2007 USPSA Northeast Section Match

When I'm refering to wearing out a barrel, I'm saying that my groups start openning up and velocities start going down. For me; if I can't be sure that the pistol is cabable of consistently grouping in the 'upper A' zone of an IPSC target at 25 yds. or consistently knocking down an 8" plates at 50 yds (providing of course that I'm doing my job), then I'll put in a new barrel. I also have to put in enough powder that I start to get concerned about pressure. For me it's cheap insurance. Bob Brazos talks a bit about heating up a pistol barrel and the accumulated effects on accuracy. It's not so much matches, but practice. Bill drills and such really heat things up. A new barrel also allows the 'smith to compensate for looser slide, frame, and bushing fit that wear induces. They get rid of the 'slop' when fitting the barrel up tight at lockup. When Dan Hurley got his new Brazos limited pistol he told me it instilled confidence in him knowing that the pistol was capable a great accuracy. For me, that sums it up.

Last edited:
When I'm refering to wearing out a barrel, I'm saying that my groups start openning up and velocities start going down. For me; if I can't be sure that the pistol is cabable of consistently grouping in the 'upper A' zone of an IPSC target at 25 yds. or consistently knocking down an 8" plates at 50 yds (providing of course that I'm doing my job), then I'll put in a new barrel. I also have to put in enough powder that I start to get concerned about pressure. For me it's cheap insurance. Bob Brazos talks a bit about heating up a pistol barrel and the accumulated effects on accuracy. It's not so much matches, but practice. Bill drills and such really heat things up. A new barrel also allows the 'smith to compensate for looser slide, frame, and bushing fit that wear induces. They get rid of the 'slop' when fitting the barrel up tight at lockup. When Dan Hurley got his new Brazos limited pistol he told me it instilled confidence in him knowing that the pistol was capable a great accuracy. For me, that sums it up.

I reiterate my statement on barrels seeming to last forever. I haven't experienced this loss of accuracy you speak of. The 40,000 barrels in .40 shoot like new, as does the 125,000 round barrel in my Devel Gammon. I have obseved premature wear in Super barrels driving bullets at 1200 fps and more.

PS My guns don't seem to loosen up much either.

The interim scores are up. They really don't tell much. I imagine the weather wasn't great today. However, the scores show stage 2 as worth 4 stage points total. Wouldn't it be worth 150 points, since it is fixed time?

The interim scores are up. They really don't tell much. I imagine the weather wasn't great today. However, the scores show stage 2 as worth 4 stage points total. Wouldn't it be worth 150 points, since it is fixed time?

Yes, the stage is worth 150 match points. Something is not right with the way it was input to the scoring program by what I see in the scores. I'll have Rob and Tom look into that today.

The only "trouble" anyone has had with stage two "suburban drive-by" is in getting all their hits. [smile]
The stage itself has run smoothly and as fast as any other stage. I'll be the CRO there for the rest of the weekend and will be doing my best to keep shooters flowing. Stop by and say HI! [grin]
Well, I'm off to Haaaavhad.

Michael.

Yes, the stage is worth 150 match points. Something is not right with the way it was input to the scoring program by what I see in the scores. I'll have Rob and Tom look into that today.
I'll be looking into this one tonite after I get back from ROing. The Palm is correctly recording the hits. The results on the web are being displayed incorrectly.

"Competitor summary" seems to show a reasonable number of match points for this stage, so my guess is that this is an error in the web upload for a Fixed Time stage.

Since Gary Barna has the match database I do not know if the problem is in the transfer to EzWinScore, or in EzWinScore's generation of results for the match page.

Either way, it will be fixed - hopefully tonight so we can have valid scores up immediately after the match.

Last edited:
I've fixed the problem with the stage points on stage #2 and provided Gary Barna (stats) with the necessary software update.

To answer Hal, the Drive-by Stage went very well all day and it was not the cause of any delay. (We had one slow squad and I still can't figure out why, but no slow stages.) The entire match was complete by 3:15 with a couple of squads complete before 3:00. That's 10 stages and 240 rounds. Keep your fingers crossed that the squads work equally well tomorrow.

Let me say that my concern wasnt that the drive by stage would slow down the squads. After Rob's post I, was hoping that would run well so it would not be eliminated. I loved the whole idea of it!

Looks like a big high five goes out to Matt Joe. Nice shooting and it was great shooting with you guys again! As for me, I shot the worst match of my life! I know there are no excuses but I knew something wasnt right all day. I just finished cleaning my blaster, My front sight was loose and moving in the dove tail back and forth a good 16th of an inch. No wonder I couldnt hit anything.............It got so bad I almost just quit during the match and drove home. I was so confused....Well, I'll take it to work in the morning and stake that bastard in place!

GTOshooter.....Your M card should be in the mail anytime now!

Thanks Hal, I'm working on it.

Loose front sight! That makes sense. Your hits just weren't making sense. Fire your gunsmith, get it fixed, and you and Heather come out and shoot.

Our squad was awesome, every one that put on the match desires a huge thanks, it just sucks Paul wasn't there with us.

Big ups to Matt Lombard with 4th Limited. I said it, you'll be on Scott's heels soon. Chris Fila too, nice job.

Oh yeah, Matt Joe and the usual suspects in open did ok too.

Last edited:
This was on of the best, most organized matches I shot this year. Dan and everyone from the various clubs in our section who put the stages together and worked the match really deserve a huge ammount of credit. Everything seemed to run so smoothly both days.

Challenging stuff too- That was the first time I have ever shot out of a moving trailor, and through a port that moved with your seat. I felt like I was shooting the guns in the Milennium Falcon!

Last edited:
Ariel- Nice job rounding up the top 3 in SSTK! Thanks for working two days on top of shooting the match. You must be tired today.

Ariel- Nice job rounding up the top 3 in SSTK! Thanks for working two days on top of shooting the match. You must be tired today.
Thanks! Working the match was a great opportunity to attach names to faces. I didn't get really tired until after everyone had left and I went to pick up brass. [smile]

and through a port that moved with your seat. I felt like I was shooting the guns in the Milennium Falcon!

As the CRO for that stage I want to say thank you to the warm welcome that we of the Hampden, Maine crew recieved from you all. It was nice to shoot with as well as get to know some of our fellow NE shooters.

We received plenty of requests to have quad 50's attached to the chair next year... however, I thought the cost of ammo my prove to be prohibitive. [smile]

Shazzam!
tlrecl1.jpg

7.jpg

We will probably have to tape up new targets for each shooter and if the sticks get hit they will probably be a total loss.

Last edited:
I heard PMD has already modified his lazy-boy so he can shoot the rest of the season in a turret chair, He is now looking for volunteers to push him thru the stages

As the CRO for that stage I want to say thank you to the warm welcome that we of the Hampden, Maine crew recieved from you all. It was nice to shoot with as well as get to know some of our fellow NE shooters.

We received plenty of requests to have quad 50's attached to the chair next year... however, I thought the cost of ammo my prove to be prohibitive. [smile]

Now, keep us informed about matches in ME. It may make an interesting trip from Cape Cod. Nice to meet you.

Gary

So which dude were you? The skinny one with the beard or the other dude with the red shirt on sunday?

So which dude were you? The skinny one with the beard or the other dude with the red shirt on sunday?

The Mainiacs all wore facial hair as required by Maine state law (including women). My best description might be as follows:

Jay Baack (Hampden club) - Biggest and heaviest of the three.
Nate Wade (Augusta club) - Middle bear
Mike Morton (wherever they let him shoot) - Tallest and thinnest.

Check out their schedule at www.maine3gun.org. I'm looking forward to shooting up thayah.

Back
Top Bottom