2020 Fishing thread

Does anyone have a recommended portable fish finder setup for a canoe? One that can be removed easily to car-top it.

I’ve seen some YouTube videos but they are a few years old and the tech doesn’t seem to be available. Humminbird in particular makes or made a battery-powered unit that clamps onto the gunwales but I don’t think it’s available anymore.

Kayak fishing forums may help. In the meantime,
Best Portable Fish Finders (For Kayaks & Small Boats 2020)

[cheers] Matt

There's always that one that you toss out and it Bluetooths back to you. Not sure it's THAT detailed, but often I think we're just looking for contour.

I'm very torn about what sort of electronics to put in my new boat next year. Honestly, you're talking max-10ft depth. So the width of the beam isn't exceptional. And for the MOST part, the lake is featureless. And the few features that are there, I know.

Soooooo. . . . . I'm just not sure.

But a kayak. On strange water. It would be nice to get contours. \

The other is the Fishhunter by Lorance. Not as sophisticated, IIRC.

You could just clip the unit to your kayak.

My son has a fish finder installed on his new (to him) boat.

When we look at the screen what width are we seeing? Directly under the boat? Or does it go wider as you go deeper?

It's a Lowrance and looks like this:

1593701182419.png

Getting chemo. Doctor says I can't work. I think I might go fishing. Got license @ the Medium Old Bastid rate with a further reduction as I already bought my hunting license. [thumbsup] Got out my stuff. Decided to buy a new UL spinning rod/reel. Got a 7" Ugly stick with a "Woman"s" Pflueger UL reel. Going to some of the "new" FluoroCast 4lb test line. Quick question. Some of my older lures are not quite as shiny as they used to be. Has anyone used a brass tumbler with stainless pins and Lemishine on fishing lures? If not, I just might do it with a few to see what happens.

Getting chemo. Doctor says I can't work. I think I might go fishing. Got license @ the Medium Old Bastid rate with a further reduction as I already bought my hunting license. [thumbsup] Got out my stuff. Decided to buy a new UL spinning rod/reel. Got a 7" Ugly stick with a "Woman"s" Pflueger UL reel. Going to some of the "new" FluoroCast 4lb test line. Quick question. Some of my older lures are not quite as shiny as they used to be. Has anyone used a brass tumbler with stainless pins and Lemishine on fishing lures? If not, I just might do it with a few to see what happens.
Good luck with your treatment. Give it hell!

In regards to your lures, I wouldn't do a thing to anything not metal. In my experience, the more banged up, chewed up, and scratched they are the better they catch! On the metal ones, a little brasso or flitz and you are good to go! Good luck out there and tight lines!

Good luck.

To shine my lures, I use a finger full of wet sand and just rub after I tie it on. Seems to do ok.

Funny how they keep making new lures, but I only have luck with Thomas Bouyants, Rooster Tails and Colorado spoons. Oldies but goodies.

Good luck with your treatment. Give it hell!

In regards to your lures, I wouldn't do a thing to anything not metal. In my experience, the more banged up, chewed up, and scratched they are the better they catch! On the metal ones, a little brasso or flitz and you are good to go! Good luck out there and tight lines!
Thank you.

Good luck.

To shine my lures, I use a finger full of wet sand and just rub after I tie it on. Seems to do ok.

Funny how they keep making new lures, but I only have luck with Thomas Bouyants, Rooster Tails and Colorado spoons. Oldies but goodies.
Thank you.

Slayed the bass this morning. Absolute feeding frenzy with monster bass gorging on pogies. Smallest fish was 44" and I had a couple at 46" and well over 30 pounds. They put up one hell of a fight.
1491E987-5674-434B-AC04-D793DE10328A.jpegF57F1CC8-C8C1-4CB7-BE86-F935DA443FBB.jpegC908ABF9-F193-4CC7-9230-47428D801B98.jpeg6BB6A59F-BA23-4B62-A0D6-68F1E26BF174.png

Anyone doing well in the big ditch? Knee doing OK after surgery but I'm months away from being able to rock hop at the canal. Was dead quiet last time I went.

I've been striking out again this year. Same as last year. Usually I hit the bass pretty hard from mid-May til July 10 or so. Basically from the moment I get my boat in the water until things get too hot. I might get a day or two here and there otherwise.

Last year and this year, my early-season spots have been devoid of bass. My mid-season spots are also not bass-rich. I've got one more place to comb over but I hate that I can't find the fish.

I have to believe they are chasing bait somewhere else. Shallow water is at a minimum. Features are at a minimum. So the bass tend to be pretty spread out.

But 5 years ago, it was not unheard of of grabbing multiple 5+lb fish in a season from the lake.

I'm just frustrated. I hit some fish mid-Aug until I pulled my boat out last year. I'm not confident that I'll do the same this year. LOL. I see pix on FB of guys slamming fish left and right. I went out 3x over the weekend and caught a single white bass. Lost 2 other sallies, but nothing.

I've been striking out again this year. Same as last year. Usually I hit the bass pretty hard from mid-May til July 10 or so. Basically from the moment I get my boat in the water until things get too hot. I might get a day or two here and there otherwise.

Last year and this year, my early-season spots have been devoid of bass. My mid-season spots are also not bass-rich. I've got one more place to comb over but I hate that I can't find the fish.

I have to believe they are chasing bait somewhere else. Shallow water is at a minimum. Features are at a minimum. So the bass tend to be pretty spread out.

But 5 years ago, it was not unheard of of grabbing multiple 5+lb fish in a season from the lake.

I'm just frustrated. I hit some fish mid-Aug until I pulled my boat out last year. I'm not confident that I'll do the same this year. LOL. I see pix on FB of guys slamming fish left and right. I went out 3x over the weekend and caught a single white bass. Lost 2 other sallies, but nothing.
My first year in a boat and I couldn’t hit the water if I jumped out of it! My poor daughter is demoralized. I gave her the George Clooney Perfect Storm line on how I will always get the fish now that we have a boat, lol! Haven’t gone for haddock yet, probably this weekend.👍🏻

Nice fish! Looks like you had a great day. Just curious where were you in the tide cycle? I've been striking out this year thinking about taking a charter out of Marblehead. I want to put my son on something this year.@andrew1220

I hope you took them home and ate them

Not this year!! Unfortunately. Can only keep fish that are between 28 and 35 inches. Still a ton of fun reeling them in

Yup. The damned recreational fisherman are catching all the stripers, not the commercial guys with the drag nets. SO now we get a 7" variance on what we can keep. 7 f***ing inches.

Yup. The damned recreational fisherman are catching all the stripers, not the commercial guys with the drag nets. SO now we get a 7" variance on what we can keep. 7 f***ing inches.
That’s crap. I haven’t done much salt water fishing in a while so it’s essentially all new to me and I’m a little slow so I have to hear it a few times before it sticks.

Back
Top Bottom