.45 ACP vs .45 AUTO

Catoperat

NES Member
I was asked this question this morning and didn't know the answer:

"What is the difference between .45 acp ammo and .45 auto ammo?"

I assume they will both shoot well out of a .45 1911.

Thanks for any clarification!

the only time you need to worry about .45 ammo is when it is G A P
(45GAP). That is for a orphan of a gun made by Glock that never caught on with the consumer market, kind of like 10mm.

.45 auto and .45 acp are the same. .45 auto rim is for revolvers. .45 long colt is just that .45 long colt. .45 gap is for the worthless glock it is chambered for. before i get put down not all glocks are worthless just the .45 gap and that is just my opinion.

the only time you need to worry about .45 ammo is when it is G A P
(45GAP). That is for a orphan of a gun made by Glock that never caught on with the consumer market, kind of like 10mm.

Motivator45GAP.jpg

To me it's rediculous how many different cartridges there are, each almost indistinguishable from the ones next to it. I think that 9 cartridges should be enough. A small, medium and large caliber, each with a small, medium and large case behind it.

To me it's rediculous how many different cartridges there are, each almost indistinguishable from the ones next to it. I think that 9 cartridges should be enough.

So Howard Johnson's and Baskin-Robbins should only have nine flavors?

So firearms development should have ended with the introduction of cartridges and - perhaps - smokeless powder?

So anyone with a gun designed more than, say, thirty years ago should have to forego factory ammo?

Yeah, that's a plan.

To me it's rediculous how many different cartridges there are, each almost indistinguishable from the ones next to it. I think that 9 cartridges should be enough. A small, medium and large caliber, each with a small, medium and large case behind it.

What is small? .22? .380? 9mm? Does 9mm fall as Medium, or is it still small? What about .40? Are your small/medium/large going to be .22/9mm/.45?

Most of the rounds that are out there in general production have filled some sort of niche. .45ACP for the big boom pistols, 9mm for the high cap crowd, the beloved .40S&W sort of fills in the gap, .357 sig fills in the gap for people who like hotter rounds, .380 and .32 are for the really small and microscopic defense guns, .22 is ubiquitous...rounds like .45LC are anachronistic, but retain value for other shooters. .45autorim would, I'd imagine, let you load for your revolver exactly as if you were loading for your semi, just with a brass swap.

In your 9 rounds, would you sacrifice one of these "useful" rounds for something that people love for fun, like the .500S&W?

And besides, even if there are dozens and dozens of cartridge types out there - why do you care? Dick's and Wally World only stock a handful of the most common ones. Most guns shops only use a tiny bit of space for the uncommon rounds. People that shoot a lot of the non-mainstream rounds either look high and low for them, or reload. They shoot them because they like to change it up, because a historical piece they have uses them, or because it fills some sort of personal niche. I doubt you'll start seeing 9mm makarov replacing all of the 9x19mm on the shelves at DSG.

I see your point, that there are a ton of types of rounds out there and if everything used 1 of the 9 it would be easy to stock it all..but those that choose the oddball rounds accept the difficulty in finding ammo. I respectfully disagree with your position [grin]

To keep this mildly on topic, the diversity in ammunition does cause some confusion (like the .38S&W up for karma in the member section), but a glance at the box can mostly eliminate that. It doesn't help that manufacturers don't always call the same round by the same name (Do I have a 9mm parabellum, a 9mm luger, or a 9x19mm gun? Is this a .380ACP or a 9mm Browning? .45ACP or .45Auto?)

Points well taken. [grin]

I'm one to talk. In my closet I have 3 rifles I must reload for: 30-40Krag, 35 Whelen Improved and a Winchester High-wall in R2 Lovell (a wildcat of a wildcat).

Scriv! It's nice to have you back!

ETA: Hey! I just noticed I've got all 3 sizes! .22 (R2 Lovell), .30 and .35. (Sm, Med, Lg)
(But then there's all the .22LRs and the 30-06. You're right. Spice of life.)

Last edited:
I think it is ridiculous how many different planes there are, each almost indistinguisable from the ones next to it. Heck, just look at Gulfstreams line: G150, G200, G250, G350, G450, G500, G550, and G650. That's just a single manufacturer!

I think that 9 planes should be enough. A small, medium, and large, each in slow, medium, and fast versions. [wink]

I just took this to be a tounge in cheek comment. Maybe I was wrong.[thinking]

It's a shorter version of it.

I bet you can get the same 'performance' using properly sized 185gr SWC lead bullets in a .45 S&W case over a charge of IMR Trail Boss.

Yeah, I pulled the ultimate online faux pas and didn't RTFA (read the f'in article). My fault.

I suppose with revolvers, any correct caliber case can be cut down shorter and still used (within reason). It'd be pointless after a point, and there probably already exists a working solution. Some people like to invent itches to scratch.

Back
Top Bottom