• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2017/18 Hunting Thread!!

Had the afternoon off and got some time in the field with the pup. Should have had a second bird but it flushed a little too far after my pup chased it. Still a beautiful day. Off from work again tomorrow.

IMG_0139.jpg

Self employed.
When I check with the boss he says do whatever the hell you want........Hope to bag a couple more birds next week.
Heading to PA for the 1st time to deer hunt after TG....Looking forward to some rifle hunting for once!

That 8pt I have been watching and close to a couple times appears to have moved on while I was out of town. Went out tonight and the last picture was from 11/10.

Made me want to just call it a season but maybe I'll get my spirit back.

Been hunting so much I haven't had the chance to get online. Rooster and a Hen this morning. First pheasants in two years. Got a new Mossy 930 Waterfowl Pro-series and been putting it to good use this year: 3 drake mallards, 2 woodies, a teal and 3 Cans. 2 goose breasts curing in the fridge right now, gonna make pastrami. Pictures to follow.

Went out on Tuesday to check trail cams during the day. Standing in the middle of 3 paths, I make a grunt just for the heck of it, 20 yards away a deer pops up and takes off. Obviously it was bedded down and for me, I did everything right except be facing the right way when I made the call. Oh well!! At least I saw a deer which is something that hasn't happened this season when I was actually out hunting from tree stand.
When I brought the cards in and reviewed them, sure enough the big boy is still around but he is cunning, came in 1 way and didn't catch him leaving on any of the cams for his way out. Hunt is still on I guess.
It was a beautiful day out there yesterday that's for sure.

Been hunting so much I haven't had the chance to get online. Rooster and a Hen this morning. First pheasants in two years. Got a new Mossy 930 Waterfowl Pro-series and been putting it to good use this year: 3 drake mallards, 2 woodies, a teal and 3 Cans. 2 goose breasts curing in the fridge right now, gonna make pastrami. Pictures to follow.

Sounds like your having a good season! Congrats and enjoy.

I'm up to 2 roosters and a hen. Got so many squirrels red and grey I lost count.....frozen for mid Winter stew to take ice fishing. Bumped a cotton tail on the power lines last Friday afternoon......shot behind him with a clean miss. That was disheartening....would have been a nice prize to take home for dinner but at least I saw one. Been a good small game and upland bird season so far. Going to hit the woods hard and often Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend for small game and get ready for gun season for deer. It's been a great season so far.

That 8pt I have been watching and close to a couple times appears to have moved on while I was out of town. Went out tonight and the last picture was from 11/10.

Made me want to just call it a season but maybe I'll get my spirit back.

During the rut bucks will change their general routine and follow a new path. He's likely still in the area, you just need to figure out where he may be. He's out chasing does now so finding them will put you in his area again. Of course he could have gone nocturnal as well.

Heading out at first light tomorrow to chase some cottontail rabbits. Flushed one last weekend.......thinking where there's one there is more with rabbits!

Good luck to all you bow hunters.....hope you find a big one.

Opening day 8pt in NYS
cd294ae95ced2f8bc52ed7d6448bdf9b.jpg

Nice!!! I have been driving to Albany every other week for work. They are like cattle on the side of the pike in the open fields.

Put my bud in my stand I had been hunting all week in Maine, and 30 mins later he dropped this 8 pointer. 168lbs after field dressing. His first deer. 325 grain Hornady lever revolution ftx in 45-70. Dropped him hard. Like he was hit by a bus. He's been hunting for 5 seasons maybe and finally got his first. So pumped for him. I am really hungover this morning from the bottle of crown Royal we all drank last night. Sitting here on the edge of a field, trying to tag out my any deer permit.
e051ee134683aa7aefd67f4409c98351.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Put my bud in my stand I had been hunting all week in Maine, and 30 mins later he dropped this 8 pointer. 168lbs after field dressing. His first deer. 325 grain Hornady lever revolution ftx in 45-70. Dropped him hard. Like he was hit by a bus. He's been hunting for 5 seasons maybe and finally got his first. So pumped for him. I am really hungover this morning from the bottle of crown Royal we all drank last night. Sitting here on the edge of a field, trying to tag out my any deer permit.[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That is awesome! He will never forget that one!

Saturday morning I decided to sleep in. Didn't make it past 6:00 am due to wife off to work and the dogs all riled up because of that. So I get up and debate going out to hunt or do some fall clean-up. Around 6:30am I hear "Bang" in the area and then 10 minutes later a second "bang". I think the worst since the shots aren't to far away and I know that a few deer are traveling in the early am. So I decide to go out and see if maybe those shot drive the deer towards my tree stand. I'm up in stand a little after 7 and sit there till 8:55am because nothing is going on. I get down, walk back and check on a trail cam I put up to pull card. I hear what I think is more squirrels running through the leaves only to see a good size body moving through the thick trees and brush. Can't make out if its a buck or not but know that NH doe's are now off the hunt list. So I move gingerly to put myself in a better vantage point. I see horns so my blood starts pumping and the hunt is on. He breaks from treeline and steps out about 15 yds and stops. I'm about 40 yrds away from him, take aim and "Bang" , the smoke screens my view as I search quickly left then right of it to see which way he may run off. I notice he's on the ground doing a breakdance move right where I shot him. I'm ecstatic as this is my first deer ever. I gave him a little time to expire and then went in to see my buck. He turns out to be a 6 pointer, and I think he would have been an 8 pointer at some time as his antler was broken off near the base probably from a clash.
Tag station didn't have a scale but butcher thinks it was around 170 llbs or so field dressed.

Attachments

• First Buck (640x468).jpg
    First Buck (640x468).jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
My first deer. Hunting with my dad in Marlboro Vermont. It was awesome sharing my first deer with My dad. He was very emotional about it. I used a .308 handload of a 165 grain Sierra gameking over 43 grain of imr 4895. It was magic. What an exit wound. The blood trail was like the yellow brick road.

Attachments

• 20171118_112048.jpg
    20171118_112048.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 83
Jumped the big 8pt tonight, he was bedded in some beech trees with a doe. I could have got off a shot but I didn't want to risk wounding him.

At least he's still nearby, I'll go out again on Thanksgiving and give it another try.

Congrats on the deer guys. Since the forum upgrade I have been unable to connect on my phone. IT's great to hear the "first deer" stories.

Back
Top Bottom