• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22LR Conversion Unit - AR15 / M16

Does anyone have any horror stories for using any of these "type" of conversion units?

http://www.22lrconversions.com/atch-pg.htm

I have seen where some people have stated that the leading of the barrel is considerable and could not be removed, blocked gas tube...

Anyhow, just seeing if anyone has any success stories, is willing to debunk those charges... Since a brick of .22LR is really cheap. [wink]

I know a few folks that have them and have had no problems.

I wouldn't buy one myself, because I've got several 10/22's set up for the type of shooting I'd do with the conversion, but, I have considered getting one of the conversions.

I have one, I used it quite a bit, same POI with my dot as 223 and leading is only a problem when you use lead bullets. If you use CCI Stingers there is no problem at all.

I will use mine more when I get the hammer changed on my pre ban lower. It does not cycle the same with the pre ban as it did with the post ban and it is all hammer drag.

AR-15 .22 LR conversion

Those haven't been available for a while. I called the importer and was advised that they had no idea if they would ever have them again. I was told that the import was a one shot deal.

Damn, too bad. They are really nice units. [crying]

I was wondering why I couldn't find them on the ADCO site since I know they sold them at one point.

Maybe that will make mine more valuable. [wink]

I have one, use it frequently, no problems to speak of.

My only word of advice is to make sure your chamber is clean before throwing in the kit. If it is not, it will not seat properly and you will bugger things up a bit.

I have the Ciener conversion bolt and it works great. As someone mentioned, the point of impact is, surprisingly, the same as for the .223, so it is a snap to change out from .223 to .22LR.

I've not had any problem with leading. I use copper plated high velocity .22LR ammo.

There is some gritty stuff left over after from the .22LR you shoot, so cleaning is a good idea.

Those haven't been available for a while. I called the importer and was advised that they had no idea if they would ever have them again. I was told that the import was a one shot deal.

I did some research on this 22LR upper. The designer is an American who had CZ manufacture the uppers under license. He is now arranging to have the unit made in the USA. There are quite a few uppers on the market so you should do a LOT of research before you buy. I have a DPMS unit that I bought from Brownells for $350. It was nothing but trouble (fired out of battery and blew the extractors all over the range) until I polished the chamber and cured the problem. I have done about 20,000 rounds of practice with it so it has saved me quite a bit.

The hardest part of the operation is to get the AR to reliably ignite 22LR ammo; JP of JP Rifles says it can't be done. I am building a lower designed for 22 LR ammo which should cure the problem. Another approach is to use ammo that will work with your lower as there is a big difference from brand to brand. Check out Spike's Tactical for some cool uppers and a beautiful full sized 30 round mag.

I picked one up at Collectors a couple of months ago (CZ .22lr upper). They had 2. Give them a call. The only issue I had was that the mags were rubbing against the bolt, and causing enough friction to cause a ton of cycling problems. I shaved down the sides of the mags, and now the thing runs flawlessly. I love it and highly recommend it. Very accurate too and tons of fun.

Back
Top Bottom