2023 MA Gun Ban: House has engrossed H.4139, waiting on Senate

This takes effect 6 months after the bill is passed, which means I will be outta here and safely back in the freedom loving South by the time it's in effect. I still plan on calling/writing/meeting with reps etc.

Non Resident permit only issued to specific purpose or peoples

Section 124B. (a) A temporary license to carry firearms or ammunition therefor within the commonwealth shall be issued by the colonel of the state police or their designee in accordance with the qualification requirements and procedures for a license to carry firearms issued under section 124, to:

(i) a resident of the commonwealth for purposes of sports competition;

(ii) a nonresident for purposes of a firearm competition;

(iii) a nonresident who is in the employ of a bank, public utility corporation, or a firm engaged in the business of transferring monies, or business of a similar nature, or a firm licensed as a private detective under chapter 147, and whose application is endorsed by an employer; or

(iv) a nonresident who is a member of the armed services and is stationed within the territorial boundaries of the commonwealth and has the written consent of their commanding officer.

(b) A temporary license to possess a machine gun within the commonwealth, may be issued by the colonel of the state police or their designee in accordance with the qualification requirements and procedures for a license to carry a machine gun issued under section 124 to a nonresident employee of a federally licensed manufacturer of machine guns for the purpose of transporting or testing relative to the manufacture of machine guns, and whose application is endorsed by their employer.

(c) A temporary license issued under subsections (i) and (ii) of paragraph (a) shall be valid for a period of 1 year and may be renewed, if necessary, by the colonel or their designee. A temporary licensed issued under subsections (iii) and (iv) of paragraph (a) and under paragraph (b) may be issued for any term not to exceed 2 years and shall expire in accordance with the terms in section 123B.

(d) The colonel or their designee may permit a licensee under this section to possess a large capacity firearm, and large capacity feeding device; provided, however, that this entitlement shall be clearly indicated on the license and conform with the requirements of section 128B.

(e) A temporary license issued pursuant to this section shall clearly be marked as such and may not be used to purchase or otherwise transfer firearms or ammunition within the commonwealth.

Section 124C. (a) A person with a temporary license issued under section 124B, shall apply to the colonel of the state police or their designee for a permit to purchase, rent or lease a firearm or ammunition therefor if it appears that such purchase, rental or lease is not for an unlawful purpose. A permit to purchase shall be valid for not more than 10 days after issue and may be revoked at will.

(b) Whoever knowingly issues a permit in violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 and by imprisonment for not less than 6 months nor more than 2 years in the house of correction.

Already emailed my legislators. I'll call them later, once I'm off work.
I need to hand-write a couple of letters once I have something more cogent sorted out to say than "this sucks". Setting aside the Constitution, civil rights, and all that, a simple reason it sucks is that the legislature should have better things to focus on than gratuitous culture war attacks on constituents they don't like. How well has that been working out for California and New York?

Of course they have it a new bill number. Now we need new signs.

These people are incessant. Now to see what “changes” they’ve made…
I just want the new signs to be more vague:

Stop HD 4607! Protect our civil rights!

That way we get people that don't care about gun control they just worry about any civil rights. The only way for our pro2a community to know is to call, text, email, etc. I've told a ton of people already.

Of course they have it a new bill number. Now we need new signs.
Nothing nearly so creative on their end.

The old document expired at the end of the last session, in part because it wasn't a bill. The new proposal gets a new number by default.

We knew this would go like this. It's probably my biggest gripe with having a rally against 4420 last week: that document was dead.

Hopefully, we at least maintained a little internal energy for calls and writing.

I need to hand-write a couple of letters once I have something more cogent sorted out to say than "this sucks". Setting aside the Constitution, civil rights, and all that, a simple reason it sucks is that the legislature should have better things to focus on than gratuitous culture war attacks on constituents they don't like. How well has that been working out for California and New York?
I'm increasingly on board with the FPC's "F you, no." How's that for a jumping-off point?

Last edited:
Assault-style firearm”, any firearm which is:

(a) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with the capacity to accept a detachable feeding device and includes any of the following features: (i) a folding or telescopic stock; (ii) a thumbhole stock or pistol grip; (iii) a forward grip or second handgrip or protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (iv) a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor or muzzle break or similar feature; or (v) a shroud that encircles either all or part of the barrel designed to shield the bearer’s hand from heat, excluding a slide that encloses the barrel.

that's just about everything folks!
Doesn't that make all your semi auto rifles AW's? Like the browning blr?

angry magic the gathering GIF

Ware PD went pretty hard in the paint against 4420. Hopefully they do again for this new garbage.

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=591165866506149&set=a.238105061812233

I can pretty much guarantee that if there are LEO exemptions in the new one then they will give this one the big silent treatment. The only thing I could see them complaining about are any new provisions that cause them more work on licensing procedures, and even then I doubt they’ll complain if it doesn’t affect their officers. That was his big mistake the first time around, no exemptions for LEO. It was a moronic move.

I can pretty much guarantee that if there are LEO exemptions in the new one then they will give this one the big silent treatment. The only thing I could see them complaining about are any new provisions that cause them more work on licensing procedures, and even then I doubt they’ll complain if it doesn’t affect their officers. That was his big mistake the first time around, no exemptions for LEO. It was a moronic move.
Probably, but if so they need to be called out for their hypocrisy.

To paraphrase.....the strength of the wolf is when they run with the pack.

So, about 500,000 gun owners in MA. Some say closer to 1 million but lets say we could get 250,000 to kick in $10 bucks a month to GOAL and or COMM2A. That's 2.5 mil in the kitty every month to fight for a just cause. $10 bucks snowballs when, as Pat Buchanan once said in NH after winning the primary, "mount up and ride to the sound of the guns"

We need EVERY 2A supporter to realize it's critical to step up with a few greenbacks.

Back
Top Bottom