• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 Fishing thread

Only because it was a charter. If they were in their own boat or surf fishing they would have had to release it due to the new slot limit regulation.

Bob

A slot limit has been implemented. This slot limit allows anglers to only retain striped bass measuring at least 28" and less than 35" total length. Striped bass measuring less than 28" or 35" and greater must be immediately released. This slot limit replaces the 28" minimum size limit that was previously in effect.......

Exempt from this requirement are recreational anglers fishing aboard a for-hire vessel during a for-hire trip and recreational anglers fishing with a natural bait affixed to an artificial lure that is to be cast and retrieved, trolled, or vertically jigged (e.g., tube and worm).

The second paragraph is about in-line circle hooks, while the first is about the slot limit.

My dad’s customers got this on his charter yesterday. The people had never been fishing before and they get a 50" 50 pound striper!!😮. Unbelievable!
View attachment 379633

Meanwhile I’m stuck on land and my dad is slaying monster bass out there. I’m almost at the point that I don’t want him to text me these photos 😂

I got some good ones back in July or June but I’m dying to get out again😭
In this day and age I wouldn’t expect people would still be wearing blackface.

Been taking the wife out in the raddison a couple of nights a week we've been enjoying the time together. I've been buying shiners for her and I spend most of the time paddling her around to the good spots and I toss a lure here and there but I like watching her fish most of the time. Last Sunday we stayed out later than we planned because the fishing was good. I tied on an old jitterbug I've had in the box for like 20 years at sundown. Omg she saw how that lure worked and she was giddy and laughing about it. I gave the rod to her after my one cast and a big bass slammed it on her first try! She lost it about 5 feet from the boat but was she ever excited! I went to the bait shop after work Monday and bought one for her to have for herself. Went out Wednesday after work and she wanted to start using it at 4:30pm......I told her it's best to use top water lures at sundown so she held off. She calls the jitterbug her "bloop bloop" lure 🤣. Sundown I tied it on for her and she got 3 bass on it. Those lures are fun.....top water strikes are always awesome. If you guys have never fished with your wives / girlfriends it's funny as hell what they come up with for names of tackle and seeing how they react when they catch something is a riot. 😁

My wife loves using poppers and jitter bugs at dusk. I think everyone on the lake hears when she catches fish. They all think she's going to jump off the boat when she hooks the first one of the evening.

. Omg she saw how that lure worked and she was giddy and laughing about it. Those lures are fun.....top water strikes are always awesome. If you guys have never fished with your wives / girlfriends it's funny as hell what they come up with for names of tackle and seeing how they react when they catch something is a riot. 😁

Ha! That's my SO's favorite lure! She just LOVES the action of it...it does NOT matter if it's SUNNY and MID-DAY,
she just chuckles and tosses that thing! :p

Wife got 3 more decent bass on the bloop bloop.....I mean....jitter bug last night. Bass were hittibg top water in the coves pretty good just before sunset. Big wind picked up though but the it was at our backs for the paddle to the truck so all I had to do was stear 🤣

Been taking the wife out in the raddison a couple of nights a week we've been enjoying the time together. I've been buying shiners for her and I spend most of the time paddling her around to the good spots and I toss a lure here and there but I like watching her fish most of the time. Last Sunday we stayed out later than we planned because the fishing was good. I tied on an old jitterbug I've had in the box for like 20 years at sundown. Omg she saw how that lure worked and she was giddy and laughing about it. I gave the rod to her after my one cast and a big bass slammed it on her first try! She lost it about 5 feet from the boat but was she ever excited! I went to the bait shop after work Monday and bought one for her to have for herself. Went out Wednesday after work and she wanted to start using it at 4:30pm......I told her it's best to use top water lures at sundown so she held off. She calls the jitterbug her "bloop bloop" lure 🤣. Sundown I tied it on for her and she got 3 bass on it. Those lures are fun.....top water strikes are always awesome. If you guys have never fished with your wives / girlfriends it's funny as hell what they come up with for names of tackle and seeing how they react when they catch something is a riot. 😁

Years ago when I was first dating my now wife I took her to my families campground in Maine and out fishing. She caught her first decent size fish that night on a jitterbug and was so excited. Her reaction was priceless.

A few weeks later proposed to her and to do it I found my old tackle box my dad gave me when I was a kid after catching my first fish. I put the ring at the bottom and my plan was to tell her how when my siblings and I caught our first fish my dad gave us a tackle box and now that she caught hers she gets one. Then when she finds the ring say “but first you have to be part of the family” and propose.

When I gave it to her she is all excited about the tackle box opens it up and starts rummaging through it asking “wheres the jitterbug??? Did you put the jitterbug I caught my fish on in here?” Totally missing the ring.

Years ago when I was first dating my now wife I took her to my families campground in Maine and out fishing. She caught her first decent size fish that night on a jitterbug and was so excited. Her reaction was priceless.

A few weeks later proposed to her and to do it I found my old tackle box my dad gave me when I was a kid after catching my first fish. I put the ring at the bottom and my plan was to tell her how when my siblings and I caught our first fish my dad gave us a tackle box and now that she caught hers she gets one. Then when she finds the ring say “but first you have to be part of the family” and propose.

When I gave it to her she is all excited about the tackle box opens it up and starts rummaging through it asking “wheres the jitterbug??? Did you put the jitterbug I caught my fish on in here?” Totally missing the ring.
That's awesome.

Have no idea why women like those lures but they just do.

Last edited:
I don't have to fish anymore. Son Mark will be down from Alaska at the end of this month with the usual 50 pounds of frozen salmon and halibut. He does this each year. He will stay to hunt NH and Maine with his NH brothers and Little Jack and will take back a cooler full of venison. Tough life. Jack.

Well yaknow, Margie, uh, its a Raddison. Lol

It's a Sage Payload 10 wt with Rio Outbound Short 10 wt line. I'm starting to like it... a lot. Once the taper is out you can shoot 40-50 feet easy with one false cast.....in the hard-tail game speed of delivery is priceless.
There's bonito all around the Cape right now. That one came from the SW part of Cape Cod Bay.

It's a Sage Payload 10 wt with Rio Outbound Short 10 wt line. I'm starting to like it... a lot. Once the taper is out you can shoot 40-50 feet easy with one false cast.....in the hard-tail game speed of delivery is priceless.
There's bonito all around the Cape right now. That one came from the SW part of Cape Cod Bay.

Sounds like a ton of fun. I have an old Loomis IM6 10 wt and a TFO travel 10 wt that could use a workout. I think the line on my reel is Rio saltwater taper. Using an old Pflueger with a foot conversion and corrosion resistant tool steel drag.

I honestly thought it was a small bluefin. I’m not too keen on saltwater fishes.
Well please...by all means feel free to accuse of me of possibly poaching undersize Federally managed fish when you don't have a clue as to what it is you are talking about.....and of being stupid enough to post photos of same on social media....

Just to help you correctly identify the species in the future this is a small bluefin on the deck of my old boat
tuna.jpg

Last edited:
Well please...by all means feel free to accuse of me of possibly poaching undersize Federally managed fish when you don't have a clue as to what it is you are talking about.....and of being stupid enough to post photos of same on social media....
Oooh touchy. Not sure where you read into my post that I was doing such. I read the regs that 27” is the NOAA minimum for bluefin so I simply asked and assumed it was over 27” but not by much. Carry on.

Back
Top Bottom