2020 CMP M1 Garand Clinic OCSA , SEASON is OVER

Im trying something different this matchView attachment 375663

Different brass?

I think some folks may be confusing loads for Springfield bolt guns vs. loads for Garand. Mouse fart loads are for the Springfields.

I'll probably load up bargain basement ammo for this next match. If I have enough 'Match Monster' 155's (bulk Nosler CC from Midwest) in PPU brass for the Garand. I'd burn up one of my odd leftover powders but I have tons of Varget and in hot weather Varget is more consistent. Might shoot my Natl Match clone M1 out of competition just for shits and giggles.

If I have time to do a test with the 1903 NM, I might try 125's again- I might have a box of those in the back of the ammo cabinet. Otherwise 168 Nosler CC blems- I have nearly 1000 of those that were stored under a bench & forgotten until I set up the new reloading area. I think one of my best scores ever was with the 1903 NM rifle with 168 SMK's and 46.5 grn Varget. Was kinda cool to score so well with a 1933 made rifle w/ a 1938 barrel.

Different brass?

I think some folks may be confusing loads for Springfield bolt guns vs. loads for Garand. Mouse fart loads are for the Springfields.

I'll probably load up bargain basement ammo for this next match. If I have enough 'Match Monster' 155's (bulk Nosler CC from Midwest) in PPU brass for the Garand. I'd burn up one of my odd leftover powders but I have tons of Varget and in hot weather Varget is more consistent. Might shoot my Natl Match clone M1 out of competition just for shits and giggles.

If I have time to do a test with the 1903 NM, I might try 125's again- I might have a box of those in the back of the ammo cabinet. Otherwise 168 Nosler CC blems- I have nearly 1000 of those that were stored under a bench & forgotten until I set up the new reloading area. I think one of my best scores ever was with the 1903 NM rifle with 168 SMK's and 46.5 grn Varget. Was kinda cool to score so well with a 1933 made rifle w/ a 1938 barrel.
No not different ,
Most of my loads would be safe in any rifle....
Working on a cast load for the garand at the moment. touch under 1900fps with H4895. Should put 7000 psi or so at the gas port and thats about where the powder has pretty much completely burned up
1595789793373.png

Went to the range for some awfulhand practice today. Took the 513T, which for a 22 is heavy and has a terrible trigger. Did OK but still need a lot of practice.

Went to the range for some awfulhand practice today. Took the 513T, which for a 22 is heavy and has a terrible trigger. Did OK but still need a lot of practice.
our old Jr rifle coach if still alive would show us how much we suck with trigger control.
anytime someone would complain about the crappy guns he would show us the crappy guns are more than capable.
IIR C back in the hayday of the 513 era I think it was a 4-1/2lb min trigger?
Anyhow my 513 has a soso trigger but can still group nice when I can.

our old Jr rifle coach if still alive would show us how much we suck with trigger control.
anytime someone would complain about the crappy guns he would show us the crappy guns are more than capable.
IIR C back in the hayday of the 513 era I think it was a 4-1/2lb min trigger?
Anyhow my 513 has a soso trigger but can still group nice when I can.

I figure the 513T trigger is good training and it sure as hell is cheaper than a SCATT system.

maxresdefault.jpg

My friends son is deep into air rifle and wants that thing now. He has one of those $7k + walthers . Hope he sticks with it.

I always like to check out those high end match air rifles. I'd like to shoot one, but I don't think I'd like to buy one. I think I could go for one of the high end PCP's for general purpose, with a suppressor. Something like the ones from RAW or the like. For grins I should see what kind of accuracy I can get from my Sheridan. That thing's about 46 years old and still running fine on original seals. I think I replaced the o-ring on the bolt, that's it. I always thought the stock and grip on the Sheridan /Benjamin was a lot like a scaled down M1 configuration and a little like a mil spec C stock. Honestly, I think that's part of the reason I like shooting the M1, M14, and Springfield. Feels like home.

I always like to check out those high end match air rifles. I'd like to shoot one, but I don't think I'd like to buy one. I think I could go for one of the high end PCP's for general purpose, with a suppressor. Something like the ones from RAW or the like. For grins I should see what kind of accuracy I can get from my Sheridan. That thing's about 46 years old and still running fine on original seals. I think I replaced the o-ring on the bolt, that's it. I always thought the stock and grip on the Sheridan /Benjamin was a lot like a scaled down M1 configuration and a little like a mil spec C stock. Honestly, I think that's part of the reason I like shooting the M1, M14, and Springfield. Feels like home.

the accuracy with todays air guns is getting crazy. Especially with the regulated valves and now the electronic solenoid valves get very consistent pressures.
I had to "de tune" my Discovery to get some accuracy. Velocity range for the 22 cal pellet out of the disco for decent accuracy is about 750 fps it also ups the shot count from 12-15 really good shots to about 25 . My other air guns are pumpers and you can vary the velocity just by the way you pump it not just how many pumps so consistency is all over the place.
They are minute of tree rat inside 20 yards on 8 pumps.

The pumpers range in accuracy on pumps also. When im shooting for groups in the yard I run 3 pumps or the single pump daisy which is minute of black when I can hold it

the accuracy with todays air guns is getting crazy. Especially with the regulated valves and now the electronic solenoid valves get very consistent pressures.
I had to "de tune" my Discovery to get some accuracy. Velocity range for the 22 cal pellet out of the disco for decent accuracy is about 750 fps it also ups the shot count from 12-15 really good shots to about 25 . My other air guns are pumpers and you can vary the velocity just by the way you pump it not just how many pumps so consistency is all over the place.
They are minute of tree rat inside 20 yards on 8 pumps.

The pumpers range in accuracy on pumps also. When im shooting for groups in the yard I run 3 pumps or the single pump daisy which is minute of black when I can hold it

That's exactly what I have, Sheridan Blue Streak, and similar vintage. edit- Ordered some of those H&N FTT's. I'm getting a little low on pellets in the yellow box. Accuracy looks pretty good for a pump. I see some Sheridan basement offhand practice in my future.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I have, Sheridan Blue Streak, and similar vintage. edit- Ordered some of those H&N FTT's. I'm getting a little low on pellets in the yellow box. Accuracy looks pretty good for a pump. I see some Sheridan basement offhand practice in my future.
Jsb and HN run high on best accuracy for me.
The brown box crossman match pellets do well also.

I found 3 sources for the USMC front sight and have one ordered from Dan Stone in Illinois. Hoping I get it in time for this Sunday. It's a little higher than whats on there now...
And another pair of top bifocals reduced strength, should help me see.

I found 3 sources for the USMC front sight and have one ordered from Dan Stone in Illinois. Hoping I get it in time for this Sunday. It's a little higher than whats on there now...

Contact info for both? Thanks

The USMC 1903 front blades do not work with A3 ...... Bill Bentz had the .100” wide USMC style blades for 1903a3

You can also reduce the rear aperture as small as you can clearly see through it.

So I have zero ambition to test loads in this hot humid weather.
I have cases prepped for 30-06 for M1 in up coming match
Just not decided on a bullet
Untested 135gn SMK or 168 noslers
Both pushed around that 2650 range

Might flip a coin or let you folks decide

So I have zero ambition to test loads in this hot humid weather.
I have cases prepped for 30-06 for M1 in up coming match
Just not decided on a bullet
Untested 135gn SMK or 168 noslers
Both pushed around that 2650 range

Might flip a coin or let you folks decide

135's- just because :D. I shot OK with the 125 SMK's in the M1 but nothing special and not something I'd run often because they'd be barrel burners. Helped to get rid of almost all I had left. 135's would be interesting.

Going with cheap reloads for this one. 155 Match Monsters (Nosler private label for Midwest) in some freebie PPU brass for the M1. Springfield loads are 168 CC blems in the same neck sized brass I always use in the 1903. Though I'm sure the forecast can change, I did see a possibility of showers on Sunday. I'm not getting the 1903 NM wet and will shoot something else out of competition. Maybe the Finn Mosin?

Kinda hot and muggy today but I did put on the shooting jacket and get in a little awfulhand practice with the 513T. I'm planning on a Granby trip this Friday as I'm still on 20% furlough and may as well do something fun on my day off. I'll dial in my loads for the Garand and the 1903 plus whatever will be my backup in case of rain. Maybe try cast in the Finn?

135's- just because :D. I shot OK with the 125 SMK's in the M1 but nothing special and not something I'd run often because they'd be barrel burners. Helped to get rid of almost all I had left. 135's would be interesting.

Going with cheap reloads for this one. 155 Match Monsters (Nosler private label for Midwest) in some freebie PPU brass for the M1. Springfield loads are 168 CC blems in the same neck sized brass I always use in the 1903. Though I'm sure the forecast can change, I did see a possibility of showers on Sunday. I'm not getting the 1903 NM wet and will shoot something else out of competition. Maybe the Finn Mosin?

Kinda hot and muggy today but I did put on the shooting jacket and get in a little awfulhand practice with the 513T. I'm planning on a Granby trip this Friday as I'm still on 20% furlough and may as well do something fun on my day off. I'll dial in my loads for the Garand and the 1903 plus whatever will be my backup in case of rain. Maybe try cast in the Finn?
cast are fun , 2400 works well for me. I might load up some 200gn .314s for the arisaka , might run that at vintage again. My three Type 99s are rough but amazingly still can hold the black.
I also scored some 200 gn .312" round nose to try in the arisaka . Really need to see what the sights look like with the new Rx

so Im loading 49 grains of H4895 with the 135 SMK to 3.220" Im bringing some HXP in case I have issues. Should be no problems 49 grains put 10k psi at the gas port.

Back
Top Bottom