.45 Hawken T/C Muzzleloader Help

Hey Everyone,

Im new to this forum and I'm hoping to learn a lot of new things from everybody. My first question: My dad just gave me his old .45 cal Hawken T/C Muzzle Loader to hunt in MA this year. Does anybody have an idea of where to get parts for it? I'm guessing T/C wouldn't be an option as they don't make these anymore. Also looking for other supplies like if they make a cleaning kit specifically for .45 cal or is there another way to go? Also what kind of Ammo would be best for Deer hunting? And other tips for hunting with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all very much! I can't wait to get to the range with this bad boy. It needs a really good cleaning and not sure if the barrel is pitted at all. My father stuck a piece of tape over the muzzle when he stored it, so hopefully it did it's job. The nipple is very rusted and I'm hoping it will come out after spraying some WD-40 on it? I got some Never Dull for the brass and barrel. A good furniture polish was recommended to clean up the stock. Any suggestions for brand or another type of polish/oil?

Don't use WD-40. It's a water displacer ( that's the WD). Go get some PB Blaster at the hardware or autoparts store.

Use a real nipple wrench on the nipple.

You can probably get parts on ebay, too.

Callaghan's firearms in Marlboro does a lot of the sidelock BP stuff.

Don't use WD-40. It's a water displacer ( that's the WD). Go get some PB Blaster at the hardware or autoparts store.

Use a real nipple wrench on the nipple.

You can probably get parts on ebay, too.

Callaghan's firearms in Marlboro does a lot of the sidelock BP stuff.

This. PB blaster is good stuff.

Hopefully the barrel is ok. Before I got too involved I would take a good look at the bore. If there is that much rust at the nipple I question the condition of the bore and the bolster (what the nipple is mounted on).

Another source would be Nicks Sporting Goods in Palmer. They have a pretty good selection. The powder is kept out back in a fire proof safe. I have had excellent luck with Goex which is real black powder.

I had good luck with a PRB (Patched Round Ball) and with the TC Maxi ball out of my 50 caliber ML which has a 1:48 twist.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.muzzleloaders-45-caliber.html

www.trackofthewolf.com is a good site for black powder stuff. I have a 50 cal T/C renegade and the thing is a tack driver at 100yrds. You can clean with a jag and patches, I use the brush sparingly as to not damage the barrel. Do not use modern gun cleaners, use either water, water/Ballistol or plain Ballistol for cleaning. Modern cleaners with make it 10x harder to clean the rifle. As for loads, you're going to have to hit the range and experiment with different bullet, patch and powder combinations. Search google for some good loads to test out, there will be no shortage.

If it's aflintlock, English Flints (handmade) work waaay better & last a lot longer than sawn (factory made) ones

Boiling water with dish soap is good to clean 'em

Maxi-balls are wicked accurate & @250 grains, give ~44magnum performance (round ball is marginal for deer)

Stick a balloon over the muzzle to keep rain & snow out - beeswax toilet rings have a lifetime supply for waterproofing pan-frizzen-flashhole.

Get a silent ball discharger (CO2 powered) one of the world's greatest inventions:
http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Sho...04218380/Cabelas-CO2-Load-Discharger/4225.uts

Last edited:
This. PB blaster is good stuff.

Hopefully the barrel is ok. Before I got too involved I would take a good look at the bore. If there is that much rust at the nipple I question the condition of the bore and the bolster (what the nipple is mounted on).

Another source would be Nicks Sporting Goods in Palmer. They have a pretty good selection. The powder is kept out back in a fire proof safe. I have had excellent luck with Goex which is real black powder.

I had good luck with a PRB (Patched Round Ball) and with the TC Maxi ball out of my 50 caliber ML which has a 1:48 twist.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.muzzleloaders-45-caliber.html

I don't want to be sinking money into it, if it would be the same amount to get a brand new or slightly used TC or CVA. I'm trying to get out in the woods this year as i got a zone 10 surplus tag as well. It doesn't hurt to see how much parts are. Another worry would be if the threads in the bolster will strip out trying to get the nipple free. Fingers crossed. Thanks

www.trackofthewolf.com is a good site for black powder stuff. I have a 50 cal T/C renegade and the thing is a tack driver at 100yrds. You can clean with a jag and patches, I use the brush sparingly as to not damage the barrel. Do not use modern gun cleaners, use either water, water/Ballistol or plain Ballistol for cleaning. Modern cleaners with make it 10x harder to clean the rifle. As for loads, you're going to have to hit the range and experiment with different bullet, patch and powder combinations. Search google for some good loads to test out, there will be no shortage.

I just took a quick look at that website. They definitely have a lot to offer. Thanks!

I don't want to be sinking money into it, if it would be the same amount to get a brand new or slightly used TC or CVA. I'm trying to get out in the woods this year as i got a zone 10 surplus tag as well. It doesn't hurt to see how much parts are. Another worry would be if the threads in the bolster will strip out trying to get the nipple free. Fingers crossed. Thanks

You should be able to find them used for short money. The last one I bought was a TC White Mountain Carbine in .50 caliber for $75.00. The prices came way down once the inlines caught on in Mass.

Drop a bore light down the barrel to see what you have.

Bob

Welcome to the world of BP shooting...

FWIW you might consider taking the MDFW blackpowder course. While not required it is very informative.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/hed/course-descriptions.html#black

When I took the course..probably 20 years ago.. the instructors suggested Sam Fadala's book as THE definitive resource. I have a copy that I keep as a reference, and agree with their statement whole-heartedly. Mr. Fadala's book covers about anything you want to know and then some..

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Blackpowder-Handbook-Fadala/dp/0896893901/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

For stuck nipples, I have had good luck with Freeall..apply it..let it set for a bit..let the oil do the workl. You would be wise to order some spare nipples in any case, and give them a light coat of anti-seize, before re-installing the nipple. And don't forget a nipple wrench if you don't already have one.

In my 20 years of BP shooting, the best cleaner I have found, and I have tried several.. is plain Dawn dish detergent, and HOT water.. like this..

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/clean.htm

Also, BP shooting is as much art as it is science. How you load the rifle, and what components you select, can make the difference between frustration and amazement.. I bought a copy of the Dutch Schoultz system and was VERY pleased with the results.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Best of luck.

Last edited:
So I took the gun out and actually looked at it closer. The stock has surface mold on it, the ramrod is discolored on the spots that the sleeve was covering as well. What could I use to get this out? Or back to new again?

Surface mold? I'd try Lysol or Mr Clean and hot water. If the ramrod is original wood, I'd consider a synthetic replacement as wood can shatter. Even light surface rust isn't necessarily a problem as long as the rifle is in sound condition.

Back
Top Bottom