• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5/31/19 - Mass. homeowner arrives home to find robbery in progress

NHCraigT

NES Member
Mass. homeowner arrives home to find robbery in progress

MILTON, Mass. —

A homeowner in Milton came home to realize his house had been broken into in broad daylight, and the thieves were still inside.

The homeowner said he knew his home alarm was going off before he arrived back home, but had no idea when he walked through his front door that three burglars were still inside....

"He said he was shocked the thieves pressed on despite his security system. "The alarm didn’t seem to faze them. They must’ve heard the alarm go off," Collins said."

I work for a security company. Burglars do not care, I have seen windows with decals on them broken. You also have a lot of local alarms, sure the alarm goes off but it will not report to a monitoring center. Also, the amount of time it takes police to arrive AFTER the break in already happened, they have plenty of time.

Many alarms are set up with a 60 sec entry delay, so you have 60 seconds in the house before the alarm goes off. Then IF it is monitored the signal comes in, then protocol is to attempt to call, easily takes another 90 seconds. Then the monitoring center has to pick up and call the police. Police then relay the info out to patrol cars and takes them anywhere form 4-10 min to arrive. So you have plenty of time to get in and get out.

I work for a security company.

Many alarms are set up with a 60 sec entry delay, so you have 60 seconds in the house before the alarm goes off.

You sure about this? The 60 second delay only applies to the delay (entry) zone. If one moves beyond that area there is no more delay as the alarm goes in to full active mode.
Every alarm on multiple properties I manage work this way.

Other than waiting for the police, what can people actually do in this situation if the burglars are unarmed and just ignore the homeowner while continuing to rob the place?

Other than waiting for the police, what can people actually do in this situation if the burglars are unarmed and just ignore the homeowner while continuing to rob the place?
In Massachusetts, if you hold a burglar at gun point it is considered kidnapping and you will be sued by the crooks and thrown in jail, too.

You sure about this? The 60 second delay only applies to the delay (entry) zone. If one moves beyond that area there is no more delay as the alarm goes in to full active mode.
Every alarm on multiple properties I manage work this way.

I've installed hundreds of systems. I meant on an entry door, pointing out how much time a burglar could have.
All other perimeter zones should be programmed and instant zones. Only the homeowners main entry/exit points are set up as delays. 60 sec is standard, but totally customizable I've done 15 seconds up to 5 min delays all depends on client and the application.

Now it the main entry/exit delay door is activated first, devices such as motions wont active until after the delay runs out.

This is why you get a large dog.

Unless they shoot the dog, give the dog a treat, or let the dog outside. It is quite easy to get past most dogs, unless you have a highly trained dog, they are easy to trick.

So many people seem to be anti alarm, not sure why? There are so many benefits to an alarm system

I am pretty sure they won’t just ignore the homeowner. I am almost certain they will immediately react very aggressively to your presence, begin moving towards you in a threatening manner, and they will probably be brandishing what will no doubt appear to you in the heat of the moment to be some sort of deadly weapon. In spite of your concern for your own well being, and that of your family, you will attempt to warn them off. Failing that, you will certainly make an earnest attempt to flee. I get the feeling however that even though you try very hard to escape, you will be unable to, and will be forced, as a last resort, to actually defend yourself and those that you love. You will then no doubt spend the rest of your life being haunted by the terrible consequences of your actions...

At least that is how you ̶r̶̶e̶̶m̶̶e̶̶m̶̶b̶̶e̶̶r̶... e̶̶n̶̶v̶̶i̶̶s̶̶i̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶p̶̶p̶̶e̶̶n̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶... your lawyer will probably explain it.

I work for a security company. Burglars do not care, I have seen windows with decals on them broken. You also have a lot of local alarms, sure the alarm goes off but it will not report to a monitoring center. Also, the amount of time it takes police to arrive AFTER the break in already happened, they have plenty of time.

Many alarms are set up with a 60 sec entry delay, so you have 60 seconds in the house before the alarm goes off. Then IF it is monitored the signal comes in, then protocol is to attempt to call, easily takes another 90 seconds. Then the monitoring center has to pick up and call the police. Police then relay the info out to patrol cars and takes them anywhere form 4-10 min to arrive. So you have plenty of time to get in and get out.

