.22lr at 100 yards

SKS Ray

NES Member
My local range is hosting an egg shoot in a few weeks. .22lr rifles with optics at 100 yards. This is my target .22 rifle:

1022resize.jpg

Its no certified tack driver but I can punch a small 1/4" ragged hole at 50 yards with it all day long, mag after mag. The only upgrade I've made aside from the obvious stock is the barrel which is a Butler Creek model. The scope is a BSA Catseye. Cheap but usefull at short range.
My question is what can I add in a week to increase any chances of 100 yard accuracy? I already have a bunch of top of the line Wolf ammo. I'm used to the factory trigger. The scope rings and mount are made by Warne. The Choate stock is more comfortable for me than most target models I've shot. Is the scope my downfall?
I know scope questions have been beaten to death here, but w/out spending over $200 what can I get for decent glass that will give me the same performance at 100 yards that my BSA gives me at 50?

I've got a nice Simmons scope that was less than $100. I would say to try your scope at 100 yards before you replace it though. If it gives you a clear and sharp image and dosen't loose zero, it will probably be good enough.

I have tried the BSA stuff and really didn't care for them. Had pretty poor optics in my opinion. I've got $20 Simmons scopes with better clarity. If it works for you though, why change? Just start shooting it at 100yrds to see what it can do. Regardless which ammo you're using, if that particualr brand works stick with it. Not all bbls, prefer the match grade stuff. Only quick/easy things I can think of is making sure the bbl is floated. May give a slight increase in accuracy, might not. Other wise the next easiest thing is changing the bbl. Butler Creek is ok but there's much better. Sure it'll cost more but you get what you pay for and well, performance costs. Just might not have adequate break-in time though.
Shoot it at 100yrds, see what it's doing and if you're satisfied, leave it. otherwise, psuh through the shoot and start preparing for the next one. (i.e. new 10/22 build ;))

Don't do anything to the rifle but shoot it between now and the shoot.

Anything else you do will change the rifle from what you are used to, you won't have time to practice with. Spend the week working on technique and take a longer term approach to the hardware upgrades.

When you do get around to modding the gun, the first thing I'd do is get a better, crisper, lighter trigger.

That, plus a match-grade barrel, are the best bang for the buck in my shooter's book.

I should have mentioned in the original thread that I did shoot this set up at 100 yards one time before and was all over the paper with poor grouping. At the accuracy I was getting that day at 100, I'd be lucky to hit 40% of any egg sized targets. I will try again in a few days though.

Try some different brands of ammo when zeroing at 100. .22's are very selctive in regards to ammo. What shoots well at 50 yards may not cut it at 100. Don't try the bulk stuff from Walmart, there's usually a reason it's packed that way, ie. questionable lots.

I should have mentioned in the original thread that I did shoot this set up at 100 yards one time before and was all over the paper with poor grouping. At the accuracy I was getting that day at 100, I'd be lucky to hit 40% of any egg sized targets. I will try again in a few days though.

Gotta reiterate about changing the scope at a minimum and while too late now, the bbl too. heck, go to www.RimfireCentral.com and read read read. You'll soon see what works and are the preferred brands.

Back
Top Bottom