• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 fishing tread

Very nice fish, never fly fished salt water but want to get into it. I am used to fishing small water with a short 2-3wt rod so I imagine there is going to be quite the learning curve.

Very nice fish, never fly fished salt water but want to get into it. I am used to fishing small water with a short 2-3wt rod so I imagine there is going to be quite the learning curve.

In salt, I wade the surf primarily, and it's definitely got its challenges. There's a very active fly fishing forum on stripersonline, which is a great resource to sift through.

I find fly fishing in saltwater much easier then trout fishing small streams. I started out fly fishing freshwater then in the last few years have picked up saltwater fishing which I enjoy very much.

Annual Free Fishing Day set for June 2
  • May 15, 2018

5af4b40e6417d.image.jpg

Anglers can fish anywhere in New Hampshire without a license on June 2, this year's annual Free Fishing Day. (Courtesy photo)

Johnson, Rebecca

CONCORD — Saturday, June 2, will be this year's annual Free Fishing Day in New Hampshire. On Free Fishing Day, you can fish anywhere in the state — freshwater or saltwater — without a fishing license. Plan to get out and enjoy the day fishing with your family and friends. Both state residents and nonresidents may participate. All other fishing regulations must be followed, including season dates and bag limits. Anglers participating in a state-approved fishing tournament that day will still need to purchase a license.

"Free Fishing Day is a great opportunity for anglers to take someone out who is interested in 'testing the waters,' or for friends and families to plan a day enjoying the outdoors together," said Jason Smith, Inland Fisheries Chief for the NH Fish and Game Department. "They are sure to be 'hooked' after a relaxing day of fishing."

For details on fishing rules for various waters, consult the New Hampshire Freshwater and Saltwater fishing digests, available at www.fishnh.com/fishing/publications.html.

Anglers can find more information about fishing in New Hampshire at www.fishnh.com/fishing, including lists of waterbodies that have been recently stocked with trout, brochures with regional fishing destinations, the location of public access sites where you can launch a boat or kayak, and much more.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Current e-Edition
↓ Click Below To Read Today's e-Edition! ↓

Most Popular

Stocks
Market Data by TradingView

Sections
Services
Our Location
laconiadailysun.com
1127 Union Ave
Laconia, NH 03246
Phone: 603-527-9299
Email: [email protected]

© Copyright 2018 The Laconia Daily Sun, 1127 Union Ave Laconia, NH | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Powered by BLOX Content Management System from TownNews.com.

saltwater much easier then trout

My son and I once fought a fish for 5 hours, passing the rod back and forth as one or the other tired out. We finally got it, and then exhausted we motored our skiff the 7 miles the monster dragged us off to the beach back through a thunderstorm. To this day if he sees a black Ronz lure in the boat he tells me " You put that thing in the water, you're on your own."

fatty.jpg

Never caught a pickerel before, and I’d like to get one. Any tips?

I got this native brook trout earlier today - first I’ve ever been able to find! There were probably a dozen or more spread over 4-5 pools along the brook I was fishing. Got a lot of hits but most were a little too small to get the hook.

The best tip is fish for bass you’ll catch pickerel.

I finally caught a bass today. I’ve only been catching pickerel all spring, and not big ones either. Only 12-18”. Today I had one following my lure and it was at least 30”. It followed my lure to about 5 ‘ from me.

NOICE. I've had that happen quite often fishing out of my kayak. With the polarized sunglasses on you can see down fairly deep. I remember one large mouth in particular years back that followed my black worm up from the bottom, slowly wagging his butt and tracking my lure, and finally grabbed it within inches of the surface. It was awesome to watch. I think he was like 7lbs

Caught 3 more 12” bass yesterday, black and white Shad rap.

I’ve been catching a lot of fish so far this year but none have really been big enough to write home about. What do you guys do to step up the size of the fish you get? I’m happy to catch fewer fish if they’re a little bigger.

Same spot yesterday my friend got a bowfin, easily 24”. Didn’t have a measuring tape or scale with us, but it was a monster and put up a real fight. First bowfin ever.

Caught some rainbows Friday and landed a cow of a large mouth just yesterday.
Released the big fella.
Wish I had a scale.
Cooking up the trout today!
20180526_174723.jpg

Attachments

• 20180526_174654.jpg
    20180526_174654.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180525_110431.jpg
    20180525_110431.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 27
These fish pics are killing me, LOL. Went to the canal early am through a couple hours past the tide shift. Not only did I get skunked, it appeared that everyone there this am was skunked. Still enjoyed it. I did spot an impressive cougar- the kind that walks poodles, not the kind that eats them. ;)

Nice! What would you throw out as a guess, 9lb maybe?
...I'm thinking based on the length and girth this was 8+ easy... could be better than 9
This one jumped a couple times and swung my kayak making a good 15' run, then back under my rig. My local hole is known for producing over 9s in the past a number of years ago. My first time out bass fishing this year...I'll take any guesses.
20180526_174740_HDR.jpg

...I'm thinking based on the length and girth this was 8+ easy... could be better than 9
This one jumped a couple times and swung my kayak making a good 15' run, then back under my rig. My local hole is known for producing over 9s in the past a number of years ago. My first time out bass fishing this year...I'll take any guesses.
View attachment 235064

That thing is bigger than you. It must be 250lbs.

View attachment 235064
If you can put your closed fist in its mouth, it is in the 9lb. range. Holding it close also would give us a better idea. (JK, that is a beauty)

If you can put your closed fist in its mouth, it is in the 9lb. range. Holding it close also would give us a better idea. (JK, that is a beauty)
Ski post some solid stuff and is a great contributor, if he was to post those pics on a Bass forum with a "Guestimate" for a weight in the 8lb range they would burn his house down without using a scale. Knowing personally that we have some of those Bass dudes in this forum I figure I would "steer" him to stardom. :D

Back
Top Bottom