.22LR Coyote

ETA: fur the sake of clarification: this is with regard to night hunting in MA, where the use of rifles is restricted to those with a chamber size no larger than that of.22LR.

Two coyotes down so far with the pew-pew 22LR MP15-22, and thermal scope. Head shot, inside 40 yards, is what I've resigned myself to. For ammo I opted for Aguila Interceptor, as it carries the most energy and is not difficult to procure. I've passed up a few shots with this setup but that's where I'm at with the restrictions imposed in MA.

Last edited:
Two coyotes down so far with the pew-pew 22LR MP15-22, and thermal scope. Head shot, inside 40 yards, is what I've resigned myself to. For ammo, I opted for Aguila Interceptor, as it carries the most energy and is not difficult to procure. I've passed up a few shots with this setup, but that's where I'm at with the restrictions imposed in MA.
The no buckshot and slugs outside of deer season is even more retarded!

Congrats on the pair though!!!

What are the restrictions imposed? .22 lr sounds borderline unethical to me.. But I am not a hunter either!

What are the restrictions imposed? .22 lr sounds borderline unethical to me.. But I am not a hunter either!
Night hunting in MA. Shotgun, .38 handgun, or .22lr.

Dropped like a stone with a well placed shot. No tracking required for recovery.

ETA, this particular .22LR cartridge is one of the highest energy rounds.

Last edited:
Where are you getting that ammo? I only have the CCI quiet and would like to compare. My 30 mm rings are coming in tomorrow so I can mount my sightmark IR scope.

Two coyotes down so far with the pew-pew 22LR MP15-22, and thermal scope. Head shot, inside 40 yards, is what I've resigned myself to. For ammo, I opted for Aguila Interceptor, as it carries the most energy and is not difficult to procure. I've passed up a few shots with this setup, but that's where I'm at with the restrictions imposed in MA.

What scope are you using?

Where are you getting that ammo? I only have the CCI quiet and would like to compare. My 30 mm rings are coming in tomorrow so I can mount my sightmark IR scope.
Many shops carry it, as it was some of the only stuff available during the .22 shortages. I got a couple bricks of it from Target Sports. It is kinda dirty, so not great for plinking ammo. It's comparable to CCI Velocitor but a lot easier to find.
143-1B222320.jpg

Last edited:
Many shops carry it, as it was some of the only stuff available during the .22 shortages. I got a couple bricks of it from Target Sports. It is kinda dirty, so not great for plinking ammo. It's comparable to CCI Velocitor but a lot easier to find.

Oh yes, that looks familiar now. For some reason i was thinking about subsonic.

Headshots at close range work but that's it. My cousin has taken a handful of them on his property with 22lr all dead on impact......all headshots at 40-50 yards scoped rifle.

Yes the law is stupid......but if the hunter knows the limitations of it and stays within it it works.

Headshots at close range work but that's it. My cousin has taken a handful of them on his property with 22lr all dead on impact......all headshots at 40-50 yards scoped rifle.

Yes the law is stupid......but if the hunter knows the limitations of it and stays within it it works.

I was just agreeing that it's borderline. You need to be close and skilled.

I would not use CCI quiet at more than 15-20 yards.After that it drops in speed and trajectory drastically.
Assuming you are shooting at a live, rather large animal.

I love the hyper velocity .22’s. You might look into Winchester Varmint HE. It’s 37 grains instead of 40, but it’s segmented and 1435fps.

I also have some Federal Spitfire. I think it might be discontinued though. It’s 1500fps but it’s only 31 grains though the speed will lend to its lethality.

And the fastest stuff I’ve found is the Agulia Super Maximum Hyper Velocity, but it’s also light at 30 grains going 1750 FPS.

The rules we have make killing coyote no fun unless your on your own property.
Im just curious what happens when you report an off season massacre on your property.....

Ill probably do the paperwork... you cant trap or poisen.
I never got my litter of puppies, so i disassembled this 30' 48"high puppy pen.
It wont be a trap because it won't have a door. Im gunna put a bait pile in the middle of it and wait.. once there are dogs inside, ill shoot the dogs outside first to give me more time to kill more...

Its not so stupid as I'm going to toss out that 90% of the "hunters" out there can't hit a head of a coyote. Under hunting conditions. The reason they don't want 22lr is there is a very high chance of a wounding shot which just creates a hurt animal that most likely will die a slow death and be more dangerous if coming into contact with people.

That said I have taken small coyote with 22lr 1100 fps ammo at 50 yards from a fixed position and good stable rifle support. The man who took me coyote hunting would generally set up and call them in so we hand a decent frontal or quater shot to the shoulder area. Coyotes are built with the heart and lungs a bit more tucked in between thier shoulders.
Head shot the vital part of thier brains is a bit low and to the rear basically I aim on a side shot if they stay still the intersecting area from top jaw back to under the ear and a slight high hold.

Its not so stupid as I'm going to toss out that 90% of the "hunters" out there can't hit a head of a coyote. Under hunting conditions. The reason they don't want 22lr is there is a very high chance of a wounding shot which just creates a hurt animal that most likely will die a slow death and be more dangerous if coming into contact with people.

That said I have taken small coyote with 22lr 1100 fps ammo at 50 yards from a fixed position and good stable rifle support. The man who took me coyote hunting would generally set up and call them in so we hand a decent frontal or quater shot to the shoulder area. Coyotes are built with the heart and lungs a bit more tucked in between thier shoulders.
Head shot the vital part of thier brains is a bit low and to the rear basically I aim on a side shot if they stay still the intersecting area from top jaw back to under the ear and a slight high hold.
My point about the night caliber restrictions being stupid is technically you can shoot a coyote with a 30-06 (or even a 50bmg) during the day.....but only a 22lr at night. Do projectiles travel farther when the sun sets?

My point about the night caliber restrictions being stupid is technically you can shoot a coyote with a 30-06 (or even a 50bmg) during the day.....but only a 22lr at night. Do projectiles travel farther when the sun sets?
I guess they suspect a higher number of missed shots so a 22lr is the least threatening of stray bullets.

We had a very long .22LR vs. coyotes thread here a few years back.

Summary: northeastern coyotes are much thicker and heavier than southern/western coyotes. Up here, I would not shoot a 60 pound dog with a .22, if I wanted a humane kill. In Texas/Arkansas/Louisiana/Oklahoma, I wouldn't worry about it, since their coyotes top out at 45 pounds, and are frequently 35 pounds or less.

If I were going to be hunting coyote with a .22, I'd want CCI Stingers or Minimags, or a .22WMR. I have yet to actively hunt coyote though so I have no experience with how easy they drop. I don't think I'd try a body shot on one with a .22lr of any sort though, at least around New England. The ones I've seen around my neck of the woods are big bastards!

Maybe since at night it's much more difficult to know what's beyond your target? Not a hunter just thinking of why it could be that way.

I think I already know the answer to this, because MA, but if one were hunting coyote at night with a .22 rifle could he/she also have on their person a handgun of caliber not larger than .38?

I'm thinking that's a negative but that's only based on the fact that you can't have any handgun on you while hunting deer in MA. I know in many other states (all of them probably) it's ok to keep a handgun on you while hunting anything. I've never even hunted outside of MA so I have no experience outside our borders. But if I'm going to take my single shot .22 rifle out at night, I'm sure as hell going to want something else on my hip.

I think I already know the answer to this, because MA, but if one were hunting coyote at night with a .22 rifle could he/she also have on their person a handgun of caliber not larger than .38?

I'm thinking that's a negative but that's only based on the fact that you can't have any handgun on you while hunting deer in MA. I know in many other states (all of them probably) it's ok to keep a handgun on you while hunting anything. I've never even hunted outside of MA so I have no experience outside our borders. But if I'm going to take my single shot .22 rifle out at night, I'm sure as hell going to want something else on my hip.
My understanding is that if the fore arm on you is legal to use your all set. Can you take a coyote with a 38 cal handgun at night....yes. then you can carry it. When in hunt grey squirrel in zone 9 I carry a 22 revolver along with my shotgun to use if I would a squirrel...... Otherwise shotgun and handgun are legal on squirrel in zones 1-9 so I'm good to go.

Back
Top Bottom