• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 acp feed problem

I took a Taurus 1911 45 in trade.(gun is new) I was having a problem with jams using winchester white box hollow points. The rounds would start into the chamber but the rear of the shell wouldn't slide up. This caused the round to stay at an angle jamming with the slide 1/2 open. this happened maybe 3 times out of the box of 50. Is this a mag problem or a problem with the case rim catching on the extractor. I haven't been able to find any more ammo to try other mags. This is my first time with a 1911 style 45 so i'm still a little green....[wink]

Sounds like too much extractor tension. The rim can't push the extractor out of the way as the case tries to slide up the breech face. Do check the breech face for a burr though.

I had similar prob with mine when new, the shape of the hollow point makes a world of diff. I tried several including some of those expensive defense loads, I had a drawer full of unusable ammo. Once I switched to golden sabers all was better btw never a jam with ball, ever.

I had similar prob with mine when new, the shape of the hollow point makes a world of diff. I tried several including some of those expensive defense loads, I had a drawer full of unusable ammo. Once I switched to golden sabers all was better btw never a jam with ball, ever.

as soon as my primers come in......[angry] i'll load up some ball ammo. Factory ammo is scarce as hell here.

Attachments

• 52146-HighAngle2.jpg
    52146-HighAngle2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for the link. mine looks like this condition,maybe not as much angle though. "Type II, High Angle, view #2: Note the angle at which the round is presented, causing it to nose up into the chamber."

Does it only happen to the last round in the mag?

Does it only happen to the last round in the mag?

no, it was mid way through the mag. the gun did come with 2 factory mags and 2 other 1911 mags. I really didn't pay attention as to what mag was in the gun when it jammed. I will do more testing once i can get an assortment of ammo.

If the gun is new it may only need to be broken in. I would put about 1000 rounds through it before I started to worry.

Back
Top Bottom