• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2007 USPSA Northeast Section Match

Thanks guys. I just wanted to know how the day would unfold. I have no concerns what-so-ever about running with the big dogs. My goal (which I am sure I will attain) is just to have a good time. This is more of a social occasion where I'll get to shoot with friends and have fun than it is a "competition". I appreciate all the inputs.

-Cuz.

I have no concerns what-so-ever about running with the big dogs. My goal (which I am sure I will attain) is just to have a good time.

Roger that.

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed! [wink]

Preparation begins

I'll be heading to Harvard a little later today to work on stage two.
I'm going to do everything within my power to ensure that it runs smoothly and safely. The course will be as close to the same for each and every shooter as we can possibly make it. As I tell my stage crew, "Consistency is the hallmark of a well run stage/match."
That is what we shall strive for. Y'all can tell me afterwards how close we came to the mark.

So, does that make Matt the RI State HO? [wink]
QUOTE]

Not the HO, the HOA
to be pronounced ho-ah
and John, it was $633, which pays for the pile of bullets I just bought to last me through the sectional match, and have a few left over for next year.
I'm happy to see such a high round count.

QUOTE]

Not the HO, the HOA
to be pronounced ho-ah
and John, it was $633, which pays for the pile of bullets I just bought to last me through the sectional match, and have a few left over for next year.

You should spend that on new brass.

QUOTE]

Not the HO, the HOA
to be pronounced ho-ah

Matt,
Maybe you should buy some new brass with all that cash! [laugh2]
$633 worth of bullets would last me at least a year & 1/2.......

The round count is not the upcoming issue,
Summer Blast was approx. 250, out the door in 5 hours,
The issue will be keeping all the trick stages up & running......
We all are thankful for the great matches Harvard puts on![smile]
However,
Big events have to plan for the volume of shooters as well as putting on challenging stages.

Where's Pistol Pete????

I seem to recall that Pistol Pete was going to shoot lots of matches, now that snowmobile season is past. I found his name curiously absent on the squadding for the sectional match.
He still waiting for a backup gun?

My chrono notes:

5.1 titegroup, 180gr fmj, 1.165 oal 10 shot average = 1065 fps = 191.7 pf

4.9 titegroup, 180gr fmj, 1.165 oal 10 shot average= 1016 fps= 182.8 pf

I want to be around 172 pf. I have a sample of 4.7 and 4.8 to test this afternoon.....

I have always used TG in my guns. 4.7 in my 610 5" gun gives me 168PF. My 6.5" 610 gives me 170 PF. My Caspian 40 gives me 168-169PF same for my Glock 24.

Alrighty!! Just back from the range and have the load all worked out.

4.7gr Titegroup, 180gr fmj, 1.165 oal 12 shot string over the chrono:

Gives me an avg of 966fps=173.9 pf............Looks like I'm good to go. Time to load the match ammo!

Try going down to 4.6-4.7 and work up. I was always 4.7 for 168pf. I think Scott could make it comfortably with 4.6.

I got Scott's load info a couple years ago and it has worked well for me.

4.5 grains @ 1.150 OAL makes about 172 pf in his STI. I use the load with SR primers and have maintained 170PF

1.165. 1.150. What kind of sissy cartridges are these? Anything less than 1.200 isn't worth putting in the magazine.

1.165. 1.150. What kind of sissy cartridges are these? Anything less than 1.200 isn't worth putting in the magazine.

Overall Length has nothing to do with cartridges being sissy or not. It's only the power factor you load it to that makes a sissy round.

I won't be at this match because it is tax free weekend this weekend and I need to work all weekend. the beauty of working in sales!!! if I get a chance I'll swing by on Sunday. have fun!!!

Overall Length has nothing to do with cartridges being sissy or not. It's only the power factor you load it to that makes a sissy round.
So you're saying it's not the size of the wave but the motion of the ocean that counts?

Update

Barrels often exhibit wide velocity variations. The STI 40 I'm 'campaigning' this year has an Ed Brown barrel that started life as a bull barrel. Dave Santurri turned it down to a bushing barrel when I started experimenting with a light gun[grin]. It is a very accurate 40 barrel but also gives me about 50/sec less velocity than the other Ed Brown barrel in my other STI that I used to develop the load data that Gary referenced. I used 4.9 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup at Summer Blast and A7 this year and ran approximately 172 pf. I've just had a Schuemann installed in my other STI 40. I'll bet I'm back to 4.5 or 4.6 grains at 170 or so PF. The one thing I've absolutely determined is that velocities in a 5" 40 barrel will decrease as the barrel wears. I've worn out 3 or 4 and this observation is consistent for each barrel, no matter who makes it.

Also, when USPSA spec'd 175 PF, I ran a 182 power factor and an long OAL of 1.190-1.200. At 182 PF and a standard OAL, if the bullet pushes into the case as little as 20 to 30 thousandths you've dramatically increased case pressure. The long OAL gave me some insurance that if the bullet pushed in some, pressures would be maintained in a safe range. When USPSA changed to 165 PF I went back to a more standard OAL (1.160) so I could use these rounds in Glocks occasionally. Even if a bullet pushes in some, I know the STI will handle it. By the way; if you have a feedramp jam (which you shouldn't because you should have your gunsmith fix this[thinking]) I always pitch the round out because in every 40 I've seen jammed on the feedramp, the bullet was pushed back into the case, a lot.

Scott,
It's not just .40's that slow down with wear. They all do. Accuracy may not suffer, but velocity sure does.
Gammon had so many lead .45's through one gun he had to add a couple tenths to the original powder charge. Accuracy was still good even after almost 100,000 rounds. He shot a lot!

It's interesting that accuracy doesn't suffer as velocity decreases (at least with handguns). I've also found that true. I used to think that handgun accuracy was all about fit, (and a large part is) but sometimes particular barrels are really accurate.

Scott,
It's not just .40's that slow down with wear. They all do. Accuracy may not suffer, but velocity sure does.
Gammon had so many lead .45's through one gun he had to add a couple tenths to the original powder charge. Accuracy was still good even after almost 100,000 rounds. He shot a lot!

The gun was, of course, a Gammon, but the barrel didn't wear. The chamber expanded. I asked BarSto about this and they claimed to never have heard of such a problem. Brass from this gun is visibly streched, but it still shoots great.

I have two fortys with a lot of rounds through them with no significant loss in velocity. That is until today. I just chrono'd some ammo for the big match and came up 40 fps short using my favorite load; 4.8 WW 231 and a 180 gr plated bullet. Unfortunately, I also changed bullet MFRs (West Coast to Ranier) so I can't be sure whether this is barrel wear or the effect of a different bullet (the Rainier does have more bearing surface).

PS With the exception of high velocity loads (1000 fps and up) my experience has been that pistol barrels last forever. In 30 years of shooting and competing, I have never had to replace a worn out barrel.

Back
Top Bottom