.22LR High Velocity question

Hi, I'm hoping someone can assist. What is the difference between .22LR cartridges and .22LR High Velocity cartridges? Are both ok for an indoor range? Thanks!

The difference is speed. Many indoor ranges have a speed limit and do not allow high vel rounds. If your shooting it out of an expensive target pistol, stick with standard velocity. High vel can break your pistol. High Standards were known to crack slides when high velocity ammo was used. Rifles, I've never concerned myself about hurting them.
Highscore

Reading all the posts about accuracy and speed I's like to submit the following. My local club hosts a 200 yard smallbore match each year and the shooters have found that subsonic ammo shoots better at that distance than standard or high velocity. Sounds kind of strange but it has to do with the bullet not having to drop down below the speed of sound which throws off accuracy. Who would have thunk!
HS

It's still lead only where I shoot.

I have never heard of a range that did not allow 22LR plated ammo. The stated the reason for no jackets ammo (at one of my ranges) is due to splatter and the jackets separating and causing damage to the range/shooters.
There are ranges that don't allow any exposed lead as well.

I shoot a Marvel conversion unit and feed it CII standard and it works great.. went to the range and had an old box of Rem hyper vel and when I pulled the trigger it fired three rounds..scared the crap outta me..needless to say they don't go into my pistol ever again

Back
Top Bottom