• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 magnum of impending doom

KDK

Hi all,

I reloaded some .357 magnum. The brass is headstamped "A USA". It was given to me by a friend who fired it once. While inspecting I found a case with a horizontal axial "cut" about a quarter inch above the rim. This cut didn't circumvent the whole casing. only on one face. I scrapped that piece and continued to reload. After the process, I found a loaded round with the same imperfection. I have included a photo below.

4y8umanu.jpg

amy2y4u3.jpg

My question is. What could this be? Is it defective? Should it be discarded? (I am compelled to do this unless I receive overwhelming support to the contrary.) Should I scrap the whole batch?

If it is relevant the rounds are loaded with 6.0 grains of Unique so not very hot.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree it's no good. I'm not sure it's case head separation, I mean it's once fired. Either way it's getting pulled and the brass will go to brass heaven.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I believe that anything marked A USA is made by Armscor. I've had a couple issues with their brass and anything Armscor ends up in the scrap bucket.

I have some armscor 30 carbine I bought new and shot and it reloaded just fine and shot really well. So not all of it is junk.

I'd be real curious to examine a round out of the box and then after firing to see just wtf is going on.

the only thing I wondered about is if it was in a semi-auto like desert eagle or something

I was thinking the same thing as mac1911. I had an 1893 Marlin with excessive headspace but it was in .30/30 and I don't know if the .30/30 headspaces on the rim or at some point on the shoulder

My Henry Big Boy 357 causes a slight bulge at the base due to headspace but never looks this bad. I measured the bulge to be about 0.005" of a difference from the rest of the case IIRC.

This brass was fired once out of a ruger sp 101. I think it's just bad brass. The lengths off the brass were all different ranging from approximately 1.70 to 1.90. Also the case mouth wasn't square. So I'm going to pull this one, fire the rest and scrap that brass. I'll have to try and source some decent .357 brass soon. Thanks everyone for the help.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm new to reloading but have been doing it for a few good months and this stuff by far is the least consistent brass I've yet seen. It's going to get recycled and from what I've seen online though limited the A USA headstamp does not get good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom