.22LR Coyote

Makes sense.
The restriction on handguns is during deer season. If you are hunting other game in other seasons that a handgun is allowed on that game animal you can carry a handgun if it meets the caliber rules. Bear, coyote, squirrel, and rabbit can be taken by handgun in certain zones. So your good to go as long as you pay attention to all the restrictions.

Right-o. I just wasn't 100% clear on if carrying two different firearms was good to go (not during deer season).

My reason for questioning this is years back I had a brief conversation with an EPO who told me I should not be carrying anything besides a shotgun while duck hunting. I questioned why it would be a problem since a handgun concealed on my person is obviously not for the duck hunting part, but just for personal protection like every other day of the year I'm carrying it. He said something to the effect of "You cannot hunt duck with a handgun so there should not be a handgun on your person while you're duck hunting." :/

Right-o. I just wasn't 100% clear on if carrying two different firearms was good to go (not during deer season).

My reason for questioning this is years back I had a brief conversation with an EPO who told me I should not be carrying anything besides a shotgun while duck hunting. I questioned why it would be a problem since a handgun concealed on my person is obviously not for the duck hunting part, but just for personal protection like every other day of the year I'm carrying it. He said something to the effect of "You cannot hunt duck with a handgun so there should not be a handgun on your person while you're duck hunting." :/
The whole you can't have a side arm on you when you're duck hunting is about the dumbest thing I've heard when it comes to Fish & Game. Its like that in a lot of states. If the animal doesn't have 9mm bullet holes in it, I'm not hunting with my 9mm. It's all about control, don't ever forget that.

The whole you can't have a side arm on you when you're duck hunting is about the dumbest thing I've heard when it comes to Fish & Game. Its like that in a lot of states. If the animal doesn't have 9mm bullet holes in it, I'm not hunting with my 9mm. It's all about control, don't ever forget that.

Oh I hear ya. Concealed means concealed as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: fur the sake of clarification: this is with regard to night hunting in MA, where the use of rifles is restricted to those with a chamber size no larger than that of.22LR.

Two coyotes down so far with the pew-pew 22LR MP15-22, and thermal scope. Head shot, inside 40 yards, is what I've resigned myself to. For ammo I opted for Aguila Interceptor, as it carries the most energy and is not difficult to procure. I've passed up a few shots with this setup but that's where I'm at with the restrictions imposed in MA.

This off season I'd like to pick up the perfect "Mass afternoon/evening 22lr coyote rifle (lol, seems weird typing that) and scope combo".

What would everyone pick?

A 10/22 (not a huge fan) with an oversized scope?

606969E1-F33A-4C23-84B7-219B70964E67.jpeg
This off season I'd like to pick up the perfect "Mass afternoon/evening 22lr coyote rifle (lol, seems weird typing that) and scope combo".

What would everyone pick?

A 10/22 (not a huge fan) with an oversized scope?
It’s this Savage a22, which destroys the 10-22 out of the box cheaper, with sightmark ir night vision scope.

If I were going to be hunting coyote with a .22, I'd want CCI Stingers or Minimags, or a .22WMR. I have yet to actively hunt coyote though so I have no experience with how easy they drop. I don't think I'd try a body shot on one with a .22lr of any sort though, at least around New England. The ones I've seen around my neck of the woods are big bastards!

+1 for CCI Stinger, .22's. Hard hitting for a .22, but .22 mag does it better. That said, my brother got a yote in his yard with plain old .22 lead, standard velocity.

Could you use a lever action in .357/.38 at night if you use .38?
From the reg

Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.

Pretty self explainatory. A lever action RIFLE would be restricted to 22lr.

"handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber"

cd38special.jpg

cd221remingtonfireball.jpg

38 Special 23.4 grains of water. .221 Fireball 22 grains of water. A .221 Fireball would fit in a 38 Special Contender chamber and its volume is less than the 38 special. Bullet diameter/weight is obviously less too. The Fireball is smaller, must be good to go... [banana]
As an added bonus, you don't need an artificial light. [laugh]

firing a ".221 fireball" - Bing video
search

I took a more conservative option with the 22 TCM, not being larger than a 38 Spl in any dimension. I don't want to be arguing case volume differences with an EPO.

994px-22tcm_prm.jpg

More or less the same ballistically as the 22 Hornet, based on 223 brass. A little fussy in the Contender so far, mostly because I'd forgotten how poorly it deals with even slighty oversized brass. Gotta take my die down a few thousandths.

Match Grade Machine has it as a standard chambering, built me a nice little 13" barrel. Not as flashy as the Fireball, though.:D

Back
Top Bottom