• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2017/18 Hunting Thread!!

I just wanted to say - that we've been really enjoying the meat that I got from my first kill this year. I know it was a yearling doe, but people are right, that is some of the best meat around. So tender! My wife loves it and the kids do too. My daughter gets a bit weepy each time she thinks about seeing the deer in the back of the Sequoia - but we just keep telling her, she'd be really sad if she saw all the other animals she's eaten in the past nearly 10 years. My son, 7 going on 8, has expressed and interest in sitting in the stand with me. I think I'm going to coax him out a bit more this year. Looking forward to next fall!

I just wanted to say - that we've been really enjoying the meat that I got from my first kill this year. I know it was a yearling doe, but people are right, that is some of the best meat around. So tender! My wife loves it and the kids do too. My daughter gets a bit weepy each time she thinks about seeing the deer in the back of the Sequoia - but we just keep telling her, she'd be really sad if she saw all the other animals she's eaten in the past nearly 10 years. My son, 7 going on 8, has expressed and interest in sitting in the stand with me. I think I'm going to coax him out a bit more this year. Looking forward to next fall!
Congrats! It's a good feeling isn't it? When you get to the point where you have 140 to 200 pounds of venison in the drop freezer (from the family efforts) you'll be beside yourself when you realize you can eat meat 2-3 times a week till July and not buy beef at the store! All from your own hard work.

Ended up with my boy getting one. Tough hunting yesterday. Temp went from 8 degrees to 40 degrees in 4 hours and the guide warned us in the morning that it was gonna mess with the beagles noses. We got one that was a stray that the beagles were not trailing......but my ever lucky son got it!

Scored a coyote today...my 4th time out solely targeting them.
Shot was ~75 yards in heavy cover...it was a healthy female.
Looks like my SO will have a new "hand warmer" NEXT ice fishing season! ;)

Attachments

• MP-Coyote-022018-HBar-a.jpg
    MP-Coyote-022018-HBar-a.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 52
Went out this morning about 6, stayed out until about 1. I brought the .22 in case we ran into a rabbit. Buddy brought his 12ga and hunted crow. Easily had 30-40 crows come into where we set up some trash bag/coat hanger decoys. Buddy shot 1 using 7.5 shot and whatever the name is for the choke just below full. I used his shotgun to try and get 3-4 and missed all of them. He dressed the bird and kept the breast meat leaving the guts for coyote bait. The crow breast was the darkest poultry I had ever seen and it smelled downright funky. He was going to try and eat it but I politely declined.

We also met someone ELSE crow hunting. I was shocked. Also saw more ducks and geese than we could shake a stick at.

Scored a coyote today...my 4th time out solely targeting them.
Shot was ~75 yards in heavy cover...it was a healthy female.
Looks like my SO will have a new "hand warmer" NEXT ice fishing season! ;)

Awesome! I have been out twice with my rabbit squealer with no action.
Which do you think is better, early am or later pm?
Walking my dogs this am and there were fresh tracks everywhere...

Awesome! I have been out twice with my rabbit squealer with no action.
Which do you think is better, early am or later pm?
Walking my dogs this am and there were fresh tracks everywhere...

Honestly...this was my first season targeting coyotes...and I've ONLY gone out in the late afternoon to sunset....so my advice might not be the best! :cool: ....I'll be going out again this afternoon. :)

Anybody been out to hunt turkey yet this year??? Surprised no one has shared yet.

Going out for a bit Friday and maybe Saturday morning.

Guaranteed to be amateur hour given my track record!

Went out Saturday morning looking for turkey with a friend. Got into our spot about 4:30-4:45. Started calling about 5 and by 530 we had a turkey responding every 2 minutes. That lasted about 15 mins and then we never heard anything else.

Went out Saturday morning looking for turkey with a friend. Got into our spot about 4:30-4:45. Started calling about 5 and by 530 we had a turkey responding every 2 minutes. That lasted about 15 mins and then we never heard anything else.
Ah the elusive gost gobbler. Been there done that. Still better than being at work!

10AM when they lose those hens is the time to get em'

.....and another one joins the ranks. :)

Back
Top Bottom