• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 Mag w/ 148 gr DEWC OAL?

Kevin l

NES Life Member
NES Member
Hello all,

I've got a box of Roger's 148 gr. DEWC for .38 Spl / .357 Mag and I can't seem to find any load data that tells me what the OAL should be. The OAL in my Lyman's 49th edition for 38 Spl using the 150gr. solid wadcutter has an OAL length of 1.317", but this does not allow the cannelure to line up for the crimp. The tip of the bullet is about .152" from the case mouth, which leaves about .085" between the case mouth and cannelure.

Google searches led me to other several other forums where the opinions vary significantly from leaving it at 1.317" OAL to seating it flush with the case. Does anyone have or know where I can find any 38 Spl and 357 Mag load data for the 148 gr. DEWC? I'd like to use W231 and Bullseye powders.

Thanks!

I've never loaded them, but every time I see anyone else shooting them they are always loaded flush. If you're loading 38 Spl cases to shoot in a .357 Mag gun you have a lot of flexibility so I'm not really sure it matters a whole lot. Hmmm, I guess my answer is pretty useless to you.

-Cuz.

I have loaded thousands of DEWCs and always loaded them flush with the case mouth with a taper crimp. Be careful, most DEWCs are intended for low velocity target loads and may be prone to barrel leading if you try to push them over 800 fps.

Hello all,

I've got a box of Roger's 148 gr. DEWC for .38 Spl / .357 Mag and I can't seem to find any load data that tells me what the OAL should be. The OAL in my Lyman's 49th edition for 38 Spl using the 150gr. solid wadcutter has an OAL length of 1.317", but this does not allow the cannelure to line up for the crimp. The tip of the bullet is about .152" from the case mouth, which leaves about .085" between the case mouth and cannelure.

Google searches led me to other several other forums where the opinions vary significantly from leaving it at 1.317" OAL to seating it flush with the case. Does anyone have or know where I can find any 38 Spl and 357 Mag load data for the 148 gr. DEWC? I'd like to use W231 and Bullseye powders.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't use either of those powders. I use AA#2 and use (in a .357 case)
3.5gr of powder and I have a OAL of 1.385" on my load sheets. You should crimp on the
crimp grove regardless of what the length is. I also have a load for .38spl but I have
never loaded this as I use .357 cases almost exclusively these days. That would be 2.6gr
min, 2.9gr max AA#2 and again crimp on the crimp groove. If I loaded this I would probably
go with 2.75gr (center point). On the .357 the MV is around 800-825. I got my loading
from the AA Web based update. I have seen these loads listed as Cowboy Action loads in
some of the manuals. Look for these and you might find one for the 231. You should be
able to find something in the .38 caliber vs .357.

Also, see this topic: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28621

Especially Eddie Coyle's response to me.

Last edited:
Gammon / Cuz - I don't suppose you'd have any info on specific powder charges used with the bullets seated flush would you? I have purchased reloaded ammo with wadcutters but I never paid any attention to the load details. The bullet was not seated flush, but pretty close to it.

Patriot- This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll get some AA#2 and check out the cowboy loads. In the meantime, I'll put together a bunch of EC's loads with W231.

Thanks!
Kevin

Gammon / Cuz - I don't suppose you'd have any info on specific powder charges used with the bullets seated flush would you? I have purchased reloaded ammo with wadcutters but I never paid any attention to the load details. The bullet was not seated flush, but pretty close to it.

Patriot- This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll get some AA#2 and check out the cowboy loads. In the meantime, I'll put together a bunch of EC's loads with W231.

Thanks!
Kevin

Sorry, but all my load data was developed using 38 cases.

The answer to seating flush or to the cannelure

From within the thread referenced from the Patriot's post above looks like HBWCs are usually seated flush with a light roll crimp and DEWCs are seated to the crimp groove.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=366036&postcount=6

BIG GUN said:
2.7G of Bullseye was the standard forever using the 148G wadcutter in 38 spcl.
I would suggest that 3G would be fine in 357 brass.

Gammon said:
Sorry, but all my load data was developed using 38 cases.

Thanks BG & Gammon, Appreciate the input.

From within the thread referenced from the Patriot's post above looks like HBWCs are usually seated flush with a light roll crimp and DEWCs are seated to the crimp groove.

It depends on the bullet.

I have DEWCs with a crimp groove (about 3/32" down from both ends of the bullet), and I load those to the crimp groove and roll crimp.

I laso have some DEWCs without a crimp groove (Berrys plated bullets). I load these flush and roll crimp them.

OAL

whats with the OAL length.with what your doing you could crimp them any were.but crimp them in the top grove and forget about OAL.plenty of room in 357.if you were loading hot that might make a difference I load flush because I use them in a S&W mod 52.and I use Hornady HBWC.the lyman bullet I crimp in the crimp groove for my S&W mod 10.I could keep them in x ring at 50 ft[no more]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom