• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 Fishing thread

We went out yesterday. Caught a ton of scup. And 12 good size black sea bass. My kids we were so hot I didn't have time to throw in A rod myself. We kept the 3 that weren't going to make it. Released the rest of them. I filleted them up and we had them for dinner.
My thumb was all scratched up from lipping the sea bass. I showed my daughter. She said "That means we had a good day of fishing dad". 😆
2052.jpeg

Nice! Looks like lots of fun.

I bagged 8 bass in total on Sat AM in less than an hour. Culminated in a 2.5ish Larry and a 3lb Sally. Fun times. Then the bite just DIED. No biggie. After 8 fish, I'm good anyhow. My preferred day is to catch one or two real early, then work for a while getting a few. Catch those same 8 fish over 3 hours is much more rewarding. It was my hard work, not right place/time. (And it WAS right place/time. Fish jumping all over the area.)

Sun AM. Decide to just run a bit on a place that SHOULD have fish. An hour working a fairly narrow drop-off. Nada. Not a thing. Rocks. Gravel. Pads deep. Fast drop-off. I got 2 nibbles which were small perch or baby bass. Not a single hit on anything I threw. A few years ago, I was hammering Larrys and Sally's all over this point.

If the weather holds out and I go out on Sat this week, I may throw a crank bait. It's almost time for that to have success. I hit them hard in late August last year with a crank bait and a suspending jerk bait. More with the crank. They liked the motion. Mostly Sallies.

Oh, no meaningful pix. Just ones for the Anglr app. As if that helps. I think it will take YEARS for me to discern some patterns with that. But I gotta put in the time/data in order to find out.

My dad’s customers got this on his charter yesterday. The people had never been fishing before and they get a 50" 50 pound striper!!😮. Unbelievable!
09A6188B-0685-4100-B984-D16F9F72AF22.jpeg

Meanwhile I’m stuck on land and my dad is slaying monster bass out there. I’m almost at the point that I don’t want him to text me these photos 😂

I got some good ones back in July or June but I’m dying to get out again😭

My dad’s customers got this on his charter yesterday. The people had never been fishing before and they get a 50" 50 pound striper!!😮. Unbelievable!
View attachment 379633

Meanwhile I’m stuck on land and my dad is slaying monster bass out there. I’m almost at the point that I don’t want him to text me these photos 😂

Wow he looks like he has ate well. That's a pig

View attachment 379633

NES outing? (Not to skinflint or nothin, but: "Friends and Family" discount)

Wow he looks like he has ate well. That's a pig

Only because it was a charter. If they were in their own boat or surf fishing they would have had to release it due to the new slot limit regulation.

Bob

A slot limit has been implemented. This slot limit allows anglers to only retain striped bass measuring at least 28" and less than 35" total length. Striped bass measuring less than 28" or 35" and greater must be immediately released. This slot limit replaces the 28" minimum size limit that was previously in effect.......

Exempt from this requirement are recreational anglers fishing aboard a for-hire vessel during a for-hire trip and recreational anglers fishing with a natural bait affixed to an artificial lure that is to be cast and retrieved, trolled, or vertically jigged (e.g., tube and worm).

My son nabbed a big Northern Pike Sunday high noon just as we were heading in. Total fluke. Didn't have a net and didn't want it to thrash off or bite us 20200809_144532.jpg trying to grab it. Mr. Pike was kind enough to let us paddle him into the boat ramp where we snapped a few quick photos, revived and released.

Getting geared up to hit the salt in a couple of weeks, and plan to make a small dent in the invasive green crab population while I'm at it.

Ordered a Ketcham trap to try out:

Green Crab Trap – Ketcham Supply Co
using them for bait? Or going to try to eat them? segment on Chronicle about invasive green crabs and how some chefs are trying to use them

using them for bait? Or going to try to eat them? segment on Chronicle about invasive green crabs and how some chefs are trying to use them

Asian shore crabs make great bait too and they're easy to catch with your hands. I tried eating a giant green crab once. Was ok. Not enough meat on them to make it worthwhile.

I suggested consumption to the chef, but she's not having any of that. If I bag enough of the larger ones, maybe I'll attempt something.

Only because it was a charter. If they were in their own boat or surf fishing they would have had to release it due to the new slot limit regulation.
Exempt from this requirement are recreational anglers fishing aboard a for-hire vessel during a for-hire trip and recreational anglers fishing with a natural bait affixed to an artificial lure that is to be cast and retrieved, trolled, or vertically jigged (e.g., tube and worm).

I've surf fished for stripers all my life nearly 50 years. I caught a lot of stripers on surface lures and now because some pin-head fishery experts tell me I have to have a natural bait on my popper (artificial lure). How in the hell do you enforce that law when 90% of the time a striper strike on a popper with natural bait results in the natural bait being crab food. Eff these retards

A recreational charter with a 100K of marine fish finding electronics gets to keep the big stripers.
You sure about that? My (as well as my dad's) interpretation is that the only exemptions charter boats have, is with using circle hooks.

Recreational anglers are now required to use in-line circle hooks when fishing with whole or cut natural baits. An inline circle hook is defined as a fishing hook designed and manufactured so that the point of the hook is not offset from the shank and bend and is turned perpendicularly back towards the shank to form a circular or oval shape. DMF's Circle Hook Brochure has additional information about this gear.

"Exempt from this requirement are recreational anglers fishing aboard a for-hire vessel during a for-hire trip and recreational anglers fishing with a natural bait affixed to an artificial lure that is to be cast and retrieved, trolled, or vertically jigged (e.g., tube and worm)."

You sure about that? My (as well as my dad's) interpretation is that the only exemptions charter boats have, is with using circle hooks.

Recreational anglers are now required to use in-line circle hooks when fishing with whole or cut natural baits. An inline circle hook is defined as a fishing hook designed and manufactured so that the point of the hook is not offset from the shank and bend and is turned perpendicularly back towards the shank to form a circular or oval shape. DMF's Circle Hook Brochure has additional information about this gear.

"Exempt from this requirement are recreational anglers fishing aboard a for-hire vessel during a for-hire trip and recreational anglers fishing with a natural bait affixed to an artificial lure that is to be cast and retrieved, trolled, or vertically jigged (e.g., tube and worm)."

Not sure of a damn thing in this mad house...lol

Back
Top Bottom