1st gun purchase (concealed carry)

if u want a cheap gun that is very reliable and good. the smith and wesson sd9ve or the old police duty gun model 5906 are great guns and can be had for under 450. the msrp on the sd9ve is 300

if u want a cheap gun that is very reliable and good. the smith and wesson sd9ve or the old police duty gun model 5906 are great guns and can be had for under 450. the msrp on the sd9ve is 300

The sd9ve is tougher to conceal though...way more so than a pm9

the 5906,6906, sd9ve are all easily concealable with the right holster and clothing. it just depends on what you want. for a budget gun that is a good shooter and concealable the sd9ve is a great option. it has a 7-8lb trigger pull which is the only downside. but with the apex spring you can bring it to a 4-5lb trigger pull

TaxMan,

First. I agree with everyone who says try it before you buy it. That goes for holsters and how you carry too. Small guns like the lcp and methods of carry like ankle and pocket holsters may seem like a great idea on paper, but for many people they don't work well in reality.

Two, don't be cheap. We're talking about a piece of equipment that will last longer than you will, and could save your life one day. This is not something you want to be thrifty about. It's well worth the extra few hundred dollars to buy the "right" gun for you, whatever that may be. Besides, most gun owners who go cheap on their first gun end up buying the "right" gun later anyway, and have to eat the cost of the cheap gun, so it's probably cheaper the buy the "right" gun first.

The "right" gun is whatever you shoot the best, and enjoy shooting the most; it's different for everyone, and the only way you can figure it out is by trying different guns.

I know a few guys who carry those super light J frame revolvers, and I don't know why - they can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, and they don't practice because they hate shooting it. Don't be like those guys.

I've found for a business casual office job, the best gun/holster combo for me (and most other people) is a compact polymer semi auto (GLOCK, M&P, XD) in a tuckable IWB holster (Cross Breed, Comp Tac) sitting on your waist between 3:00 and 6:00. See if that works for you

I've found for a business casual office job, the best gun/holster combo for me (and most other people) is a compact polymer semi auto (GLOCK, M&P, XD) in a tuckable IWB holster (Cross Breed, Comp Tac) sitting on your waist between 3:00 and 6:00. See if that works for you

This is what I use (Glock, Crossbreed, 3-330) and it's great. I had to add a little forward cant on the holster so the grip wouldn't super print, but it's comfortable. The can't also helps when sitting down.

i avoid both like the plague

the LCP is junk and so is the bodyguard. Hey i like smith&wesson as much as the next guy but the bodyguard is a POS.

Kahr, Glock, S&W (other ones) etc. I really want a shield right now

You are plainly wrong about the LCP. I've sold probably a dozen of them and never had one come back. I've gotten plenty of complaints about the recoil, but they always seem to run. Which is about all that is required for its intended purpose.

Re the OP commenting on the PM9. Remember 2 things:

1) Kahr makes an equivalent lower priced line. The CW9 is like the P9 and the CM9 is like the PM9

2) If you aren't going to pocket carry the PM9, you would be better off with a P9. Try out the PM9 at MFS if you can. By try out, I mean put it in your pocket. Its small, but for me was too heavy. To each his own. Of all the people I've sold PM9/CM9s to, most intended to pocket carry and probably half ended up getting a decent IWB or OWB holster. The P9 or PM9 is almost unnoticeable in a OWB pancake holster on a good belt.

Based on your user id and your comments, I'm guessing you work in an office and typically wear a tucked in shirt without a suit coat or jacket. This dress is the hardest to conceal with. I've never trusted tuckable IWBs in this situation. I don't want to be "made" at work.

If all this is true, then your idea of an LCP as a pocket gun is a good one. It just isn't really a good choice for a FIRST gun. Although, you may be more experienced than some of us give you credit fir. I'd suggest you take a carry class at MFS and get that down. Then shoot some practical/combat/defensive matches. It doesn't take many to become reasonably proficient. Don't be embarrassed. If you check your ego at the door the other shooters will bend over backwards to help you. If you put your mind to it, you could be ready to responsibly carry in a month.

If you can comfortably pocket carry the PM/CM9 then its certainly better than the LCP. But try it out in all kinds of clothes. I found the PM9, particularly in dress pants just moved around too much. In jeans it was fine. But in looser dress pants with the deeper pockets, I felt the gun shift like 8 inches when I sat down.

In contrast, the LCP or something similar, can ALWAYS be carried, anywhere. My LCP is my anywhere gun. I usually carry a G19 or P9. When I'm feeling lazy as far as discomfort, its the 340PD J frame in a pancake holster. If I'm wearing a tucked in dress shirt or going somewhere where I absolutely can not be "made" its the LCP in a pocket holster.

I hope this helps.

Don

TaxMan,
Two, don't be cheap. We're talking about a piece of equipment that will last longer than you will, and could save your life one day. This is not something you want to be thrifty about. It's well worth the extra few hundred dollars to buy the "right" gun for you, whatever that may be. Besides, most gun owners who go cheap on their first gun end up buying the "right" gun later anyway, and have to eat the cost of the cheap gun, so it's probably cheaper the buy the "right" gun first.

This, this, this. If you do things right, and by that I mean buy some good holsters, get some good training and shoot enough (and frequently enough) to stay proficient, the additional two or three hundred dollars you spend in acquiring a decent carry gun will be insignificant.

For the record, I own a BG 380 and have had several problems with it. If you've searched here on it you've probably read about them. It's cute, but barely better than nothing if you're serious about defending yourself.

I currently carry a Glock 26 in a Dale Fricke Archangel appendix holster. When I move out of commie-land next year, I will probably go to a G19.

I'm not a big guy but the Shield disappears under a t-shirt or untucked button down so I would think a bigger guy could carry more gun. The trigger is rough to say the least but I have shot so many Mozambique drills from the IWB it feels pretty good.
I tried an ankle holster and can't stand the feel. It's also tougher than hell getting good at drawing from it unless you have any bell bottoms which by the way most of these guys still have from the seventies. Any initial saving on your purchase will be made up thru ammo cost in weeks not months.

You would be better served by buying a full sized handgun and learning the basics. Then take an IDPA class, and get proficient at pulling from a holster and engaging targets while moving and in low light etc. After your proficient, then get a concealable handgun. It doesn't end there. Now use your CCW in IDPA scenarios and get proficient with that. Too many people carry, but don't have enough trigger time to safely protect themselves and their families. If you ever need to pull, hopefully you'll have enough stored muscle memory to make a difference. Just my 2 cents.

I bought a bodyguard. I carry it every day. The trigger sucks. The laser isn't particularly accurate. It is a 25 foot gun.

Every time I got to the range, I put 4 or 5 magazines through it. Every time. It is a chore. It is not fun, it is work.

I also bought a PM9. Heavier, less concealable as a pocket gun, quirkier, but a better shooter.

If you want to try both and are willing to make a trip out this way, (metrowest) PM me.

+1

have a BG380 and its fine for pocket carry and yes, the trigger and laser suck, but its fine for what it is. just make sure that you spend a LOT of time on the range with it if you get it before you start to carry.

BTW, supposedly the laser screw issue has been taken care of (the screw to change batteries would sometimes work itself loose and keep it from cycling). The laser will get blocked by gunpowder after a dozen rounds or so, but in a defense situation that shouldn't matter

If you are interested I am up in Taunton and I will let you try a BG380 if you want, PM me

Last edited:
You would be better served by buying a full sized handgun and learning the basics. Then take an IDPA class, and get proficient at pulling from a holster and engaging targets while moving and in low light etc. After your proficient, then get a concealable handgun. It doesn't end there. Now use your CCW in IDPA scenarios and get proficient with that. Too many people carry, but don't have enough trigger time to safely protect themselves and their families. If you ever need to pull, hopefully you'll have enough stored muscle memory to make a difference. Just my 2 cents.
this.

google bodyguard problems and you'll find hundreds if not thousands across all websites of posts (i'm not talking just nes)

do the same with the sig p238 and it's almost crickets chirping

i bought the ruger lcr .38 and although i thought it was a mistake later on, it's easily concealable in pocket or iwb and thats what i edc
.38 + p inside 25 feet it is the true pocket cannon---same with the comparable s & w j frames

the instant i can afford to buy it will be the p238. no need for another long pull double action for me

yes it is a significant drop in stopping power from .38 +p to .380 but increased capacity and better accuracy
is worth it in my opinion and i hope i never have to find out if i am right or wrong

Last edited:
I've gone through a few carry pieces and finally settled with a pm9 which I am very happy with. Now I have multiple carry guns just sitting in a safe. (All for sale *wink wink) My advice is to splurge on what you REALLY want and not settle for instant gratification. However, if you choose to go with a bodyguard, lc9, or Lcp check out Galloway precision for trigger mods.

My experience with tiny "baby" guns is that they have terrible triggers, and a stupid strong recoil spring. My friend's wife had a DB9, and it was total garbage. Even after a 500rd break in, it was still stove piping at least 3 rounds per mag.

I know the DB9 isn't a gun you mentioned, but that's my experience with small conceal guns. I agree with everyone else that you should start off with a larger frame firearm first to get your skillset down and then challenge yourself with a smaller frame later on. I conceal a Glock 23 just fine with jeans and a button up every day.

Going to strongly disagree with that and recommend the DB9. The older series had all kinds of problems. Every micro gun is a little tough to use but the new DB9s are a whole different gun http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...amondback-db9-first-impressions-thoughts.html

Going to strongly disagree with that and recommend the DB9. The older series had all kinds of problems. Every micro gun is a little tough to use but the new DB9s are a whole different gun http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...amondback-db9-first-impressions-thoughts.html

I just read all of that, and form the description you gave, my friend's wife had the earlier version of the DB9. It's also completely possible that hers was just a lemon. But out of the 5 or so range days we took it on, it did absolutely nothing to impress me.

I just read all of that, and form the description you gave, my friend's wife had the earlier version of the DB9. It's also completely possible that hers was just a lemon. But out of the 5 or so range days we took it on, it did absolutely nothing to impress me.

It's really such a shame their early examples had so many documented issues because it's earned the gun a now-undeserved reputation. Mine runs like an atomic solar clock thus far.

To the OP, check out my review that I linked. I address the real world bulled energy difference between the DB9 and a micro .380. I can also recommend holsters for pocket, appendix, and 3-4 o'clock carry at this point. I personally prefer a much larger gun as my primary carry gun, but the DB9 is awesome for anyone set on a micro pistol.

You are the first person I've ever heard who was happy with their DB9. I hope they figured things out, but one man does not make for a trend.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally prefer a much larger gun as my primary carry gun, but the DB9 is awesome for anyone set on a micro pistol.

But it would still be a TERRIBLE gun for a new shooter, even if it runs flawlessly. Way too much recoil. It is a good way to develop a flinch.

Amazing response and offers. This community is willing to go out of their way to help a random newbie.

I think I've decided to put off the purchase for a little bit. As of this moment my plans are to take a concealed carry class and eventually buy the PM9. In the meantime I'll continue to shoot anything I can and see if anything feels better.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The PM9 isn't a range gun per se, but is still more fun and easier to shoot. The trigger is also pretty damn good out of the box. Not sure on your physical size, but being able to carry 9mm in my front pocket was a plus for me.

I love my bodygaurd but I carry it during the warmer months. The rest of the year my ccw is a s&w mp9 with an in the waste band holster.

The BG has a hard trigger pull and was difficult to get used to but I'm got pretty good at groupings the more I shot it. I would recommend shooting it first as it 100% isn't for everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Amazing response and offers. This community is willing to go out of their way to help a random newbie.

I think I've decided to put off the purchase for a little bit. As of this moment my plans are to take a concealed carry class and eventually buy the PM9. In the meantime I'll continue to shoot anything I can and see if anything feels better.

Thanks again!

I have been very happy with my PM9 and carry it a lot. Recoil is not as bad as you would think, and it is surprisingly accurate.

However, I am going to break with conventional wisdom here and suggest to you that either the Ruger or the LCP is better than an empty pocket should you encounter a situation in the near future.

I agree with everything others have said about training, bigger guns, higher quality etc, but if you are the victim of a violent crime before you get your PM9, I bet you will wish you had purchased the Ruger.

Decided to get my head wrapped around the pricing on the PM9. I figure I'll keep my eyes opened on gun broker and past WTS threads etc.

1st of all. Anyone got a decent price range for a new/used PM9?

Is there a better way to make sure these are MA compliant other than the seller listing it in his item description?

Think that's about all. Anything else I should keep my eyes opened for on these? Specific serial numbers etc?

i avoid both like the plague

the LCP is junk and so is the bodyguard. Hey i like smith&wesson as much as the next guy but the bodyguard is a POS.

Kahr, Glock, S&W (other ones) etc. I really want a shield right now

I shot my friend's shield in .40 and, even with a really light trigger, I just can't shoot it that well. I'm not sure if it's because the grip is so dam small, the pop of the .40 round, or something else. The pistol plates were fairly safe with me shooting it. I swap to my Beretta 92 and those plates never had a chance.

Somebody already made the good point of starting with a .22 to attain a certain degree of competence. It's a huge responsibility carrying a gun, and potential unintended innocent victims and us other law abiding LTCers are counting on each other to keep it clean and smart. With that said, I love my Ruger SR9c-it's reliable as hell, holds 10 rounds, small enough to easily conceal in a large shorts pocket or an inside the belt holster. I personally have little faith in ankle holsters. Good luck!

If you're going to go with a .22, you might want to take a look at pistols that have conversion kits. That way you don't need to buy two pistols and you can practice with the same trigger and pistol in both calibers.

Back
Top Bottom