I've explained this while debating libtards. Same exact thing you said, If someone kicks in my door it's 1 minute for the alarm to go off after I open the door, they call me a couple times, then my wife if I don't answer, In some circumstances then my MIL(they did during a power outage, they know her though lol). Then if no answer, the police. Then the cops still need to get here. But my Glock answers the door much quicker

I've explained this while debating libtards. Same exact thing you said, If someone kicks in my door it's 1 minute for the alarm to go off after I open the door, they call me a couple times, then my wife if I don't answer, In some circumstances then my MIL(they did during a power outage, they know her though lol). Then if no answer, the police. Then the cops still need to get here. But my Glock answers the door much quicker

Our protocol is after an alarm activation we attempt to call the first number on the list, if no answer we dispatch. Then go down the list and let the next people know what is going on.

We can set up certain zones to be dispatch immediately with no call, but that is not the norm for burg devices. Usually on something like a safe or a panic button. The only other time we will never call is on a Carbon Monoxide alarm, that is dispatch immediately per policy.

Our protocol is after an alarm activation we attempt to call the first number on the list, if no answer we dispatch. Then go down the list and let the next people know what is going on.

We can set up certain zones to be dispatch immediately with no call, but that is not the norm for burg devices. Usually on something like a safe or a panic button. The only other time we will never call is on a Carbon Monoxide alarm, that is dispatch immediately per policy.

Sounds like my provider, call first number then dispatch and call secondary to advise. I get a text when any of my locations go off (I have 3 systems/locations). All have 30 second entry for the primary entrance(s) and immediate trigger on all the other entry sensors. At my office I have video monitors so when I get a trigger there I check the cameras first. At home I sometimes get motion sensor false alarms (they’re actually IR heat sensors, not motion so sometimes they go off if there’s a major temp shift like when HVAC off and sun hits windows). When I get one of those I immediately turn off and re-set the alarm, If anyone’s inside I’ll know soon enough.

Have been close to home a couple times when motion false alarm goes off, drove home within a minute or two, enter cautiously w gun drawn, never actually had a break in. Once had an issue where didn’t close deck door properly on a windy day, entry sensor went off where someone would break in if they were going to, freaked me out a little. cops came to house, tripped every motion sensor inside while checking things out (I was an hour way).

Sounds like my provider, call first number then dispatch and call secondary to advise. I get a text when any of my locations go off (I have 3 systems/locations). All have 30 second entry for the primary entrance(s) and immediate trigger on all the other entry sensors. At my office I have video monitors so when I get a trigger there I check the cameras first. At home I sometimes get motion sensor false alarms (they’re actually IR heat sensors, not motion so sometimes they go off if there’s a major temp shift like when HVAC off and sun hits windows). When I get one of those I immediately turn off and re-set the alarm, If anyone’s inside I’ll know soon enough.

Have been close to home a couple times when motion false alarm goes off, drove home within a minute or two, enter cautiously w gun drawn, never actually had a break in. Once had an issue where didn’t close deck door properly on a windy day, entry sensor went off where someone would break in if they were going to, freaked me out a little. cops came to house, tripped every motion sensor inside while checking things out (I was an hour way).

How old are the motions? Many issue can plague motions, I would have my doubts it was actually a temp change. Unless you have a high velocity bent located right in front of the motion.

Probably more likely a wire/resistance issue or AC induction

For all the money you spend on firearms, a dog and an alarm sysyem - you can install steel doors/frame and lexan your first floor/basement windows.

How old are the motions? Many issue can plague motions, I would have my doubts it was actually a temp change. Unless you have a high velocity bent located right in front of the motion.

Probably more likely a wire/resistance issue or AC induction

Wireless, SimpliSafe. That’s the [only] knock on their system, the motion sensors are temp sensors really. This time of year when the heat is off and AC not on yet you might get a false alarm if there’s a sun hotpot through a window at certain times of the day. I have a big place (high ceilings) w forced hot air, have to set the motions away from the vents or it sets them off. Especially the toe kick vents in the kitchen/dining room. Otherwise work fine, love the system, have had it (them for 6+ years).

Wireless, SimpliSafe. That’s the [only] knock on their system, the motion sensors are temp sensors really. This time of year when the heat is off and AC not on yet you might get a false alarm if there’s a sun hotpot through a window at certain times of the day. I have a big place (high ceilings) w forced hot air, have to set the motions away from the vents or it sets them off. Especially the toe kick vents in the kitchen/dining room. Otherwise work fine, love the system, have had it (them for 6+ years).

Interesting, the stuff we use is dual technology to help eliminate those type of alarms. Just picking up heat shouldn't set it off but its not impossible. There are so many types of motions.

Back
Top Bottom