2017/18 Hunting Thread!!

Finally getting around to posting but I got my first bow kill last week and it was on public land too. I got to my stand a little late (15 minutes before shooting time) and as always I go in with a red light head lamp and set up an estrous scent wick on a branch. I climb up my ladder stand and before I can start pulling my bow up a doe with a buck about 5 feet behind her run right by the base of my ladder I climbed with head lamp still on, not 30 seconds prior. I start hauling my bow up as fast as I can, meanwhile the buck is still chasing this doe in circles just below, paying no attention to me. He was grunting like I've never heard before which was pretty cool and gave me a real idea of what I should try to imitate when I'm calling. Its now legal shooting time but still pretty dark and the doe circles around the back of me and I take a shot but the angle was pretty steep seeing she was 10 feet from the base of my tree and I hit her very low. The shot was a pass through but the arrow was pretty much vertical sticking out of the ground with not much blood on it (grazing shot right down her side maybe?)... 5 minutes later a 6 pointer is 20 yards to my left and I shoot low again, this time a clean miss. I take out my grunt tube and do my best impression of the dear I heard earlier hoping to pull the 6pt back since he only ran off about 100 yards before going back to walking like nothing ever happened but instead a 8 pointer pops out of nowhere again to my left and 20 yards out. I'm on my last arrow now and actually take my time remembering the impacts of my last two shots and end up drilling the thing right through the heart. He made it about 50 yards and dropped. Ended up having two ppl and a dog try to track down the doe but after about a quarter mile the already light blood trail dried up completely.
edit: sorry no clue how to rotate the pics correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 82
Crazy week in the stand this week. Mind you, I'm only in my 4th season now and I've not really seen or had the opportunity to take anything. That all changed this week. On Saturday, after returning from my daughters soccer game, I jumped in the stand around 1:30 pm and rattled once. Not 5 minutes later, on a rope, a young 4 pointer (now 3 as one side was broken) comes right into my area. My heart is racing as this is the first time for a buck, let alone a deer that I can actually track in and call, rattle if I need to. I had the crossbow, up, sighted and was tracking him looking for a shot. I had a narrow gap of 2 trees at 20 yards and I didn't feel comfortable threading the needle. In the end he came, he sniffed, and he turned around without ever giving me a shot. Had he taken 5 more steps to the right he was done. I tried to call him and rattle him to stay, but he had no part of it and left. Didn't see anything else. Feeling pretty good about this encounter, I knew I was going to go out today on my day off.

So this morning, I head out to the stand, and I decide that since my taking the long way in and dragging a line hasn't helped, I would take the short way in and change the line up a bit. As a hit the enter point - I hear some large movement in the leaves. I pause. I can't see anything at 5:55 in the morning, but on the off chance it is a deer, I'm not about to disturb it. I turn around and head down to the long way in, drop a line and make it into the stand just before 6:10. I get all set up and I'm just sitting there resting my eyelids - crossbow isn't even in my hands and I hear the leaves rustle. They rustle again. I can hear the approach but I can't see in the light yet. At 6:20 I can see the body of a deer about 40 yards to my left. Deja Vu. Just like the buck. If this deer doesn't cross a particular point, I won't have a shot. I get the bow ready, safety off, sight the deer in, turn on the lighted reticle, and just wait. It keeps moving right. My heart continues to race. It moves more right. I realize I would rather use a green reticle than a red and patiently wait for subtle times to make the movement. At this point I can see it's a doe, youngish, a yearling maybe. In 1 more step it will be 100% broadside at 10 yards. Do I wait one for one more step? I don't want a repeat of the buck retreating. At 6:30, 15 minutes before sunrise, I let the bolt fly (aiming at behind the shoulder/point of the elbow). I could see the lumenok flash green and then disappear. The doe jumped, did a 180 and took off, and I can hear the sound of crash not too too far off.

Not 10 yards from impact there is a blood trail starting and it only got bigger and bigger. 100 yards from the stand I found her. A yearling likely in good flesh with a huge gaping hole at impact and a massive rent just past the ribs on the left side with intestines bulging out. The bolt went clean through lung, diaphragm, and nicked the bowel slightly. The blood loss was tremendous (NAP Killzone Crossbow broadhead)! I still haven't found the bolt.

I call my hunting buddy (who was sleeping as he had to work today), and he came right over to help with my first drag out and field dressing just as the rains started. I can't believe I took my first deer and was out of the woods by 8 am. My wife and kids even congratulated me, only then to ask what are we going to do with the body. Given that I had planned this morning to pick up my Turkey from Out Post Farm, I dropped the doe off at Arena A and Sons Game Check/Butcher Shop in Hopkinton (that was a good life experience for my kids) and was home with the Turkey by 9:30 in the morning.

All in all...an amazing start to my Thanksgiving Weekend!

Glad to hear a few other "new hunter's" on here were going down the same path as me, some even longer than my 2 years to get even a sighting let alone a shot at a deer. Congrats to all of you and any other trying for their first or their 50th.
I picked up my packages from butcher this morning and was very surprised at how much venison I now have stuffed into my freezer. Good thing we have a second fridge!!:)

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Awesome shot placement Ace7644! Nicely done dogdoctor! Sadly I've only had doe come through my kill zone so far. I am going to hit it every day for the rest of the week. If that buck I've caught on my camera comes through during hurting hours, he's on borrowed time. :)

20171122_134232-1.jpg
Any tips for hunting in the rain. Both times this year ( including today) that I've hunted in the rain for pheasants, I've come up empty handed. I mean he didn't even flush one bird today.
I left work early yesterday, and took the dogs out after the rain lightened up. The cocker has recovered from her injury, and was back in the game. We had no trouble finding the birds in the wet. Nothing different, just a bit more mess in the back seat of my vehicle afterwards.

Here in this crappy pic, the cocker has her paws on the roster, while she proceeds to pluck the bird.

ETA, the Garmin GPS collar on her works great, and I plan on getting another for the pointer. Pricey, but contributes greatly to pece of mind.

Last edited:
Got one last hunt in this morning. Glad we were able to get one last bird today.

It was a good first year for my pup. Can't wait till next year.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 31
Any tips for hunting in the rain. Both times this year ( including today) that I've hunted in the rain for pheasants, I've come up empty handed. I mean he didn't even flush one bird today.
My experience in hunting pheasant in the rain is the birds don't like to fly in the rain. They will run even more. I don't think it hinders the dogs from finding them, but they probably take off running a little earlier knowing they don't want to get airborne.

My boy had a good morning. 3 squirrels in 45 minutes after sun up. Going to try again in the morning. Need to build up the freezer stock for stew when we ice fish!

My boy had a good morning. 3 squirrels in 45 minutes after sun up. Going to try again in the morning. Need to build up the freezer stock for stew when we ice fish!

I need to get you squirrel folks to come up to NH and clear out my land. I must have 2 dozen gray's just in the area I've been deer hunting.

Very little shooting in Westboro WMA today. They usually stock it heavy for TG morning. Maybe they are running out of birds...

Southwick WMA was similar. Lots of trucks by 630AM and very little shooting between then and 930 when I left.
I'm guessing it was the last stocking of the season and they put out whatever they had left. Which probably wasn't much.

My experience in hunting pheasant in the rain is the birds don't like to fly in the rain. They will run even more. I don't think it hinders the dogs from finding them, but they probably take off running a little earlier knowing they don't want to get airborne.

I agree, I wonder if the stocked pheasant don't have a established nest with cover to stay dry and them being wet hinders their ability to fly.

I have a question about Landowner permission for hunting on private property. If I ask a landowner for permission to hunt on his private property as well as traverse across his land to get to public land, does that also allow me the ability to shoot withing the 300' of an occupied dwelling or do I need to get that specific detail in writing on top of the permission to hunt? I'm thinking it matters as to cover yourself with the very specific language stating that you have that permission to discharge a bow or firearm within that distance so as not to have any disagreements about it.
Reason I'm asking is I finally was able to speak with landowner and he said he's ok with hunting on his land but I didn't ask about the 300' distance. When I bring the landowners form with me for him to sign I want to make it clear that their is no misunderstanding at all. So to err on the side of caution, Landowner permission is 1 thing but discharging within the 300' is another. Is there a good way to cover that topic besides stating the obvious that you (hunter) will be courteous, ethical and respectful etc when on their property.

Scout and I closed out the bird season with an afternoon hunt today. No birds but a beautiful day to be in the field.

Had a fun year with grouse (NH), pheasants and woodcock taken.

View attachment 213194 View attachment 213195

I see you are in Worcester County, is this a Mass WMA? If so, which one? I am always looking for WMAs with less woods and more fields

ETA, the Garmin GPS collar on her works great, and I plan on getting another for the pointer. Pricey, but contributes greatly to pece of mind.

I used Garmin GPS on my pups this year (2 Brittanys). One worked great, the other had to go back to Garmin which they replaced. They are awesome (when they work) and are a huge piece of mind. I had lost my older Brittany twice, once when she was a pup for about an hour and then last year (which was 3 years later) for about 20 minutes. The second time she probably was never more than 100 yds from me but with the hills, I could no longer hear her beeper. Now having it, it is amazing how far they range in just 30 seconds or a minute.

I have found the birds hold much tighter in rain. They don't like to fly when they are wet, at all. I too hunted Wednesday afternoon in the rain and the dogs got both my birds on the ground. In the rain, I bring the dogs through an area a couple times, from different angles and just try to slow down the pace. On Wednesday we were in fields mainly and the birds had essentially burrowed into the long grass which had become matted down through the season and the rain, so the scent cone was really small, if any really. The second bird stirred after we had gone through the area twice, I heard it and looped the dogs back around. He knew the jig was up and stood up, it looked like he came out of the ground.

I see you are in Worcester County, is this a Mass WMA? If so, which one? I am always looking for WMAs with less woods and more fields

Barre falls has tons of fields. Its a huge area they stock several areas in the place.

Hubbardston management area as well.

If you come out to north central ma, there are so many stocked areas its impossible to hunt them all, there are town covers that the local clubs stock as well. I hit a few I know well and take a day or few half days and usually limit out in the first week keeping to the two a day limit. This year I shot 5 in the first week in 2 half days and one Saturday and left one so I could hunt locally. I put that last bird up at Barre Falls yesterday in a swamp right off the dirt road. and missed it. LOL.

I hunt a private club because six birds limit a year doesnt even justify having a dog.

Then I do many more at Addieville where the season is way longer up til March. Its pay for play but its all field and no competition and you can hunt several varieties of birds.

Last edited:
Small game season is coming to it's last day before the shotgun season break. Been hitting the woods hard and been very successful. My son got three squirrels in 45 minutes yesterday morning. He wouldn't even give me a chance to take a shot! Woods have been very active the last few days. Heading out one more time today. Then double check the shotguns and front stuffers at the club tomorrow to get ready for Monday morning. I love this time of year.

Reason I'm asking is I finally was able to speak with landowner and he said he's ok with hunting on his land but I didn't ask about the 300' distance. When I bring the landowners form with me for him to sign I want to make it clear that their is no misunderstanding at all. So to err on the side of caution, Landowner permission is 1 thing but discharging within the 300' is another. Is there a good way to cover that topic besides stating the obvious that you (hunter) will be courteous, ethical and respectful etc when on their property.

I would; assuming we are talking about buildings in use and you are in Massachusetts. It is always good to avoid misunderstandings.

From the abstracts
  • Discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof. See page 26 for additional firearms regulations.
http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/hunting-prohibitions/

A couple useful links:

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/hunting-on-private-property-in-massachusetts

http://macouncil.tripod.com/id28.htm

NOT Sorry to say but the family and I left Ma. 3 years ago (to NH) and have NEVER looked back!!. Not knocking those still there but the change in atmosphere about firearms and such is such a relief.
So in NH law states 300' of occupied building. Sheds, barns and such are not in that realm like they are considered in Maine. I'm just looking for the correct way of covering myself which I'm leaning to mean a separate piece of paper stating that I can discharge an arrow or firearm within that 300 feet. Indeed trying to avoid any and all "misunderstandings".

Back
Top Bottom