2020 Fishing thread

My son caught a few yesterday. We were Fishing the bottom, I told him you have to leave the bait there stop casting and reeling it in, be patient. He told me " It's a technique I've caught three fish you've caught none" Lol. I told him you might be onto something.View attachment 363560View attachment 363561View attachment 363562
Kids do that all the time. Try something unconventional and land fish.

Yeas ago when my son was 10 or 11 we were in the canoe fishing for bass in the edge cover. Using Texas rig and Carolina rig soft plastics. Getting nothing......but it usually worked for me pretty well. My son asks if he can try something else and rummaged through the tackle box and finds an old 6 inch long stick bait I had in the bottom. I told him that ain't gonna work but I'll tie it in for you.....the thing is a HUGE lure way to big for bass Inna small pond (so I thought). First cast he lands a 5 pound bass. 🙄

I hit the Cape Canal from wee hours Friday until ~noon. Tide & weather with a dark day and off and on rain should have been favorable but it was pretty dead. Didn't see anyone catch a single fish and only saw two feeding across the canal on the mainland side. Still had a good day despite the lack of fish and rain. Bumped into someone I know from work (also on a furlough day) and biked the entire length of the canal 2X.

I fished the CCC on Monday...no fish...I did have 3 schoolies that followed my lure in. I only saw 1 schoolie landed...and we had biked the length of the CCC on Cape side and mainland side! Bottom line....SLOW! Not much going on!

Too early, maybe??? All the immigrants stole more-than-one-big-fish-per-day back in 2018??? That was an amazing Summer at the canal. The sheer # of YT videos on it was epic. I only got down there once. A couple of guys were carrying out HUGE fish. (Single fish). Also saw my first live squid. He was trapped in the rocks. I thought it was bait. It was alive. Me and J got it back to the water. That was cool.

I heard of ONE big fish being landed ~2 weeks ago. One, LOL. I know there's more but the scuttlebutt from the regular canal rats is lacking fish stories. Probably still early for the peak migration if people are only seeing a couple schoolies chasing lures. I may be F-ed for getting back to the canal until fall. I'm going to do the first CMP match at Old Colony on Sunday then I get my ACL repaired next week. Will be a long time before I can rock hop again.

I heard about 2018 but missed it. Yeah, lots of recent immigrants which would be OK except there was excessive poaching according to the stories. Tons of NY and NJ plates in 2018 too. The current VERY strong attitude of confrontation and/or reporting any poaching comes from the 2018 free for all followed by a shitty 2019 from what I recall.

I did see a few NY plates last week. I'm not one to get defensive of local turf but it won't hurt my feelings if other are defensive. I have never been bothered- showing up in a MA plate pickup with the expected tackle and not fishing like an @sshole googan gets one a pass.

I still haven't taken the time to learn to fish the canal properly. I've got mostly what I need as far as gear goes, I think.
It's silly because I live within walking distance. I know there's lots of anglers that would kill to live so close to the canal.
I still drive back to Yarmouth and Dennis, the tried and true areas that I know well, to fish stripers. Yeah I'm a dope.

Too early, maybe??? All the immigrants stole more-than-one-big-fish-per-day back in 2018??? That was an amazing Summer at the canal. The sheer # of YT videos on it was epic. I only got down there once. A couple of guys were carrying out HUGE fish. (Single fish). Also saw my first live squid. He was trapped in the rocks. I thought it was bait. It was alive. Me and J got it back to the water. That was cool.

Not too early! The bass SHOULD be in...and of good size! Indeed TONS of BIG bass taken out in 2018....

Canal had a good slug of bass go thru one night last week but only a few got into them then they were gone. The bass have either gone thru or went around but there are more breeders coming, maybe they will go thru at night when nobody is looking.

I heard of ONE big fish being landed ~2 weeks ago. One, LOL. I know there's more but the scuttlebutt from the regular canal rats is lacking fish stories. Probably still early for the peak migration if people are only seeing a couple schoolies chasing lures. I may be F-ed for getting back to the canal until fall. I'm going to do the first CMP match at Old Colony on Sunday then I get my ACL repaired next week. Will be a long time before I can rock hop again.

I heard about 2018 but missed it. Yeah, lots of recent immigrants which would be OK except there was excessive poaching according to the stories. Tons of NY and NJ plates in 2018 too. The current VERY strong attitude of confrontation and/or reporting any poaching comes from the 2018 free for all followed by a shitty 2019 from what I recall.

I did see a few NY plates last week. I'm not one to get defensive of local turf but it won't hurt my feelings if other are defensive. I have never been bothered- showing up in a MA plate pickup with the expected tackle and not fishing like an @sshole googan gets one a pass.

Bring big hooks and wire line. Fish for the GW or two that patrols the Fall instead of the stripers. ;)

My wife and I saw one in the canal in October of 18. THAT was cool. HYUUUUUJ fin coming up out of the water. Surprisingly, the local seals looking for stripers were pretty quiet that day. LOL

Now I know the world is coming to an end. Got a nice fat 27" striper in north river this morning on my favorite Century surf rod on a plug I made. Made a couple more casts and rod snapped 14" from tip. WTF...I go on line to look for a replacement and most/all quality rods are either not available or back ordered. Who'd a thunk...I'm done....

Planning on being on the Cape near Nauset Beach next week. Looking forward to some surf casting. Anyone been on the beach in that area?

I haven't done much fishing on that part of the Cape. If I'm out there it's usually to hike or hunt. Have you ever fished on the outer Cape? The water is cold, the surf is intense, the seals are everywhere. It's probably been 10 years since I wet a line out that way but when I did I think I was just chucking Kastmasters and Hopkins'.

I haven't done much fishing on that part of the Cape. If I'm out there it's usually to hike or hunt. Have you ever fished on the outer Cape? The water is cold, the surf is intense, the seals are everywhere. It's probably been 10 years since I wet a line out that way but when I did I think I was just chucking Kastmasters and Hopkins'.
I have not fished the outer cape in many years. We used to vacation on Nantucket before it got ridiculously expensive a few years ago, there I would fish the eastern shore around Wauwinet and Quidnet. Lots of Blues and some Strippers usually with a Hopkins with a good amount of seals. I am guessing it will be similar conditions

Caught 2 decent bass walking old silver beach last week. One was a dink, 22.5 inches and I snagged him in the tail to boot. The other was a half decent fish, went 29.25 on the tape. Fished for near six hours, from 8:30 to around 2. No pictures cause it was dark as sin and my phone was down in my waders and I was too lazy to fish it out. Not a bad night

My son has his boat at a Marina in Winthrop. They've been catching smaller stripers off dock when the tide is right. No big ones, though.

I was at camp and this little guy hauled in this monster

Camp what? Camp where? Camp when??? What's that thing? 8? 9? 10???

Wow the color really pops in that picture. What did you take it with?

Bob

You won't believe it - iPhone 11. It was just a really really bright bluegill. My wife was jealous that she didn't go with me.

Pro with the 3rd lens. No idea which lens it used. I just opened CAMERA and went "click." It was shockingly orange and on teh bottom and very mottled. Hence the pic in the first place. Most bluegill I end up accidentally catching get tossed back double-quick. Guy attempted to swallow a full-sized spinnerbait. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom