1st Skeet gun - opinions?

Tried my hand at a round of skeet today, and liked it quite a bit. I'd like to keep going with it and dont want to be borrowing a gun every time. What would be a good gun to get started with? Gauge, action, model...etc.

Thanks.

An over-under, or a semi-auto. 12 gauge. Some do well
with pumps, but a new person would be hadicapping themselves. Will this shotgun be used for skeet only, or would you use it for hunting?
The biggest factor is fit; How the gun fits you. You could buy a $5000 shotgun and not be able to hit snot with it if it doesn't fit you. You really need to talk to a local guy who knows shotguns to show you what fits you.
I've used sideXsides, over-unders, and semis. I break more birds with my current gun, a Beretta 390, because it fits me well.

I haven't shot skeet in years, but I've seen skeet chokes for sale. If you get a gun with screw in chokes, couldn't you use it for skeet and hunting?

Any gun that holds at least two shells that you can shoot comfortably should work. A plus would be adjustable chokes.
You can't go wrong with a pump 12 ga. like the 870. Semi's tend to need a super thorough cleaning after shooting all those skeets. But the Extrema........someday you will be mine.

I picked up a used Ruger Silver Reserve O/U and I've shot several rounds of Trap and a few of Skeet with it and it's fast becoming a favorite of mine. They've had a bad rep for soft firing pins, but the one I have had the pins replaced and I picked it up used for short money. For the price, you cannot go wrong with it.

I picked up a used Ruger Silver Reserve O/U and I've shot several rounds of Trap and a few of Skeet with it and it's fast becoming a favorite of mine. They've had a bad rep for soft firing pins, but the one I have had the pins replaced and I picked it up used for short money. For the price, you cannot go wrong with it.

What is a Ruger Silver Reserve????

The great thing about the Beretta 391 guns is they come with shims to adjust the stock to fit you. May not fit you 100% but it gets you close. They also include two different thickness recoil pads to change the LOP. Great guns.

No, the Krieghoff K80 holds more records than the 1100. The 1100 may have more titles just because it has been around so much longer, but not more records.

I wouldn't recommend buying a K80 if you're just getting interested in shooting skeet, unless you have at least $5,000 lying around for a used one.

Try a bunch of guns at the club you belong to, and then decide what fits you best.
The most popular guns on the Skeet circuit are:
K80's and Kolars at the high end
Beretta 682's and 686's
The Browning Citoris
And for Autos- the Remington 1187, 1100, and Beretta 390 & 391's

Agreed, any of those guns will serve you well.

If you've gotta a couple ten thousands to spend, the Beretta SO series might be for you (I don't, but hopefully one day)

Look at what you have now. Any shotguns? If not, an auto would be a good start, they are light, well balanced, and can serve as a HD gun very well in a pinch. A double is nice, but wait til you find out whether the sport is for you before you commit $1000+ to a gun. A Beretta 391 or Remington 1100 (the former is very nice, what I have, but the latter is more cost-effective) will serve you well

I bought Beretta 391 for my first skeet and clays and it has been perfect. I have an 1187 as well and I like the balance of it but it is more maintenance dependent for reliability. The Beretta system just runs cleaner but is more expensive.

I own and shoot a Beretta 391 for Trap and Skeet. This gun is a dream to shoot! The Beretta semi auto is the softest shooting gun you will find. The ONLY downside to the Beretta semi's in my opinion is cleaning. Don't get me wrong, my gun will run 500 plus shells with no ill effects what so ever before I clean it. But like most semi auto's, they do shit where they eat, and when it's time to clean, it is at least a 30 min. job.

I do see the attraction to a great quality over/under. From what I see at the clubs, once you eliminate the BIG MONEY guns there are usually equal amounts of Brownings and Beretta's on the field. There is no question, O/U's are easier to clean and have fewer parts than the semi's but like anything else there is no one gun that is perfect for all sports.

If you are a Skeet only shooter, a 26" barreled 20 GA might be your favorite. For hard core Trap that gun would be no good. A good Trap gun would need at least a 30" barrel and in 12 GA, and alot of serious Trap shooters choose 32" or even 34" barrels.

Sometimes it's easier to work backwards. Decide what you will shoot most often (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays) figure out what your maximum budget is, and buy the best gun you can find for the money. If you choose a quality maker (Beretta, Browning, etc.) you will always do well when it is time to trade in for something else.

Good luck

Remember that this was to be an entry level skeet gun. While the 5000 dollar plus guns are nice, it's a little steep for entry level.

berettas and benelli's r awsome...
if your going to do some hunting later on or w/e make sure you choose a gun you can do that w/unless you want to get another gun...

me, i bought a cammo Benelli Supernova w/Steady grip and use it for turkey/deer hunting and skeet and trap, works well for me! it is funny when i take it out @ the skeet range tho! (as you could imagine) hahahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom