• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any predator (bobcat and coyote) hunters used a light grain .30-06?

Hi,

I wondered if any coyote and bobcat hunters have used a 110 grain or lighter .30-06 load.
I am down to my Tikka T3X light bolt-action stainless .30-06. I use to have a Ruger SR-556VT.

I used a 375H&H a long time ago on a bobcat, I was boar hunting and took advantage of the opportunity, cleaning was easy but I barely got a shoulder mount out of it

Hi,

I wondered if any coyote and bobcat hunters have used a 110 grain or lighter .30-06 load.
I am down to my Tikka T3X light bolt-action stainless .30-06. I use to have a Ruger SR-556VT.
Dont see why you couldn't.

Before I got my Ruger Ranch 5.56..... I used a .243 with a 55 grain bullet.....nearly 4000 fps. Just becareful if you load max powder the velocities can burn the rifle barrel out. I don't shoot a lot of those loads.

Dont see why you couldn't.

Before I got my Ruger Ranch 5.56..... I used a .243 with a 55 grain bullet.....nearly 4000 fps. Just becareful if you load max powder the velocities can burn the rifle barrel out. I don't shoot a lot of those loads.
talk about a blaster! is it still plasma when it hits the target, or has it had time to solidify again?

I used a 375H&H a long time ago on a bobcat, I was boar hunting and took advantage of the opportunity, cleaning was easy but I barely got a shoulder mount out of it
Yeah, that makes sense, so meaty a round. I wouldn't mind my first bobcat blowing it in half in one way. But it would be nice to just get the job done "humanely" and get a mount. There was a video of kid on YouTube out west with a 7mm Magnum. He was in a grass alley between shrubs and inside a complete wood blind with roof. He shoots a bobcat. I couldn't help but laugh. I guess that's when you know you're a hunter!

I saw a coyote during deer/shotgun season.... One 12gage 2 3/4" 1 ounce slug can really open up the chest cavity! :(

Attachments

• MP-Coyote-121121-Skin1a.jpg
    MP-Coyote-121121-Skin1a.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom