3D printing

how did you get one, I only see them on pre-sale right now at Creality's site:

View attachment 763394

$600 ... that's badass
a canadian co-worker of mine received his K1, says he is quite happy with it.
i did not talk much to him about it, only odd part was - he says it does not work with cura. dunno how it can be so, have no details.

a canadian co-worker of mine received his K1, says he is quite happy with it.
i did not talk much to him about it, only odd part was - he says it does not work with cura. dunno how it can be so, have no details.
There's no K1 profile for Ultimaker Cura slicer; since Ultimaker has no incentive to cooperate with Creality (a competitor) to make an official plug-in, he'll just have to wait for a user-contributed one to show up.

Generally first thing users do after buying any Creality printer is ditch Creality Print for prusaslicer.

There's no K1 profile for Ultimaker Cura slicer; since Ultimaker has no incentive to cooperate with Creality (a competitor) to make an official plug-in, he'll just have to wait for a user-contributed one to show up.

Generally first thing users do after buying any Creality printer is ditch Creality Print for prusaslicer.

I always used Cura-like slicer on my crealities. I think there is an open source branch or something.

With sprite extruder my bedslingers print at 120-100mm/s, speed is limited only by extruder heater as it is not capable to continuously melt filament at faster than 14-18 mm^3/s.
My concern with 5s1 is that it has same sprite extruder I use now. Dunno.

New k1 model seems to have much beefier design there, and claims 600 speed vs 250 of 5s1. I bet when k1 will go mainstream 5s1 prices will drop down to a level where 3v2 is now - an under $100.
It can move at those speeds - printing is another story.
Even a 40 watt heater has plenty of energy to run faster than about 15mm^3/s - the issue is transfer to the filament.
Special nozzles will get you up into the 25 range on the same hot end.

Can you all recommend where you get printable files from for our hobby related stuff?
Just want to collect files for future possibilities.
Also any recommendations for free design type software?
Depends on what files you want?
Printable guns, reloading, accessories?

Fusion 360 is free for hobby use.

I still use Cura
Creating a profile isn't all that hard.
My Tronxy X5SA Pro that I modified had no profile - didn't take long to create one.

Can you all recommend where you get printable files from for our hobby related stuff?
Thingiverse has a lot of printable files for reloading and stuff. I’ve found 95% of the items to be decent.

I design in either Tinkercad for really simple stuff (and the learning curve is really low) or Freecad for more complex stuff, but the learning curve is higher (at least for me).

Plus if one has access to any educator email address to respond to a confirmation email- you can activate all features for free.

Thingiverse has a lot of printable files for reloading and stuff. I’ve found 95% of the items to be decent.

I design in either Tinkercad for really simple stuff (and the learning curve is really low) or Freecad for more complex stuff, but the learning curve is higher (at least for me).

big problem with free 3D shit is that it's a mesh, you can print it, scale it with slicer, but if you want to edit it on say Fusion, the mesh (surface) needs to be converted into solids which is PITA and never gets good results.

A lot of dudes who pump out 3d models are outside US, so for 20-30$$ you can ask for an actual solid model, which is totally worth it in some cases.

For guns ... use torrents, there are usually packs with assload of designs, too many in fact and most of them are half baked and made for specific parts. By the time you figure what is what, you may as well have phd in 3d printing guns.

Yes I'm interested in all three plus other things for woodworking and maybe stuff for around the house that maybe useful. As I'm totally new to all this and it seems interesting I would like to get files for what piques an interest for possible future projects. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me with very limited time available. You know how that goes LOL!

Yes I'm interested in all three plus other things for woodworking and maybe stuff for around the house that maybe useful. As I'm totally new to all this and it seems interesting I would like to get files for what piques an interest for possible future projects. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me with very limited time available. You know how that goes LOL!
I don't design guns but have a few reloading items on thingiverse under my user name Pastera.
I've modded a few of my designs for people here on NES along with some new designs.

I do Fusion 360 and OpenSCAD if you have any questions on those

Interesting video. Makes me again wait till it will be clear if any of those printers can be hacked to use standard klipper software for control.

View: https://youtu.be/FPjTeTDb7r8

Same vibe on reddit

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/13rseam/creality_k1_short_review/

Unless the board is write locked it can have klipper installed.
You may have to do some digging to map the I/O but it is not insurmountable.

But if you need to go that far, building your own isn't out of the question

Unless the board is write locked it can have klipper installed.
You may have to do some digging to map the I/O but it is not insurmountable.

But if you need to go that far, building your own isn't out of the question
some other reddit post says somebody got it rooted - but i get there isn't a klipper branch made for it yet, that would use the screen and rest of the device.

i think the core issues as stated are not easily fixable - the thin 6mm rods that flex, the cable chain that collides with the lever of the extruder, the popping lid when print head moves to the far right, and the filament end sensor that is not operatable and needs to be removed in order to swap filament without torture.

may be more reviews and more people chiming in will bring more clarity and some instructions of how to deal with it all. to have a nice looking enclosure was a core feature, if it is done sloppy and not really usable as is - it is not good.
i also did not realize the p1p was a 254mm cube and this K1 is 220x220x250.
it is a pretty big difference too.

OpenSCAD, the difference with other CAD systems is that you write your model like code, instead of tinkering with trillion buttons and menus. Really easy to make parametric models.

some other reddit post says somebody got it rooted - but i get there is no yet a branch made for it yet, that would use the screen and rest of the device.

i think the core issues as stated are not easily fixable - the thin 6mm rods that flex, the cable chain that collides with the lever of the extruder, the popping lid when print head moves to the far right, and the filament end sensor that is not operatable and needs to be removed in order to swap filament without torture.

may be more reviews and more people chiming in will bring more clarity and some instructions of how to deal with it all. to have a nice looking enclosure was a core feature, if it is done sloppy and not really usable as is - it is not good.
i also did not realize the p1p was a 254mm cube and this K1 is 220x220x250.
it is a pretty big difference too.
For most people the K1 is fine.
Remember the P1P isn't enclosed and is ar least $100 more so you are looking at a $300 difference to get it "the same".
You can add a really nice tablet to the K1 for a lot less.
But if you are thinking about modding a K1 immediately then stepping up to the P1P is an easy

OpenSCAD, the difference with other CAD systems is that you write your model like code, instead of tinkering with trillion buttons and menus. Really easy to make parametric models.
It can be tough to get complex shapes with chamfers and radiused edges.
But it works great to do customizable parts like powder/shot bushings, bullet seating stems, etc.

For most people the K1 is fine.
Remember the P1P isn't enclosed and is ar least $100 more so you are looking at a $300 difference to get it "the same".
You can add a really nice tablet to the K1 for a lot less.
But if you are thinking about modding a K1 immediately then stepping up to the P1P is an easy
dunno, i still see no real need to upgrade the setup i have now, at least not for the things i try selling. plus sales stagnated greatly, i probably need to find new ways to advertise, but, just too lazy to do it. for the volume i need to print now 2 setups i have is more than enough, and for my own personal stuff i am never in a hurry - the 100mm/s speed is ok as is.

as of this moment there is no clear documented path to make neither k1 nor p1p to work with standard klipper, and until somebody else will work out all bugs - i think it is rather silly to jump on that train. from what i saw in the youtubes so far - i really do not like what is done there interfaces wise, it will have to wait until all of that would be easy enough to get rid of and reflash.

dunno, i still see no real need to upgrade the setup i have now, at least not for the things i try selling. plus sales stagnated greatly, i probably need to find new ways to advertise, but, just too lazy to do it. for the volume i need to print now 2 setups i have is more than enough, and for my own personal stuff i am never in a hurry - the 100mm/s speed is ok as is.

as of this moment there is no clear documented path to make neither k1 nor p1p to work with standard klipper, and until somebody else will work out all bugs - i think it is rather silly to jump on that train. from what i saw in the youtubes so far - i really do not like what is done there interfaces wise, it will have to wait until all of that would be easy enough to get rid of and reflash.
P1P opens up the ability to use the multi-material add ons which are a big plus for many people

P1P opens up the ability to use the multi-material add ons which are a big plus for many people
yes but it wastes a ton of filament right now on a switch, from what i read. stil, yeah, it is a neat feature, to mix colors.
that add-on thing for multi-filaments alone costs more than both of my current printers, i think. :)

yes but it wastes a ton of filament right now on a switch, from what i read. stil, yeah, it is a neat feature, to mix colors.
that add-on thing for multi-filaments alone costs more than both of my current printers, i think. :)
The newer slicers are getting better about the "purge" waste when switching filaments, they can intentionally dump the transitional filament into the infill and/or supports, instead of just dumping it in a purge tower. Another option is to use the mixed filament to print a second model where color doesn't matter. I use this to make disposable table leveling wedges.

If I was really into multi-material, I would look at dual-nozzle printers (single printhead w/two nozzles which extrude independently). Faster too.

Last edited:

... instead of tinkering with trillions libraries and code :)

OpenScad is def less polished. I'm no pro with Fusion, but I do a lot of modeling and mocking things up in space. I stick with basic functionality and examining how things look in space (spacing, clearances) ... for more advanced things I typically looks things up.

how did you get one, I only see them on pre-sale right now at Creality's site:

View attachment 763394

$600 ... that's badass
Funny how this has USB and ethernet as well as wifi as file transfer options. I seriously wish the X1 Carbon had more than JUST wifi. Or that you could actually configure the network settings on it. IMO, the settings could be fixed with an update. Would be interesting to know if the Creality model offers something better than 2.4GHz wifi (the only option on the X1). IMO, there are other faults with the X1 (or the AMS) in it's current version. For what the thing costs, it should be far better (IMO).

I just placed an order for the MK4. Will be putting my delta up in the classifieds as I get closer to it shipping.

I almost pulled the trigger on an x1, but I have a friend who grabbed it and its been swapped out once and it might be swapped out a second time. First layer will not adhere.

I just placed an order for the MK4. Will be putting my delta up in the classifieds as I get closer to it shipping.

I almost pulled the trigger on an x1, but I have a friend who grabbed it and its been swapped out once and it might be swapped out a second time. First layer will not adhere.
what makes this $1k bedslinger any different from all other bedslingers? you think a discounted $270 creality s1 pro would not perform the same?

and no pun intented - i never used prusas and unlikely to begin, so, only curious. looks very expensive to me for what it offers.
as more i look at it all - the more i think of what it all really does this thing below doesn`t.

1687902276431.png

Last edited:
what makes this $1k bedslinger any different from all other bedslingers? you think a discounted $270 creality s1 pro would not perform the same?

Well for me I wanted something reliable. I know a few people that have Prusa printers who have had very little downtime.

My first printer was a diy core xy. I forget the name, but it wasnt a kit just instructions and a parts list, I had to buy random parts and cut my own vrails extrusion.

I picked up an Ender v3 next and spent too much time fiddling with to get decent prints. I preferred my DIY over that. I dumped the ender for an ultibots D300vs which has been a work horse. But I don't need the Z height and want the faster speeds of the new printers.

I picked up the MK4 kit so it's $300 less. Never had a Prusa and I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom