• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 question

I assume the ruger 10/22 is considered high capacity due to the preban highcaps availible for it. I have an FID card and need a reliable and resonably priced autoloader .22 for target shooting that is "low capacity". What do you recomend?

Ericman, the 10/22 is not considered a high cap firearm in Massachusetts.

Also,, Marlin Model 60's with 18 round tube fed actions are cheaper, and also not high capacity. The Ruger is a MUCH better quality gun. IMO

Is it not considered high capacity because it is .22 caliber? It can accept high capacity magazines so doesnt that make it a high capacity rifle?

Also, all large capacity Ruger 10/22 mags look like conventional semi-auto pistol and rifle mags, thus, since they are magazines, to be legal in MA they must be pre-ban.

I believe that the 10/22 is not considered large capacity because it was never sold with a large capacity magazine. IF you can find a pre-ban large cap mag you can use that. No, I'm not selling mine. [wink]

I believe that the 10/22 is not considered large capacity because it was never sold with a large capacity magazine. IF you can find a pre-ban large cap mag you can use that. No, I'm not selling mine. [wink]

Dwarven1, you are on the right track.

While the Ruger 10/22 rifle is not on the EOPS large capacity rifle roster, a new production large capacity magazine for that rifle would be prohibited by MGL Chapter 140, Section 131M.

Finding a pre-ban large cap mag for that rifle may be very difficult.

If you live or shoot in MA, buy large capacity mags only with great caution.

Last edited:
Finding a pre-ban large cap mag for that rifle may be very difficult.
One reason I haven't bothered to try and buy another.

If you live or shoot in MA, buy large capacity mags only with great caution.
The mag I'm referring to was purchased in New Jersey sometime in the early 1980's, so I KNOW it's pre-ban. And like I said, it's not for sale. I don't use it that much, but there are times when I just want to send a LOT of rounds downrange in a hurry. Just because I can. [devil]

I have an old pre-ban large cap Ruger magazine. Made by Ram Line I think. I bought it maybe 20 years ago, and it's still in the package. Once I got it, I realized I was shooting bullets as fast as I needed to.

I question though how I would ever prove when I bought the magazine. I don't think I still have the sales receipt ( I might).

No, I don't want to sell it, don't plan to use it. Just like having it.

I assume the ruger 10/22 is considered high capacity due to the preban highcaps availible for it. I have an FID card and need a reliable and resonably priced autoloader .22 for target shooting that is "low capacity". What do you recomend?

Does that mean high capacity 10/22 mags are not restricted, as in I can buy newly made ones?
Where you only have an FID card, you CANNOT posses a large capacity feeding device. Even pre-ban.

Excepted MGL CHP 14 s 129c
The possession of a firearm identification card issued under section one hundred and twenty-nine B shall not entitle any person to carry a firearm in violation of section ten of chapter two hundred and sixty-nine and, the possession of a firearm identification card issued under section 129B shall not entitle any person to possess any large capacity rifle or shotgun or large capacity feeding device therefor in violation of subsection (m) of said section 10 of said chapter 269.

You know, when new licensees in MA get simple, basic questions like this one wrong, I have to wonder what, if anything, their NRA/MSP-certified firearms instructor taught them about Massaschusetts' firearms law.

If you are an NRA/MSP instructor, there is no good excuse for failing to teach this material.

You know, when new licensees in MA get simple, basic questions like this one wrong, I have to wonder what, if anything, their NRA/MSP-certified firearms instructor taught them about Massaschusetts' firearms law.

If you are an NRA/MSP instructor, there is no good excuse for failing to teach this material.

Indeed.

s
Someone was either not teaching or not listening.[rolleyes]

Moreover,

The overwhelming bulk of those Hi-Cap 10/22 mags utterly "hug the root" (suck something royal) pre-ban, post-ban or otherwise. I have two that are as old as dirt and it's "failure to everything" on parade with both of them. I've got a buddy in NH that has a couple that are the newer "updated" post ban mags, which oddly enough, also suck. The only ones that I've heard that were worth a crap are the machined aluminum mags by Tactical Innovations (65.00 each). I don't know if these can be had in a indentifiable pre-ban fashion, so buyer beware!

Moreover,

The overwhelming bulk of those Hi-Cap 10/22 mags utterly "hug the root" (suck something royal) pre-ban, post-ban or otherwise.
I have a 30 round Eagle pre-ban mag for my Ruger... it works flawlessly.

Why do you think I won't sell it??!!

Back
Top Bottom