• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Having read the posts above I'd like to suggest a few things:
01 - If you hunt, the greatest thing you can do as a hunter is to mentor another hunter - family or not. My father taught me as his father taught him, and so on. I'm not a father but I can be a Dad and mentor those who are not fortunate enough to have learned how to hunt form their Dad's. I'm working with 2 gents and 1 lady right now ages 16-38...

02 - Part of that responsibility is to teach shooting skills - Pick a tool, shotgun, bow, blackpowder, bb gun, etc. The tool is a teaching item but it translates across - be thoughtful and ethical and you will be a good hunter. Guess what, you fail my shooting course, you're just walking along behind me with a camera at best. You pass my course and I'll walk behind you as a mentor - proudly, with a camera.

03 - If you are so new and also older than 16 - try to find a mentor. The reason us old buzzards have all the gear and spots and know-how is because we earned it. Share it with some new guys - I'm not saying give your favorite spots away but understand that taking a "new guy" is not always bad

04 - New Guys - When an Old Guy shows you "the spot" - it's not yours! It's Still His! He brought you there to teach you HOW to do, not where. Don't pi55 the mentor off.

05 - new guys - just saying - be a guest at all times until the mentor actually says - out loud - in front of witnesses that know what it means when he says: "You're blessed, a made man, you have my permission to hunt here without me."
And in my experience, just relax and hunt with your mentor/hosts when you can. They mean the best for you and hunting - if you do it right, your "hunting buddies" will be your best friends and surpass your "daily friends" in a matter of years.

One of my best friends I met randomly at the gun club - I traded a hunt for a hunt - ducks vs pheasant - They are my "family without blood relation" now - best trade I ever made.

I hope this is helpful moving forward - I'm sorry to hear bout bad shot placement - I've found a 6 pt that was "facing the wrong way" when hit - kill shot to the hind leg - may have been 100 lbs +/- dressed.

Old Guys: Think twice when a new guy asks for help...

Good season this year... took a six point and 9 point bucks during archery and shotgun season... glad I was done before this cold!

JR%20Buck_2.jpg

Old Guys: Think twice when a new guy asks for help...

Very well said Sprocket.

I'm 45 and just started hunting this season after a year of researching and getting to a comfortable level with my compound bow. I've watched so many YouTube videos on how to field dress a deer I have dreamed about it several times. I have found several places to hunt but I can only learn so much on my own. I'm the only hunter among my friends and family but am finding other hunters love to talk about their experiences and willing to give advice. I'm planning to go scout a few places right after this season with a fellow hunter but having a mentor on the field would be priceless. I'm committed to put as much time as necessary to become a proficient hunter and hopefully be able to mentor someone in the future.

I plan on hitting the woods tomorrow am for a morning hunt. Plan on walking until I cut a track and following it to the deer. No smoke pole so will be trying to connect on number 2 with the bow. With the snow starting so close to shooting hours any tracks won't be more than a few hours old....

Waking up to a good amount of snowfall here on the Cape. Can't decide if I want to stick to my plan of laid back duck hunting sitting on the edge of a tidal river, or if I should grab the smoke stick and take a hike. Chances of getting a shot at some game are much higher duck hunting right now. Damn 1st world problem decisions.

I plan on hitting the woods tomorrow am for a morning hunt. Plan on walking until I cut a track and following it to the deer. No smoke pole so will be trying to connect on number 2 with the bow. With the snow starting so close to shooting hours any tracks won't be more than a few hours old....

On my way out the door with the same plan. Good luck!

I was in the stand before dark...left at noon. Saw nothing but snow falling! It really would have been the perfect scene for a deer to show up! ;^)

Oh well...I'm home...walk & driveway shoveled.

Good luck guys!

I was in the stand before dark...left at noon. Saw nothing but snow falling! It really would have been the perfect scene for a deer to show up! ;^)

Oh well...I'm home...walk & driveway shoveled.

Good luck guys!

I did the opposite. Waited for the snow to stop. Wasted too much time clearing the drive. Then headed out to my tactical ambush spot, and found I was too late - they'd already passed through. Deer tracks and moose tracks, all over the place. On my way out, I came upon some coyote tracks which stopped dead. Looks like he backpedaled in his own tracks as I was making my way towards him on a cart road.

Having read the posts above I'd like to suggest a few things:
01 - If you hunt, the greatest thing you can do as a hunter is to mentor another hunter - family or not. ............

There used to be a gentleman on here named Curfer. He doesn't frequent these forums anymore. But he was a stand up guy who used to take newbs out pheasant hunting on WMAs. Also took a few guys out deer hunting. Unfortunately after a few bad experiences (people being less than safe, respectful, etc.) he stopped. There was one incident in particular that was the straw that broke the camels back - so to say. So he stopped because he felt he was endangering himself and others. He asked I not discuss what happened as the individuals involved still frequent this forum. He didn't want to publicly call them out. But he stopped mentoring new hunters. Shortly after - he stopped frequenting this forum altogether. Washed his hands of the place..

Once or twice I've though of volunteering some time to teach others who are new. But his specific experience has made me think it's just not worth the risk. There's little to gain and much to be lost. And therein is the problem with becoming a "mentor".... you never know the type of person you're going to get..... and the wrong type of person can get you hurt or worse....

Last edited:
There used to be a gentleman on here named Curfer. He doesn't frequent these forums anymore. But he was a stand up guy who used to take newbs out pheasant hunting on WMAs. Also took a few guys out deer hunting. Unfortunately after a few bad experiences (people being less than safe, respectful, etc.) he stopped. There was one incident in particular that was the straw that broke the camels back - so to say. So he stopped because he felt he was endangering himself and others. He asked I not discuss what happened as the individuals involved still frequent this forum. He didn't want to publicly call them out. But he stopped mentoring new hunters. Shortly after - he stopped frequenting this forum altogether. Washed his hands of the place..

Once or twice I've though of volunteering some time to teach others who are new. But his specific experience has made me think it's just not worth the risk. There's little to gain and much to be lost. And therein is the problem with becoming a "mentor".... you never know the type of person you're going to get..... and the wrong type of person can get you hurt or worse....

This can be a problem. All good points. Seen a "younger" invite to our deer hunting group many years ago (friend of a friend) show up for his first time out with 40 each 12 gauge slugs in his vest. All 3 inch magnums if course. And a cantilever rifled barrel with NO OPTIC on it. We had our chuckles and busted his balls of course. I offered to lend him my extra 20 gauge pump with iron sights that had actually been sighted in at 50 yards (I always bring a spare bread and butter shotgun in case someone has a failure that can't be repaired) and he did take the loan. I handed him one box of 5 each slugs to take and he said "are you sure that's enough?". Yes young Padawan.......5 shells is more than enough. Anyway...There was some mentoring going on when this kid arrived but......Sometimes guys like this can get you in trouble. My thoughts on mentoring..... Make sure you know their personality and have some references..... Last thing you want to do is end up taking an overgrown mall ninja out hunting with you lol

Last edited:

I wouldn't let one person's bad experience stop me from helping out new guys. If the Marines did that they wouldn't have any drill instructors. There are idiots everywhere. Identify them and move on.

Anyone coyote hunting? They've been howling like crazy behind my house.
I may swing by Dick's a grab an e-call to supplement the rabbit squealer I have.

No coyote. I'm still chasing whitetail but I've come down with a nasty cold and am staying out of the cold for the time being. Hope I'm back to 100% before the close..

The deer are hoping you have a slow recovery!

Hope you feel better. My deer calendar says it should be good hunting next week.

Back
Top Bottom