not actually sure what the maximum that would fit in is though.

Powder looks kinda clumpy and stuck together. You get some kinda oil or gun cleaner in some cases ?

Maybe? I'm not sure how it would happen though. I don't use a spray lube, I use one of those pads, so it seems unlikely that lube would get in.

I make sure "ammo" and "cleaning" are always separated in at least time, and I try for distance (although my bench isn't huge) so it's also unlikely that CLP could have gotten in.

This is the first irregularity I've had *at all*, so it's a mystery still.

How did you get the bullet out of the barrel?

Drift from the muzzle. It didn't take much effort.

I'd be pulling down the remainder of those reloads for a forensic-level inspection of components...

I'm game for that, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for. I guess "does the powder flow" is a good start.

Nope. 33 grains of H110. It's not a super hot load or anything, but not light either. When I *did* have a light load (an accident, but I caught it, and fired it anyway to see what it was like) it fired just fine other than being light.

projectile weight?

Back
Top Bottom