2016 Hunting Thread

I actualy was able was able to record the buck, him and I went back and forth for ten minutes. Me with my grunt tube and him responding by snorting. It was pretty cool.

Passing on does or young deer also allows you to eavesdrop on how they interact, how they communicate , the volume and duration of grunts and bleats , etc. you also will see other bucks approach the does if they hang around, a lot to be learned just watching

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

......gun shots don't leave good blood trails in my experience (shotgun slugs can't speak to rifle). Not like archery. Slugs are designed to enter but not exit as you want all that energy all deposited in the animal. Hence expansion. I've put a slug into a couple deer and had zero blood as well.

I've got to agree...the deer I shot this year was hit in the neck (slug traveled down to both lungs & heart) and dropped straight down. There was NO blood! The entry wound was just red....
The slug (parts) did not penetrate the other side of the buck.

Live and learn for me, I guess. It's my second year hunting so it's all a learning experience for me at this point - always will be.

I'm as positive as I can be that I missed her clean - no puff of hair, didn't head to water, didn't throw a hump when she jumped and the tracks were straight, clear and even.

I tracked her until she left the property I had access to ran out and a past there, frankly. I feel like I did everything I could to be sure.

I do appreciate all the advice and support I get on this form. I see what goes on other places (Facebook especially) with newbies that ask "dumb" questions or make mistakes and get brow beaten, excoriated and generally treated like shitheels. I'm delighted it doesn't happen on this par for the forum.

I've got one more chance to hunt this year on Saturday. I need to decide if I hunt the morning until 11 or the evening from 2:00 to sundown. I can't do both due to family obligations. It's looking COLD in the morning and I understand (I think) that is better for deer movement. Any suggestions which to hunt?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My first yote, missed him earlier in the day at 60yards, but tracked him down 90 minutes later and buried a slug in him at 110 yards.
eab7e266a90caef20de7f038976cfefe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. While I dislike the snow for deadening the sound in the area, it sure is nice for going after animals.

Nice coyote Anchor! I got one last year...tanned the hide for the wife. She loves it...but I can't figure out what to do with it other than to drape it over the back of the couch like a sleeping dog! [smile]

Nice coyote Anchor! I got one last year...tanned the hide for the wife. She loves it...but I can't figure out what to do with it other than to drape it over the back of the couch like a sleeping dog! [smile]

There're places that will manufacture garments from your fur(s). I've not done it, but it's an option I'd look at.

Live and learn for me, I guess. It's my second year hunting so it's all a learning experience for me at this point - always will be.

I'm as positive as I can be that I missed her clean - no puff of hair, didn't head to water, didn't throw a hump when she jumped and the tracks were straight, clear and even.

I tracked her until she left the property I had access to ran out and a past there, frankly. I feel like I did everything I could to be sure.

I do appreciate all the advice and support I get on this form. I see what goes on other places (Facebook especially) with newbies that ask "dumb" questions or make mistakes and get brow beaten, excoriated and generally treated like shitheels. I'm delighted it doesn't happen on this par for the forum.

I've got one more chance to hunt this year on Saturday. I need to decide if I hunt the morning until 11 or the evening from 2:00 to sundown. I can't do both due to family obligations. It's looking COLD in the morning and I understand (I think) that is better for deer movement. Any suggestions which to hunt?

Get a front stuffer and u get till dec 31!!!! Dicks has the tc impact for $179. Great simple muzzle loader. With the stock iron sights i get 3 rounds touching at 50 yards.

Last edited:
Get a front stuffer and u get till dec 31!!!! Dicks has the tc impact for $179. Great simple muzzle loader. With the stock iron sights i get 3 rounds touching at 50 yards.
I was actually thinking about one for next year because I'm hesitant to take a gun I've been vet shot out into the woods. I've a buddy who's a distributor who can get me one at cost, but I dunno if he's going to be able to better than that price... Hmm.

I was actually thinking about one for next year because I'm hesitant to take a gun I've been vet shot out into the woods. I've a buddy who's a distributor who can get me one at cost, but I dunno if he's going to be able to better than that price... Hmm.

You can zero a muzzle loader in an hour at the range. They are very user friendly these days. And honestly can be alot of fun at the range in the off season too......good "dollar to fun ratio"!

Mornings can be tough late season. I would focus on the evening. Sunrise usually happens after they are bedded since it comes later in the morning now with these shorter days.
Both can be productive but I have a tough go of it in the AM late season. I've actually stopped AM hunts after the rut because I've seen so little activity. Stayaybe that first week in Dec if conditions are right. The 2nd rut can generate some activity.

Last edited:
I'm getting over a cold but now I'm coughing. [sad2] How can you hunt with a cough? Wanted to get out tomorrow.
I was actually out in the wood with my buddy hunting and sneezed so loud I was embarrassed! Later in the day jokingly I asked if he heard my snort weeze calling. He didn't laugh [emoji29]

I'm getting over a cold but now I'm coughing. [sad2] How can you hunt with a cough? Wanted to get out tomorrow.

If you have a thick poofy jacket you can cough into the sleeve and that quiets it a bit. If it's going to be a single cough you can also cough into your grunt tube. But if your sick the cold woods is probably the last place you should be.

At pine grove lodge in Maine for a veteran and child memorial hunt. A free day of guided snow shoe hare hunting for vets and their children awaits us tomorrow. Bob is a fantastic guy. So appreciative if his generosity. My son and I hunted with Bob last February and had the time of our lives. Can't wait for some beagle music in the morning.

At pine grove lodge in Maine for a veteran and child memorial hunt. A free day of guided snow shoe hare hunting for vets and their children awaits us tomorrow. Bob is a fantastic guy. So appreciative if his generosity. My son and I hunted with Bob last February and had the time of our lives. Can't wait for some beagle music in the morning.
Bob and Andrea Howe put on an amazing event. 8 veterans got to take a child hunting for snowshoe hare at the doc Daugherty memorial veteran hunt. My son and I hit for one. 6 other folks got rabbits as well and a great time was had by all. Pine Grove Lodge and the Howe family are top notch.

Had a guy walk 20 yards under me while on stand and looked directly in my direction twice and never noticed me. I guess 200 lb pumpkin people must grow naturally up in trees in MA. The kicker was he was "stalking" while blowing a grunt call. Didn't see much this season but just watching this guy made me laugh enough to make up for it. On to muzzle loader now, good luck to all!

Saw nothing fri pm and this afternoon. Wasn't coughing either[smile]. Darn ground is so noisy you can't go anywhere. Was plenty cumfy today in the mid twenties so that's a positive.

Frustrating year for me. A bunch of does and a nice 8 point buck on my trail cam. Rubbed up trees on a nice active run right near my stand, but they are strictly nocturnal. No movement at all during the day. Maybe the colder weather will change their habits during the smoke pole season.

Tag filled.
first deer - thanks for all support / advice. Passed on 3 from stand in AM out of range in AM and just after lunch went for walk and jumped 3 doe.
25 yards. She ran 30 feet jumped over a wall and died.

Please forgive my ineptitude htf do you attach a foto?

V.

Back
Top Bottom