2016 Hunting Thread

Thanks guys for the rut update.

Saw the doc today and there was in increase in depth and width with my issue but by a very small amount. He just strongly suggested no more full day sits since the I need to have no pressure on the area for it to heal.

I may try a few hours tomorrow depending on how I feel though since I would actually like to hunt the rut for once.

The good news is my fractured tibia and fibula show some healing. On that issue though I am looking at the better part of a year for the bones to heal since I turned them into a jigsaw puzzle.

Quiet AM for me. Came home for lunch.. Looking at going out again in PM. Wind is doing funny things though... Blowing out of NE when there's a breeze but then there's a gentle push form the W when no breeze. So it's like the ocean shore with waves and undertow. If it doesn't get somewhat consistent I'll call it off. Don't want my scent sloshing around putting pressure on my spots with low percentage sits.

Was not able to make it out today which is a bummer.

It almost sounds like the rut may run into the start of pumpkin season which stinks since I cannot get out that first day. And from what I have seen, everyone goes nocturnal after that first day.

I had something coming in at dusk but I never saw it, took the bow out this morning and tonight. I'll be back out tomorrow night, I had 5 does on camera last weekend at 1 time, I wouldn't mind tagging one of them.

Whacked a real nice maple last night! Too many points to count. Figured I'd go for the tree and pass on the deer [sad2]

Day three down here in NC. Seen nothing during shooting hours. In a box blind until noon, got a hunt tonight and one tomorrow and I'm done down here. Feeling the pressure to get it done.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just don't let it effect your confidence.
For sure. Just feeling the pressure.

If I see a deer, I've no doubt it'll go down. Hunting with my buddy's Marlin 336 in 35REM. They're just not giving me shots to take.

Hunting a farm tonight and tomorrow am, so there's still hope, just fighting the frustration now.

I've got 6 days blocked off to hunt in MA after Thanksgiving, so I've still got a chance

I was able to make it out for awhile today and did not see anything. Also, had nothing on any of my cameras.

I got out evening and likewise did not see anything. I think the high winds has them bed down. I'm hoping that the winds break because it should mean some better activity right when the weather breaks. I was rocking and rolling in the tree today.

Only time for me to hunt is tomorrow and was thinking to pass as the forecast of 15 mph winds didn't sound so enticing. But this article changed my mind.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news/2015/winds-surprising-effects-on-deer-movement

Anyone find more movement during 10-15mph winds?

Yes. Provided it's not gusting faster than that. 10 to 15 is good to go. I like it actually. Light and variable winds tend to change direction whereas the slightly stronger winds are more consistent. Also the noise covers your entrance to your area. I like hunting in 10 to 15 mph winds.

Back from NC. Got skunked.

But the MOMENT I put my shotgun away, one of the guys I was hunting with shot a wide 8pt in the back 20 acres of the property we were hunting.

It was the most perfect deer I've ever seen. Pics when he shares them with me.

Back from NC. Got skunked.

But the MOMENT I put my shotgun away, one of the guys I was hunting with shot a wide 8pt in the back 20 acres of the property we were hunting.

It was the most perfect deer I've ever seen. Pics when he shares them with me.

Well that stinks. Do you go down every year?

I need to to start doing some traveling next year if I am all healed up.

- - - Updated - - -

I got out evening and likewise did not see anything. I think the high winds has them bed down. I'm hoping that the winds break because it should mean some better activity right when the weather breaks. I was rocking and rolling in the tree today.

You are a braver man than I hanging in a tree with those winds [smile]

- - - Updated - - -

This is the second year I've done it. Last year we tagged a nice six point about 100 yards from where this deer went down.

Sadly, they're moving house and we're losing access to the property. On the plus side, we have written permission on a 850 acre farm nearby (my buddy and the farms owner are both Marines otherwise we wouldn't have got it!).

I love hunting NC because of the long gun season, the availability of land and the relatively unpressured deer. They're unusually tasty given the preponderance of wild onions they snack on almost year round. I would recommend it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've gone out a couple times this year in 10-15mph winds, I climb a 10" red pine. I think the worst wind I was out in the tree stand was moving about 18" side to side. After I had been there a bit I thought to myself "self, even if you see a deer, how the hell are you going to hit it?".

Yet I still go out...

I saw the biggest deer I have ever personally seen while afield today. Yuuuuuge 10 point spread. Huge neck, broad shoulders... Animal must have been well north of 200 lbs. I was sneaking into an area I thought was close to bedding for a fresh sit. I was still on the ground - about 10 yards from the tree I though looked good when I heard some heavy disturbances in the tangle to the north. I thought I had kicked a deer out of it's bed so I sat quietly for a few. Then I heard it making its way towards me. So I quickly nocked an arrow and got on my release just as he came into sight. He ended up walking by at about 20 yards... But it was just too thick on the ground to get a shot. Had I gotten there 30 minutes earlier - oh man... what could have been. He was cruising for a hot doe.. Snot and drool dripping from him as he walked... At one point he hopped over a log but must have dragged his foot or something because he scared himself.. did a couple of hops, then looked back like WTF just happened. All I could think of is when someone trips and then looks around to see who saw.... thought to myself... yea - someone saw buddy.... You're one lucky fella today.... Grunt tube was in my pack on my back. All I could do was watch as he walked away....

I'll make another run at him tomorrow, about 200 yards off of where I was today. I'll make sure to get in an hour earlier too.

Last edited:
Went out this morning and froze my ass off, I could only make it about 1 hour 45 mins in the stand before I had to head back. Nothing but squirrels and crows...

Thinking tomorrow I may sleep in, getting frustrated this season.

Went out this morning and froze my ass off, I could only make it about 1 hour 45 mins in the stand before I had to head back. Nothing but squirrels and crows...

Thinking tomorrow I may sleep in, getting frustrated this season.

I'm right there with you. It's one thing to burn hours in the stand not seeing any deer, it's another thing burning those house while the wind and cold are punching you in the face too.

I've gone out a couple times this year in 10-15mph winds, I climb a 10" red pine. I think the worst wind I was out in the tree stand was moving about 18" side to side. After I had been there a bit I thought to myself "self, even if you see a deer, how the hell are you going to hit it?".

Yet I still go out...

Oh, boy do I hear that! I was up an a 10" oak tree last year during a windy day...almost to the point of getting "sea sick"! [sad2]

Hope you guys connect, especially Prebanman and that monster. Think i'll site in the muzzleloader this weekend. I bought foot warmers so I'm ready for next week.

NY last weekend.
[video]https://youtu.be/Y3s3H80YZDA[/video]
Fortunately her 4-point boyfriend came by an hour later.
Crazy weather; 72 degrees on Saturday and whiteout snow and high winds on Sunday.

Hope you guys connect, especially Prebanman and that monster. Think i'll site in the muzzleloader this weekend. I bought foot warmers so I'm ready for next week.

I've been running the little heat packs in my boots and mittens the past couple times I've gone out. They have made tolerating the cold much easier until it finally tears through my core and I have to head back. I haven't had cold hands/feet since I started using them which has definitely allowed me to stay out longer.

I first thought "those stupid things don't work and they are for old people and sissies", well, consider me an old sissy then I guess.

I've been running the little heat packs in my boots and mittens the past couple times I've gone out. They have made tolerating the cold much easier until it finally tears through my core and I have to head back. I haven't had cold hands/feet since I started using them which has definitely allowed me to stay out longer.

I first thought "those stupid things don't work and they are for old people and sissies", well, consider me an old sissy then I guess.

My thoughts as well until I used it yesterday. The heat it produced on my feet kept me out almost all day. Otherwise it would have been a shivering experience for sure.

Someone else (here as a matter of fact) told me a cool stay warm hack. Get the icy hot type patches that are intended for your back and put them over your kidneys. They last about 5 hours. If you break form the stand before the 5 hours mark, put them in a zip log and squeeze all the air out. They'll pause/keep until you're ready to finish them off.. If you're doing morning or evening only hunts in the late season you can use them multiple times this way.

Also IceBreaker and FirstLite are having a black friday sale on their site. Good time to pick up some Merino Wool clothing. I started wearing it a couple of years ago. Begrudgingly since it's soooo expensive. But man - you would be surprised at how light a layer can keep you warm. The stuff is amazing. Especially as part of a layering system. It took me a couple yeas to build up the hunting wardrobe, waiting for sales and such. But now I'm basically 100% merino when afield and I'll never go back to synthetics. My only complaint is that in grabby brush it does get caught up. It doesn't shed thorns like nylon can. But it's also dead quiet which is another attribute I value very highly.

If you're looking to buy yourself something this black Friday... I would entertain it... I'll be grabbing an item or two.. Minus33 which is sold on amazon is a good brand the thermal underwear too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom