.308 battle rifles

Why is it everyone says it's soooooo difficult to scope an M1A?

I slapped an A.R.M.S. #18 on mine and if I can do it anyone can. Aside from knocking out the roll pin on the guide the "toughest" part was taking a Dremel to cut out a relief on the handguard for the set screw.
did you have to purchase the additional top rail extension for optics mounting ?
no, I use the vortex crossfire 2. It has a longer eye relief and I actually use a cantilever mount and I reversed it to get it a little closer to the eye relief I like. I have the buffer tube style stock and I have the Magpul extended cheek weld mounted on a ctr Magpul stock. It’s a heavy rig no doubt but it’s a tack driver for a battle rifle.

To add, if OP was interested in measuring group sizes, he likely wouldn't be posting this thread and would instead be looking at a hyper-acccurized AR or Remington 700. I'm willing to bet that if you compared the average American conscript GI with a M14 to an Aussie or Kiwi with a L1A1 in Vietnam, the guns wouldn't be that much different in accuracy. To get the M14 platform into its current state took decades of development by CMP shooters - the guns weren't shooting 1MOA in 1963 except for the match guns.

To give any meaningful statement about which gun is more accurate, we should be comparing specific examples, not making vague generalities. Because none of us are comparing an actual FN FAL to an actual mil-spec, select-fire M14.
they where not generally shooting moa either ... A national match rifle built by armorers only needed to be 3 moa and the ammo at the time while the M118 match ammo was good to go at around 7" groups at 600 yards tested with the best lots of ammo and accuracy testing devices, in the testing tunnels.

Its all fun.

The simplest and most versatile thing in .308 is an "AR10" (quotes because this covers a family of similar designs, generally though its a dpms pattern we see today)..

I'm not sure you can get a carry handle upper, and true carry handle sights for them are hard to find (but attainable if you stay on it).. however a typical M4/AR15 carry handle sight assembly works and looks just fine (just doesn't cover the whole rail), coupled with an FSB or iron sight atop the gas block you've got a solid classic looking rifle that remains very modular..

If you want optics and accuracy, there are very little limits to doing so practically on an AR10.. anything from a red dot blaster SBR in 7.62nato to a 20x scoped 24 inch heavy barrel in 6.5 creedmoor are commonly put together.

If you just want a historic classic rifle to hang on a wall and shoot occasionally there are better choices, but in terms of function, versatility, and cost you can't beat AR10.

Back
Top Bottom