2nd Handgun recommendations.

Thanks to the advice of a number of very kind gents here, I made my first purchase of a Sig P229 .40 from Carl at F.S. last year. I really enjoy shooting it, even though I feel I need a something with a slimmer grip for better control (5'6, overweight, stubby fingers). My budget this time is a little more lax with a max of $2.5k (which is actually too rich for my blood...but...meh) though hopefully no more than $1k. I was originally thinking custom 1911 Les Baer /Wilson Combat/Nighthawk until I checked the roster...and...well...you know the rest.

Now I'm thinking S&W 1911 or Walther PPS, but neither appears to fit the bill. What I 'need' is something in a single stack or a ds which is thinner than the p229...with the reliability and accuracy (at least) of a Sig...caliber can vary...but ammo should be reasonably priced and readily available (9 mm-.45) so I can get some practice in. That sounds suspiciously like a single stack sig...but the way I've been given to understand it, there's no such thing, for MA at least.

I know I appear to be asking for alot, but ideas would be much appreciated.

I would probably go with something along the lines of a 1911. Maybe an S&W? With the left over cash,either buy ammo or if you feel a strong urge to spend money take it to somebody like LaRocca do make it even better.

CZ75 (B and SP-01), or an EAA Witness. The CZ and full capacity magazines for it will be a lot easier to find in MA, but if you get a .45 (CZ97 or Witness) it only holds 10 rounds anyway. Having stubby fingers shouldn't make too much of a difference, you just need to work on your grip.

Well you've started off with a fine firearm. Sigs are great. Not my style but I can appreciate a tried and true design.

The next logical step is a 1911! As far as your stubby finger situation, pretty much anyone can attain a very comfortable grip on a 1911 with the proper grips and main spring housing.

Have you given a browning hi-power any thought, shooting 9mm would be a little better on the wallet. Or even a 1911 chambered in 9mm. you would get the best of both worlds. just my .02, everyone has different tastes

"Well you've started off with a fine firearm. Sigs are great. Not my style but I can appreciate a tried and true design.

The next logical step is a 1911! As far as your stubby finger situation, pretty much anyone can attain a very comfortable grip on a 1911 with the proper grips and main spring housing."

-Within the 1911's available to me in MA, which make/model should I shoot for? I watched an instructional series called 'Fighting Pistol' and the instructor could not recommend 1911s because of the alleged lack of reliability inspite of the great accuracy which is why I'm on the fence with the 1911 and really wanted a (supposedly reliable) custom.

"Have you given a browning hi-power any thought, shooting 9mm would be a little better on the wallet. Or even a 1911 chambered in 9mm. you would get the best of both worlds. just my .02, everyone has different tastes "

Do we have new Browning Hi Power's available in MA? How do they compare in accuracy and reliability with Sigs?

Last edited:
Tyrion; Do we have new Browning Hi Power's available in MA? How do they compare in accuracy and reliability with Sigs?[/QUOTE said:
I dont know about new but there are plenty of used ones around and i have never heard a bad thing about one that was purchased used.

We have a Browning Hi-power and it is a great gun. I have tiny hands, and have no problem holding or shooting our 1911.. I of course am partial to Glock 17's[smile]

I have no problem wrapping my pudgy fingers around my smittys, a 6906 and a 5906...which is now the Model 5906TSW Pistol. I don't know if the 6906 is still being made. They are light, compact, and reliable.

Thanks to the advice of a number of very kind gents here, I made my first purchase of a Sig P229 .40 from Carl at F.S. last year. I really enjoy shooting it, even though I feel I need a something with a slimmer grip for better control (5'6, overweight, stubby fingers). My budget this time is a little more lax with a max of $2.5k (which is actually too rich for my blood...but...meh) though hopefully no more than $1k. I was originally thinking custom 1911 Les Baer /Wilson Combat/Nighthawk until I checked the roster...and...well...you know the rest.

Now I'm thinking S&W 1911 or Walther PPS, but neither appears to fit the bill. What I 'need' is something in a single stack or a ds which is thinner than the p229...with the reliability and accuracy (at least) of a Sig...caliber can vary...but ammo should be reasonably priced and readily available (9 mm-.45) so I can get some practice in. That sounds suspiciously like a single stack sig...but the way I've been given to understand it, there's no such thing, for MA at least.

We have a Browning Hi-power and it is a great gun. I have tiny hands, and have no problem holding or shooting our 1911.. I of course am partial to Glock 17's[smile]

You have tiny hands yet you are partial to a Glock 17? Man, I've got average size hands and my old G19 was too blocky for me! You're a trooper I'd say. :)

I know this isn't within what you said you want, but what about a .22? Cheap, fun, great for practicing. You could get a RIA 1911 and a Ruger MKIII with your budget :p

Last edited:
I'm looking very seriously at a MK III hunter or a Model 41, but idk if I want to spend the extra dough on the S&W. Anyone fired both and noticed a huge diff.?

I can't decide on a S&W model for the 1911. Maybe I should break down and get a PPS with all the extra care that goes into a 1911. I mean I clean my guns after every range trip, but worrying about 'snag issues' and 'extractors', etc. seems like too much headache. I'm not sure I want a gun that I can't strip, clean, and put back together without a PhD and without adversely affecting reliability or accuracy.

Last edited:
I have a Hi-Power and they're great guns. I mean it was designed by John Moses Browning as an improvement to the 1911 so how can you go wrong? Although you'd have to buy used they'll still be a good option. As for you're budget and the desire for a 1911 I'd say check out Remsport out in Ludlow if you want something really nice and custom. I've heard nothing but great things about them and their work looks top notch. And given they're local you can go to he shop and design in person. Once I have the funds saved up that's my plan.

Last edited:
That sounds suspiciously like a single stack sig...but the way I've been given to understand it, there's no such thing, for MA at least.

Sig has the MA compliant P239 in 9mm, .40SW and .357Sig. That gun will likely fit your hand better, and if it doesn't, try it with Hogue grips.

Sig has the MA compliant P239 in 9mm, .40SW and .357Sig. That gun will likely fit your hand better, and if it doesn't, try it with Hogue grips.
This is the way to go IMO, it's what I have had to do to get something to fit right.

If you are looking for something in a smaller caliber for hand size only, try the Sig 232 or Beretta .380. The Sig 220 .45 fits my hand fairly well too. Another option could be a M&P with the adjustable back straps, both full size or compact. Or a new Glock IV if you have a LE connection. Keep trying until you find the right one for your hand.

Buy the Smith and a couple extra magazines,spend the remaining 1.7k on ammo. Shoot it until your fingers bleed.Dont clean it so much. Youll end up a good shot with a good gun.

the instructor could not recommend 1911s because of the alleged lack of reliability inspite of the great accuracy which is why I'm on the fence with the 1911

IMHO, this is absolutely nuts.

If you want a hi-power, or a 239 or a USP compact, that is fine. All are great guns in their own way. But, the 1911 is +/- 100 years old and probably in the top sellers every year. This is absolutely due to their accuracy, reliability, flexibility, history, ergonomics and style.

There is no other pistol out there that has the flexibility that the 1911 has. This gun truely IS a platform.

I second the motion for a CZ75B. I have smaller hands and it fits me like a glove. It has the added benefit of having a Kadet .22 conversion kit available that is amazingly accurate.

The thing is built like a tank. I bought a second one recently NIB to hand down to my son some day. That is how much I love that pistol.

Buy a Ruger.22. Spend a bunch on .22 ammo. Put the rest away until later. "Shoot it until your fingers bleed" ( I like that line.) But do it with purpose until you can really hit the target.

Once you get to the point where you can really shoot then think about the next one in a larger caliber.

"Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Hope that helps,

Buy a Ruger.22. Spend a bunch on .22 ammo. Put the rest away until later. "Shoot it until your fingers bleed" ( I like that line.) But do it with purpose until you can really hit the target.

Once you get to the point where you can really shoot then think about the next one in a larger caliber.

"Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Hope that helps,

You know...I already own a P229 in .40 and shoot it more accurately than I do a Ruger MIII Hunter. IDK what's up with that. I also have this weird thing about my SD firearm being brand new. I'll likely end up with a used P220 for the range eventually, but for now I'm settling for a P239...but I can't decide on a caliber. I've done a bit of reading and haven't come to any real conclusion (I'm dimwitted that way). So I need people who know what they're talking about once and for all...if ever (god forbid) I put someone down (a horrible way to say it, I know)...will there be any real difference between 9mm and .40? (we're talking bodyshot here, as opposed to a head-shot).

Thanks again.

It's so unreliable that the military only used it for nearly 100 years before they found something else.

I don't know if I'd necessarily associate millitary bureaucracy with ... there's no good way to say this.

Anyhow, I see your point. Thanks for the input.

This is the way to go IMO, it's what I have had to do to get something to fit right.

If you are looking for something in a smaller caliber for hand size only, try the Sig 232 or Beretta .380. The Sig 220 .45 fits my hand fairly well too. Another option could be a M&P with the adjustable back straps, both full size or compact. Or a new Glock IV if you have a LE connection. Keep trying until you find the right one for your hand.

Thank you both. That's exactly the way I'm going...just on the fence about the caliber now.

We all know that a 45 will always be the best defensive round when it comes to personal defense, its been tested tried and true. military and police are stearing away from the 9mm due to lack of knock down power, you already have a .40. I shoot 9mm, its my round of preferance and heres why. First and formost, any round will always be affective if placed properly. 2nd, if you encounter multiple targets at once you are going to want something that easy to control in the recoil aspect. 3rd, you want some thing that you can practice with without destoying your bank account, but be very comfortable with carrying on a daily basis, knowing it will get the job done if needed. I am not an expert by any means but the the 9mm is still a heavily relied on caliber for self defense, and there is nothing better than being able to afford to practice with your carry gun. I don't know about you but i haven't achieved my millionair status yet. Others may critisize my view on this but i'm just giving my opinion on the subject.

So I need people who know what they're talking about once and for all...if ever (god forbid) I put someone down (a horrible way to say it, I know)...will there be any real difference between 9mm and .40? (we're talking bodyshot here, as opposed to a head-shot).

Thanks again.

If you use quality SD ammunition, there should not be any significant difference.

The key question is, is the price difference between 9mm and .40 (as much as $5+ per box) so high that you will not practice as much with the .40 as you would with the 9mm? If price is a big factor, get the 9mm. If not, you already have a .40 Sig... so stick with that caliber.

P.S. the P239 is a very accurate and ultra reliable handgun. If you like Sigs, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom