1st gun purchase (concealed carry)

Done quite a bit of research and have narrowed it down to 2 guns. Ruger lcp vs a bodyguard.

As far as a holster I have 2 sitting in my amazon shopping cart. A superfly pocket holster and an ankle holster.

Work dress is business casual with no sports coat most of the year.

Couple of questions. In an ankle holster would the light weight of these guns prevent it sliding down on me without a calf strap?

With either purchase would there be any modifications I'd have to make to make them a better fit? i.e trigger etc?

I've read the laser on the bodyguard is junk and apparently some reliability issues but that seems to be older posts. Has that been ironed out? If I were to buy used anyway to avoid getting one of those older models?

Anyway. That's enough for now. I'm hoping to wet my appetite with one of these smaller guns and then buy something like a glock down the road for the days with a sports coat.

Thanks in advance. These seem to be the best 2 that fit my budget/dress but if you can think of something else in a similar size/budget I'd love to do some research on that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't believe the lcp is MA compliant but you may find someone here on NES that has one. I've shot both and the triggers are some of the heaviest and longest trigger pulls I've ever felt on a gun. They are definitely very small and easily concealed. You would need to practice A LOT to get comfortable with either of those triggers.

I understand you're on a budget but hold one and feel the trigger before you buy it, if you can. Other small concealable .380s that have good reviews but are more money than those guns is the Sig P238 which has an awesome single action only trigger. Or maybe a Kahr PM9 if you can afford it is also a great gun chambered in 9mm.

Unless you are a truly experienced shooter who has practiced defensive shooting without ever actually owning a gun you would be a fool to buy either of them.

The thing you need most now is skill. You've never drawn from a holster. You've never shot in low light either with or without a flashlight. You've never shot at a moving target.
I can go on and on. and on.

You will never develop the skill with either of those guns. Neither is any fun to shoot and neither is a good instructional tool.

I could tell you to get a .22 but you won't listen to that. So instead, I'd suggest you get a full sized 9mm like a Glock 17, M&P 9, or XD-M.

These are guns you can learn with. You'll end up owning one eventually. If you get an Advantage Arms .22 kit for a glock you are in even better shape.

Just my .02

Unless you are a truly experienced shooter who has practiced defensive shooting without ever actually owning a gun you would be a fool to buy either of them.

The thing you need most now is skill. You've never drawn from a holster. You've never shot in low light either with or without a flashlight. You've never shot at a moving target.

You will never develop the skill with either of those guns. Neither is any fun to shoot and neither is a good instructional tool.

I could tell you to get a .22 but you won't listen to that. So instead, I'd suggest you get a full sized 9mm like a Glock 17, M&P 9, or XD-M.

These are guns you can learn with. You'll end up owning one eventually. If you get an Advantage Arms .22 kit for a glock you are in even better shape.

Just my .02

+ 1. Ankle holsters seem like a good idea in theory. As a primary gun, in reality, if something bad goes down you'll be found on your knees trying to dig it out...........
Another option could be something along the lines of an LCR or S&W variant worn IWB. Neither, IMO fun or particularly easy to shoot but tried and true CCW options.... Like CCMDON suggested, you'd be surprised how much gun you can conceal with the right holster/clothing combo.........

Last edited:

Just my .02

Although it sounds a bit harsh, I agree with dcmdon. Neither gun is a very good first gun. They are more of a "get you out of trouble when you can't carry anything better" type gun.

+ 1. Ankle holsters seem like a good idea in theory. As a primary gun, in reality, if something bad goes down you'll be found on your knees trying to dig it out...........
Another option could be something along the lines of an LCR or S&W variant worn IWB. Neither, IMO fun or particularly easy to shoot but tried and true CCW options.... Like CCMDON suggested, you'd be surprised how much gun you can conceal with the right holster/clothing combo.........

If you drive a lot, ankle holsters can be great as a primary location. But otherwise I agree.

The nice thing about a LCP is that it can be carried in a pocket in a pocket holster. New carriers are often averse to the weight and bulk of a larger gun in a more standard holster.

I've owned a LCP since they first came out. Its a great little carry gun. But it is no fun to shoot and is defintitely something you are going to build your skills with.

If it's between the LCP(I've owned) and the Bodyguard(not owned but shot) I'd choose the LCP. I second the recommendation of the Sig P238 and as mentioned above PM9 is a better choice than any of them.

I went through the same thing as you are doing now - tried many different pocket guns including the LCP/P3AT/642/LCR etc. The LCP/P3AT had great size/weight but bad triggers. The snubby revolvers were bulkier, had bad triggers, and reloads are extremely slow unless you practice a lot - I don't recommend them at all. Just my opinion gents, lets not douche up this thread with a snubby revolver debate.

The PM9 is the only gun in that group I didn't hate practicing with. You do intend to practice with your carry gun right? [wink] If you want to try the PM9 I could meet you at Woodcock Rd in Dartmouth some day - also have a Shield you could check out.

The Superfly holster works fine for pocket carry - never tried an ankle holster so I can't help you there.

Although it sounds a bit harsh, I agree with dcmdon. Neither gun is a very good first gun. They are more of a "get you out of trouble when you can't carry anything better" type gun.

It wasn't meant to sound harsh. Sorry if it die. it was meant to sound matter of fact. There is no debating this.

Of course plenty of people go this route. One of my best friends did this. Right after taking the NRA Basic Handgun class with me, he went out and bought a LCP. I convinced him to get something larger, so he did . . marginally larger. He bought a Kahr CM9. At least with the extended mag, the Kahr can be used at the range.

He finally got around to buying a Gen4 G17 for his wife, and is amazed at how much better he shoots it as well as how much more fun it is to shoot than his little hideaway guns.

The Kahr P9 is a better choice for most people than the PM. The PM is small enough to pocket carry. if because of its weight, you aren't going to pocket carry it, you are better off with the slightly larger P9. For me the PM9 was exclusively a pocket proposition. I'm a wuss when it comes to weight in my pocket, so I found myself carrying the P9 all the time. So the PM9 is gone. For pocket carry for me its the LCP or 340PD.

Last edited:
Your first ever gun and you want to get LCP? I would instead get LCR and shoot the be Jesus out of it before even considering carrying it. And definitely in IWB good holster. But first ever gun IMHO should be 22 LR along the lines of Ruger MIII...

I bought a bodyguard. I carry it every day. The trigger sucks. The laser isn't particularly accurate. It is a 25 foot gun.

Every time I got to the range, I put 4 or 5 magazines through it. Every time. It is a chore. It is not fun, it is work.

I also bought a PM9. Heavier, less concealable as a pocket gun, quirkier, but a better shooter.

If you want to try both and are willing to make a trip out this way, (metrowest) PM me.

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. Very helpful.

Right now I'm a member if Massachusetts firearms school so I've been shooting their guns for a few months. Got to try the PM9 and loved that one. Price tag is obviously he highest. I was in the state of mind to buy one of these more reasonable prices ones, get used to carrying then pay up for the PM9.

The haven't had a chance to shoot their LCP nor their bodyguard cause I didn't have access to any 380 rounds. I finally got some in so ill I've those a try next time I go up.

As far as any harshness or whatever I don't mind at all. I'd rather hear the truth as opposed to any sugar coated opinion anyday.

Thanks again. I'll keep shooting and trying new guns til I find something that fits my situation just right.

P.s. Once again, That PM9 is a nice gun. Maybe I'll wait til one of you fine gents get bored and wanna sell me yours ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

you said you have done the research but until you actually fire them you won't really know which fits you. Don't discount a revolver......j frame smiths in .38 plus p pack a lot more smack than a .380 and are very light and easy to conceal. There is a reason the j frame smith is the best selling model out there. I was a semi auto fan for years and looked at revolvers as "old school"......until my wife took the safety course and went for a revolver for her CCW because of the simplicity. Now I own a ruger sp101 in 357 and it is on my hip every day......and the wife carries a s and w 642 performance center .38 plus p and we don't ever feel out gunned with either of those side arms.

And I have a fondness for snub nose revolvers that I never had with semi autos.......I have a whole list of classics that I would like to own.....

My fiance had the all steel MK9 which she ditched for a shield. The shield is slightly bigger but is actually a good gun to shoot (with the apex kit) I can say I shoot her 9mm shield about as fast as my p229. I also pocket carry it on occasion. She is tiny so I doubt you would have any issue concealing it.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

dcmdon hit it on the head. If you need more experience behind the sights than the two options you mentioned probably aren't the best options for you. If you find a gun that you like (the pm9 for instance) that you enjoy shooting, you should strongly consider that even if the price tag is higher. If you like the gun and it's enjoyable to shoot you will practice more and develop proficiency faster. Since you said this is a carry gun it's worth buying a well made gun with a good reputation. If you should ever need it for protection will you feel better that you saved few hundred bucks or would you rather be more confident with the gun and your skill? Side note: not saying you can't develop good shooting habits with the LCP or Bodyguard but it will be harder and will take more time and training to do so.

My experience with tiny "baby" guns is that they have terrible triggers, and a stupid strong recoil spring. My friend's wife had a DB9, and it was total garbage. Even after a 500rd break in, it was still stove piping at least 3 rounds per mag.

I know the DB9 isn't a gun you mentioned, but that's my experience with small conceal guns. I agree with everyone else that you should start off with a larger frame firearm first to get your skillset down and then challenge yourself with a smaller frame later on. I conceal a Glock 23 just fine with jeans and a button up every day.

Spend the extra money for the 238! Do it, seriously! Post a WTB and scour the shops for a used one if money is really an issue. A BG380 is better than nothing, but not by much. No experience with the LCP.

do you need deep concealment, will this be your primary gun? i have a P3AT (basically what the LCP was designed after, ruger improved on the design though) and it's only carried when i can't carry anything else.

ever consider a S&W 4/642? or a 340PD, etc.? if you've got to carry something in your pocket or on your ankle only. sig P238 as other have mentioned, too.

do you need deep concealment, will this be your primary gun? i have a P3AT (basically what the LCP was designed after, ruger improved on the design though) and it's only carried when i can't carry anything else.

ever consider a S&W 4/642? or a 340PD, etc.? if you've got to carry something in your pocket or on your ankle only. sig P238 as other have mentioned, too.

This. I'd stay away from .380 but to each his own. Check out a good J-frame. Can't go wrong with that. Will go bang every time and hit a shit ton harder than a .380

the speer gold dot short barrel rounds are NASTY, had those when i carried a 442. loved them.

have been considering another small revolver as i may give the P3AT to lady atilla as it's harder to find guns a female can conceal, and this one fits the bill quite well.

Thanks again for the recommendations! put 100 rounds or so through the shield and really liked that one too, just seemed too big to pocket carry...

After reading these responses I think I may need to look into an IWB carry and something a little larger more along the lines of a PM9.

I'll have to check out the p 238. haven't played with that one yet...

Oh, and this would be my primary carry... I spend most of my time behind a desk or in a car so that's where the ankle carry idea came from...

Those are both great weapons, I like them a lot, but....why limit yourself? A lot of people won't agree with me on this, but if Im in a situation that requires me to be both accurate and on the mark, I want a gun that is capable of delivering both.

I've owned and carried small revolvers, and I think they have their place. Indeed, I miss my model 60 sometimes, but am glad I traded it towards my 4" 686 revolver.

I know, this is where people call me out of my mind and say its impossible to conceal a Howitzer like this. Again, if I have to shoot accurately, I want the gun that's going to do it. Aside from that, the 686 and my 4506, also a massive handgun, is my favorite piece to shoot, making me more likely to practice with it.

I couldn't say that for my 60.

Do what you think works best for you because while its not impossible to conceal a full sized handgun, it can be a challenge requiring about an extra minute of consideration when you're getting dressed.

D
I've read the laser on the bodyguard is junk and apparently some reliability issues but that seems to be older posts. Has that been ironed out? If I were to buy used anyway to avoid getting one of those older models?

I don't think there was any reliability issue, more that people just didn't care for the pistol. I know that was the case with me. I have a fairly early one, never had a problem with reliabilty, it always goes bang. I just don't enjoy shooting it, when I have so many other options available to me.

I have the LCP,Bodyguard and the 238.

I would take the 238 over the LCP without a doubt. As for the Bodyguard..Id just assume have a stick or a rock lol....I hate that gun.The 238 just feels right.

I recently bought my first carry gun and got a Ruger LC9, it is a singe stack 9mm and I really like it, the trigger breaks very long and it took me about 300 rounds to get comfortable. It had the lasermax on it which I like because it can double as my night stand pistol. I have $100 down on a 9mm shield but got tired of waiting so I bought this one and now that I have it I think I like it. Very easy to conceal, no problems with it yet have about 500 rounds so far.

I'm a Sig guy but note the 238 is single-action only. So you can carry it without a round in the chamber (i.e., as a paperweight), cocked and locked (better practice flipping off the safety as you draw, and hope you remember when it counts), or cocked and unlocked.... if you dare.

Last edited:
i avoid both like the plague

the LCP is junk and so is the bodyguard. Hey i like smith&wesson as much as the next guy but the bodyguard is a POS.

Kahr, Glock, S&W (other ones) etc. I really want a shield right now

I'm hoping to wet my appetite with one of these smaller guns and then buy something like a glock down the road for the days with a sports coat.

I'm a very firm believer that the cheapest option is to just buy what you want from the get-go instead of wasting your time with stuff you think might satisfy you. If you're on the South Shore, I have a few hundred rounds of .40 and a Glock 23 if you want to try it out and see how you like it. I also have a 9mm conversion barrel so you can see how you'd like the Glock 19.

Back
Top Bottom