• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2007 USPSA Northeast Section Match

Practice?
Shoot skeet instead, you can make money there.
Knowing what a stage will present you is worthless if you don't have your fundamentals down.
Only thing that seeing the stages told me was- I need lots of ammo, and i better not make dinner reservations that night.

Anyway you cut it, those are going to be some long days. There are a lot of big stages.

Harvard is famous for this. You get a National level match held locally, I love it. You have to be ready for it, though. The last Harvard Sectional match I shot was so long that half of my squad was ready to quit halfway through the match. 240 plus rounds in one day is a real marathon, and a lot of fun. These folks deserve a lot of credit as they work a lot harder than the shooters.

What can I expect on the day of the match???

Since I've never been to a "big" match (or any match at Harvard) I was hoping others could tell me what to expect. How early should I arrive at the match? What happens once I get there? Should I bring my own food and drinks or will there be some there? Will there be vendors there selling things? I'm looking for some kind of idea as to how the day will unfold.

Thanks.
-Cuz.

We're going to have the shooters meeting at 9:00 and try to start busting caps by 9:30. You should arrive a bit early so that you can do your registration duties and get your gear together. Most important, just relax and have fun.

Now, I understand that y'all are concerned about the size of the stages and the length of the match. I won't make any promises, but you need to appreciate one significant statistic, 9 squads of 7 shooters. That works out to fewer shooters in one day than during a monthly match at Harvard. Then you also figure that there will be dedicated ROs at each stage. Keep your fingers crossed, and we should be running pretty smoothly.

Don't be scared by the number of stages. It takes almost as long to run 65 shooters
through one stage as it does to run them through 10 stages. Each shooter adds 5 minutes to the length of a match, while adding an entire stage only costs about 10 minutes (the time to transfer to the pit and do the walkthrough). Like I said, no promises, but I think that we'll do OK.

Now, if you're worrying about the personal demands of 10 stages, well, that's the beauty of bigger matches. You gotta keep your act together all day if you wanna run with big dogs. Or, ... you can just focus on having a great day and let the big dogs run off into the distance.

Harvard produces quality monthly matches and Harvard has ALWAYS produced quality major matches. I look forward to shooting a major match at Harvard again. It's been a long time.

However some things never change over time. That is "squad member participation", to help move the match along, every member of every squad should be helping in one form or another. Whether its taping targets, resetting steel, painting steel, etc. If you are not "on deck" or have just finished your run, you should be working to move the match along.

As for food and water...I'll be bringing along some cold water or gatorade, a couple trail mix bars and a few bananas. Oh yeah, make sure you have your favorite sunscreen and headache remedy.

Now, I understand that y'all are concerned about the size of the stages and the length of the match.

Dan- you know what I always say... the more shootin the better!

Cuz- you can expect to meet a lot of great people and have a lot of fun. If you have questions when you get there just ask them. Most everyone is happy to help if they can.

Usually the hot dog guy shows up with dogs, burgers, steak tips, drinks ect... Not sure if he is comming to this match but if I had to guess, I would say the Harvard guys have him scheduled.

Good luck!

Since I've never been to a "big" match (or any match at Harvard) I was hoping others could tell me what to expect. How early should I arrive at the match? What happens once I get there? Should I bring my own food and drinks or will there be some there? Will there be vendors there selling things? I'm looking for some kind of idea as to how the day will unfold.

Thanks.
-Cuz.

There is nothing that will be new to you there. You have shot with everyone on your squad at one time or another except for Whitey357 and he is a great guy too.

BRING WATER, BRING WATER, BRING WATER

As for Dan's Big Dog comment, some of us are better off on the porch so we don't get our leg humped.

Usually the hot dog guy shows up with dogs, burgers, steak tips, drinks ect... Not sure if he is comming to this match but if I had to guess, I would say the Harvard guys have him scheduled.

Good luck!

Yup, yup. The hot dog lady will be there. Bringing water is never a bad idea, but they'll have water, tonic, gatorade, etc.

Couple of questions because this is a more "formal" match then usual. I am shooting Production- Minor 9MM:

1. Will ammo be tested?

2. Do I need to shoot the same (brand) of ammo throughout the match. I have 3 brands of 9MM ?

3. I just got my first USPSA card and classification of "C". Do I need to shoot in this class or would I be allowed to shoot in "D"?

Would anything else be different than the usual local matches that we are used to participating in?

Ammo most likely will be chrono'd.
If you have a C classification, you will be in C class. That's the reason for classifications.
You can shoot different ammo, but, the one that they select for the chrono must meet specifications. Ammo selection may be done at more than one stage.

I don't know if they are going to chrono. The rule book says it is optional but recommended for a Sectional (Level II).

You declare your powerfactor as major or minor when you register. Production is actually scored minor whether declare it or not. I guess you can say you are trusted to be shooting ammo at that factor throughout the match. If they run a chrono, that's what they are checking. Typically, they ask at some point for rounds out of one of your loaded mags. Since it is minor that you'd be declaring, it is a safe bet all three of those brands of ammo make minor.

The funny thing about the chrono is that is where you have the potential to lose the most amount of points, but at the same time is the last thing you should be thinking about when you are at big match. It is out of your hands at that point. Get those points before you leave by double checking your PF.

You shoot in the class on the card.

I heard that a chrony stage will be set up in Pit 1 (where the plate racks are now..).

And speaking of chronying..hey Supermoto did you add any powder to your load??

Averaging a 165.00 PF at Area 7 was mighty close [shocked]

I heard that a chrony stage will be set up in Pit 1 (where the plate racks are now..).

And speaking of chronying..hey Supermoto did you add any powder to your load??

Averaging a 165.00 PF at Area 7 was mighty close [shocked]

That is cutting it close. I wonder if he really chrono'd it, or just used someone else's load. I've always checked my ammo, on my chrono. It's always been very close to what the match chrono was, regardless of location.

I did add .2 grains. The issue I was having was that the powder was sucking up the humidity in my basement if I left the powder in the hopper. I ran it thru 2 chronos set up back to back. I am running 170 pf now with fresh powder.

I did add .2 grains. The issue I was having was that the powder was sucking up the humidity in my basement if I left the powder in the hopper. I ran it thru 2 chronos set up back to back. I am running 170 pf now with fresh powder.

Mike,
When you get the PF you need with a given lot of powder, don't mess with the measure. That way you're loading by volume, not weight. You should end up with very little variation.

Mike,
When you get the PF you need with a given lot of powder, don't mess with the measure. That way you're loading by volume, not weight. You should end up with very little variation.

If the problem was absorption of moisture, would that not likely EXPAND the grains, thus reducing the actual volume of propellant?

Another reason why I always empty my measure after loading.

If the problem was absorption of moisture, would that not likely EXPAND the grains, thus reducing the actual volume of propellant?

Another reason why I always empty my measure after loading.

If it were a solid block of propellent, it may make more difference. However there is air space, even with small grain ball powder.

I have heard that 4756 really likes to suck up moisture, I'll weigh a charge and leave it out, It will be interesting to see if the weight increases and if it does, by how much.

Back
Top Bottom