"5 Extra Words that can Fix the 2A" by former SCOTUS justice John Paul Stevens

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a19578-b8fa-11e3-96ae-f2c36d2b1245_story.html

Justice Stevens argues that what the FF meant by 2A was for the right to keep and bear arms "when serving in the militia", and although he doesn't explicitly say it, he defines "well-regulated" in the modern sense of "controlled/organized" instead of its 1700s meaning of "well calibrated". He also states that federal judges understood the 2A to pertain to firearms for military purposes only, and that state and local govs are within the law to impose restrictions on gun ownership.

Personally, I think it's a little startling that somebody as highly educated as a SCOTUS justice would take "well-regulated" out of its historical context, and the fact that militias at the time were composed of volunteer citizens banding together to protect their communities. In addition, he never comments on "the right of the people...shall not be infringed" and that the 2A refers to an INDIVIDUAL citizen's right, NOT a governmental one. Thoughts?

[rofl2]

It doesn't need fixing, judges do and it can be done with a single word: IMPEACHMENT.

Because I doubt he is sufficiently illiterate, ignorant and dullard to not know that what he is saying is nonsense, I would give him the benefit of the he doubt and say that he knows he is full of !%$& and is more concerned about furthering his political agenda.

Utter and complete nonsense, see the "training should be mandatory" thread and or history.

Also, this story is a bit dated...

Last edited:
All of the Bill of Rights refer to and protect individual rights.

When the Constitution attempts to restrict rather than protect (18th amendment), things go horribly wrong.

Yeah, he also believes that Shakespeare's works were written by Edward De Vere

... Personally, I think it's a little startling that somebody as highly educated as a SCOTUS ...

Dude, how about "Constitutional Law Professor"? Most traitors, criminals and plain whores in DC were "educated" in the most well known universities.

The Constitution is no longer worth the paper its written on. Hella was 5-4 and only one vote away from a 2A implode.

The fight, has been, and will continue to be, over seating of Judges not only in State and Federal Courts but in the Supreme Court as well.

Going forward the law of the land will be determined by whoever holds the Judicial power.

I wouldn't chage a thing in the second amendment>

"One question I asked him didn't get in," said Lovitz. "I said `Jack, you used to be a professional boxer and now you're an actor and you're known as a tough guy in movies. What I want to know is, if you were to be born as a woman, what would you want to look like?'
"I wouldn't want to change a thing," replied Palance.

This statist also wrote the majority opinion in Kelo, which says that it's OK for government to take private property from one party and give it to other private parties to promote "economic development."

The first part of 2a is declatory and nothing more. If people actually understood the English language...

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

In the time of the writing, therefore, the intent and spirit of the law is what they like to ignore and spew false notions about:

Militia: non-government body of citizens
Well-regulated: regulated meant trained in the time. Not how they choose to define regulations now.

Well-regulated milita therefore means well-trained citizens....

Unless I completely missed something? [wink]

Back
Top Bottom