.22LR fascination? Please explain.

Jeeezus.....what is not skinflint for you man....[wink] nothing really of it. I just seem to see you use skinflint often.

I guess I just got bored with it because I used to blast off about 800+ rounds of .22 LR on every range outing. [laugh]

Blowing apart an old laptop with .22 LR is pretty entertaining. You can golf with it too, .22 LR will chip golf balls in the air.

-Mike

Lets see....some uses for .22 of the top of my head: Steel Challenge, Bullseye pistol, Appleseed, Small game hunting

I don't do any of those things except SC, and I can shoot that with a normal handgun, one that doesn't make me want to throw it downrange when it jams every 5 minutes.

-Mike

People think that some day when society collapses they'll need 50K rounds of it to ensure the survival of their family.

[rofl]

Easier to set off with a hammer, rock, pipe wrench, etc for those shits and giggles/drunken, impress your friends dares,

whereas clamping down a center fire cartridge in a vice and striking the primer with a center punch or nail is too complicated and time consuming.

I guess I just got bored with it because I used to blast off about 800+ rounds of .22 LR on every range outing. [laugh]

Blowing apart an old laptop with .22 LR is pretty entertaining. You can golf with it too, .22 LR will chip golf balls in the air.

-Mike

Golf ball shooting is fun.....
Few weeks ago I took my daughter shooting. After 50 rounds through the Rascal my daughter wanted to try the 22AR.... I set this up for 100 yards with a inexpensive red dot.

That day there was a gent shooting his tacticool AR at a 5" plate. I asked him if my daughter could shoot at it.... " what with that thing" as he points at the 22. I said yes. Gave my daughter the nod.
Pow , ping ,pow, ping ,pow ,ping ,pow no ding Pow ding .....8 out t of 10 not to shabby.
I seen him just standing there with the WTF look. I asked him if he wanted to try it......"hell yes"
Now he shot 6 out of ten.. my daughter and he took turns loading and shooting random objects on the 100 yard berm

I don't do any of those things except SC, and I can shoot that with a normal handgun, one that doesn't make me want to throw it downrange when it jams every 5 minutes.

-Mike

Maybe your limp wristing that 22[wink] depends on the pistol I guess. My SW 41 has been extremely reliable. My MKIII,Hunter was moody but eventual I found a few choices in ammo that work well.

Introducing new shooters, and good for teaching fundamentals of wind/drop/etc.

More fun than dry fire. Low wear. "Enough gun" for many things, in a pinch.

Takedown Rossi pump "trunk gun" that I can keep sealed with 100 rounds (CBs through Stingers, Aguila SSS, and a couple of other specialty rounds), ready to go, broken down in the back of the car, without having to worry about any AWB states I'm driving through.

Take your pick. I know it's not exciting.

Maybe your limp wristing that 22[wink] depends on the pistol I guess. My SW 41 has been extremely reliable. My MKIII,Hunter was moody but eventual I found a few choices in ammo that work well.
Very interesting. I'm one of 3 people on my clubs Bullseye team that sold our Model 41's because even multiple trips to Smith and Wesson for new extractors couldn't get them to stop stovepiping. We're all shooting Pardini's now. One of the beautiful thinks about a Ruger Mark III including the Hunter is that they eat any ammunition without problems. That's why I have kept both of the ones that I have (MKIII Target, and MKIII Hunter). I do not know anybody who has a 'moody" Mark III. (unless they refuse to clean it which to be honest is a PIA).

As to the original question Bullseye, plinking (Mark III and Ruger Single Six) and most of all shooting 100 yard groups and 200 yard steel with my CZ 452, Marlin 925, and Ruger 10/22 target. I can shoot 200-300 rounds on any nice day without blowing out my shoulder or my ears.

Because my other rifles are .308 and that sh*t gets expensive quick, for what I spend on one cheap 200 round Prvi battle pack I got 2000 rounds of .22lr.

That and my mother is jonesing to get another day of Guns and Grub. I take her to the range and we go for lunch afterwards, problem is she just had back surgery 5 weeks ago and I told her she's not taking her pistol but she can use my MkIII and 597.

22 plate shoots are a great way to teach kids marksmanship. Plinking at the range with my son is a great way to pass a sunday afternoon. I stock more 22 than other cals because can easily go through 1000 rounds in a weekend.

Very interesting. I'm one of 3 people on my clubs Bullseye team that sold our Model 41's because even multiple trips to Smith and Wesson for new extractors couldn't get them to stop stovepiping. We're all shooting Pardini's now. One of the beautiful thinks about a Ruger Mark III including the Hunter is that they eat any ammunition without problems. That's why I have kept both of the ones that I have (MKIII Target, and MKIII Hunter). I do not know anybody who has a 'moody" Mark III. (unless they refuse to clean it which to be honest is a PIA).

As to the original question Bullseye, plinking (Mark III and Ruger Single Six) and most of all shooting 100 yard groups and 200 yard steel with my CZ 452, Marlin 925, and Ruger 10/22 target. I can shoot 200-300 rounds on any nice day without blowing out my shoulder or my ears.

What generation 41 did you have, mine is colder model has the weights and factory brake 1967 I believe. it's like anything else seems you can find trouble with any gun.
. My MKIII goes about 1500 rounds with aquila extra. I then simply open the action and flood with brake clean. Quick shot of clp and good to go.

The most reliable 22 I ever had was a remington nylon 66. Years of use. It was,not hard for my brother and co to shoot 20k rounds in the summer growing up. That nylon 66 was never cleaned.
It had to see 3000 rounds a year for many years. It was not really accurate though.
I have a remington 552 speedometer that eats anything including shorts. Thats a great rifle. Again it's a older model. From early 60s ....

Last edited:
I was thinking about this

Between a .22lr, and a .22 pellet airrifle. I wonder which is cheaper to stock up for.

One of those nice .22 gamo whispers sound nice..

A 22 pellet and a 22lr is how I came to be proficient at taking free standing shots, and especially moving ones such as squirrels tapping trees and other Varmints that are on the run.

Dean

I hadn't shot a round of .22 for twenty years until that shortage hit a couple years ago, then it became my favorite cartridge. Hmmmm, go figure, right?

Why do I shoot .22LR?
Because it's the only caliber my Anschutz 54, Kimber 82G, S&W 41, and High Standard Victor will chamber.

22's are fun, it's just that simple.
Or at least it is for me.

I've got handguns in .22, .380, .38/.357, 9mm and .45.
I've got rifles/carbines in .22, .22WMR, .223/556, .38/.357, 9mm and .308.

I enjoy shooting all of them, but the .22's are just plain FUN.

Plate shooting, benchrest, offhand silhouettes, it's all good.
Among others I've got a S&W SS 6" 617 with a red-dot, a Ruger 10/22, a Savage Mark2 bolt action, a couple of Browning BuckMarks...

When I take friends to the range, I'd rather not burn up too much 30-06 or 308 at current prices. I can afford to let somebody shoot my 10/22 for about as long as they are willing to reload magazines for ;)

Plus it is just plain fun. They are like a bigger better pellet gun.

Back
Top Bottom