• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st AR Build, SDM type build... 1st Range Trip Update

As from my other thread, I've never built an AR. My intention with this build is to spec the way I want, semi budget minded, an accurate, fun to shoot, bench or prone type rifle built for inside of 600 yards.

This thread will serve as a progress or status report for where I'm at with the build.(lame, and done a million times I know!) Please feel free to make fun, tell me I suck and how much better an AR you have!

For starters, we have a Anderson Stripped Lower from a recent NES group buy.

20150328_192725_zpsqy1tlt22.jpg

3-28-15 added

DPMS LPK w/o trigger.
Magpul MOE grip
White Oak SPR 18" barrel (rifle length gas system)

20150328_192811_zps8hpnr5xb.jpg

BCM charging handle
Magpul MOE rifle stock

20150406_191159_zps1bo7koko.jpg

BCM BCG
Anderson Stripped Upper
Anderson Reciever Ext

20150408_185552_zpsywtvwaly.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I recently completed my first build with an Anderson lower from the group buy. I'm already planning my 2nd build, and I'm kicking myself for not buying a few more lowers. I'm starting to feel like an addict!

Nice. I recently completed my first build with an Anderson lower from the group buy. I'm already planning my 2nd build, and I'm kicking myself for not buying a few more lowers. I'm starting to feel like an addict!

Thanks, I expect this to take a while before completion... I'm more or less just going to pick away at it.

The problem is, once is "completed" I have to buy an optic for it.... and right now I can afford anything I want!

BTW, there are still some pretty good sale prices found on the anderson lowers... thought about adding a second for a 300blk setup myself

Last edited:
Thanks, I expect this to take a while before completion... I'm more or less just going to pick away at it.

The problem is, once is "completed" I have to buy an optic for it.... and right now I can afford anything I want!

BTW, there are still some pretty good sale prices found on the anderson lowers... thought about adding a second for a 300blk setup myself

Why do you "need" a optic. Irons out to 600 are fun. As long as you can see! My eyes are going.
Off to a decent start though. Although the cost of shipping can hurt you should see if white oak,will take that barrel back and sell you one with a matched bolt, just a thought.
I built my "last" ar as a prone varmint rifle. Right now it sports a A1 stock but I'm thinking of a stock that has adjustable comb to get better aligned with the scope.
I have the RRA 2 stage trigger and like it very much. Tried some fancy 2 stage triggers and like those also. It was a price thing for me.
I been putting off buying a new scope to finish up a few other projects first. I can't really wrap,my head around which scope to buy. I want a scope good for target work with smaller precise crosshairs and hash marks. I set my goal price of 800-1000$ when the time comes. Figure the optics on this build should cost at least the same as,the rifle.
Will be watching.

Why do you "need" a optic. Irons out to 600 are fun. As long as you can see! My eyes are going.
Off to a decent start though. Although the cost of shipping can hurt you should see if white oak,will take that barrel back and sell you one with a matched bolt, just a thought.
I built my "last" ar as a prone varmint rifle. Right now it sports a A1 stock but I'm thinking of a stock that has adjustable comb to get better aligned with the scope.
I have the RRA 2 stage trigger and like it very much. Tried some fancy 2 stage triggers and like those also. It was a price thing for me.
I been putting off buying a new scope to finish up a few other projects first. I can't really wrap,my head around which scope to buy. I want a scope good for target work with smaller precise crosshairs and hash marks. I set my goal price of 800-1000$ when the time comes. Figure the optics on this build should cost at least the same as,the rifle.
Will be watching.

Thanks for the thoughts....

This build will get irons, as I have spent a little time doing some NRA across the course service rifle matches (I suck though!)

Barrel was purchased through brownells, but I'll contact John at WOA and see what he thinks. Hes s good guy, as I puchased a serve rifle upper through him 4 years ago.

Trigger will be a geissele G2S-E, I'm 90% sure. I had the RRA 2 stage in my previous service rifle and that's not a bad option either

Scopes, geez I just don't know. I have a few ideas

Part of me considered buying an inexpensive SWFA SS scope that would eventually end up on a CZ rifle in.22mag while I saved for a Vortex or Leupold ( or nightforce, but that's a stretch)

Last edited:
Swfa 5-20x non illumated is a very popular scope in that price range. I have a weaver tactical 3-15x50 emdr that I love. Great scope for the money. Can be picked up for under $600 used on sniper's hide EE.

This build will get irons, as I have spent a little time doing some NRA across the course service rifle matches (I suck though!)

Barrel was purchased through brownells, but I'll contact John at WOA and see what he thinks. Hes s good guy, as I puchased a serve rifle upper through him 4 years ago.

Trigger will be a geissele G2S-E, I'm 90% sure. I had the RRA 2 stage in my previous service rifle and that's not a bad option either

Part of me considered buying an inexpensive SWFA SS scope that would eventually end up on a CZ rifle in.22mag while I saved for a Vortex or Leupold ( or nightforce, but that's a stretch)

I like nra service rifle and will continue to shoot it until I can't see the black blob. I shoot XTX 2 times a year don't practice much and still surprise myself. Scores have gone up steadily. I'm going to reading in a few weeks. I want to best my 771/800. Figure if I get just a few more shots in the black in awefulhand
Not get caught in the wind and get pushed into the 5 ring again. I think I can break into the 780s

Looking for so.e thoughts on free float handguards....

My barrel is a 18" rifle length gas system. I really like the Geissele SMR MK2, but it only comes in a 13" leaving my gas black partially exposed. I've considered a low profile adjustable gas block, but I'm not sure Ill be happy with it hanging out the front of the hand guard.

Other rail considerations are Troy SDMR in 15" and BCM KMR15

Troy? [puke]

I gave a Geissele MKII and it's a nice rail but Ill probably replace it soon, just not the right size for me. Can't go wrong with the KMR, also take a look at Midwest Industries, they make good stuff.

Troy? [puke]

I gave a Geissele MKII and it's a nice rail but Ill probably replace it soon, just not the right size for me. Can't go wrong with the KMR, also take a look at Midwest Industries, they make good stuff.

What length MK2, 13 or 15?

I should have stated, this rifle will be used off a bipod prone or off a bench only so I'm not worried about weight.

I have heard / seen issues with the MI handguards so I don't think I'll go in that direction

I'm pretty sold on the Geissele MK2, other than the fact that the 13 won't cover the gas block and the 15 is discontinued and $50 more at the dealers that still have them

Last edited:
I looked around and could not find anything long enough to completely cover the gas block.
I also could not see spending 200+ on a hand guard. I ended up with the RRA rifle length round hand guard with a sling swivel for my Harris bipod.
I really wanted to cover the gas block but the I realized that if the gas block (set screws not pinned) ever came loose the guard would have to come off. So no easy on the fly fix.
I have the basic houge hand guard on another rifle but needed to drill my own hole for sling stud.

After handling a Daniel Defense rifle tonight, I think I will add the new daniel defense SLiM rail 15" into the mix.... I really like the BCM, but i don't get a discount on them (vs the Geissele and the DD) this makes the BCM roughly $65 more than either of them

What length MK2, 13 or 15?

I should have stated, this rifle will be used off a bipod prone or off a bench only so I'm not worried about weight.

I have heard / seen issues with the MI handguards so I don't think I'll go in that direction

I'm pretty sold on the Geissele MK2, other than the fact that the 13 won't cover the gas block and the 15 is discontinued and $50 more at the dealers that still have them

I have the 13", but I should have said I don't like the diameter/shape vs. some other rails I've used - that probably won't matter to you for your intended use. Centurion makes a 14" CMR, which is my favorite rail - here's a 14" rail on an 18" barrel:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/8927659234_5d9ea5bfcb_o.jpg

I realize it's sort of a luck of the draw thing, but the woa I just put in my 20" build is an moa gun. I do have a $265 YM bcg in it, but obviously not matched to barrel.

I realize it's sort of a luck of the draw thing, but the woa I just put in my 20" build is an moa gun. I do have a $265 YM bcg in it, but obviously not matched to barrel.

I don't think a matched bolt is a must. Nice option though.
I have this thing about barrels. If you buy something decent from a reputable maker or places like WOA the barrel will most likely perform. I have Wilson Arms barrels on my NM rifle and,my varmint build and both have delivered enough just under 1MOA groups with nice bullets to convince me they are good barrels.
Now if only I could shoot as well as my rifles with out the need of a rifle rest!

Decided to do some assembling.

Never put together a lower before, geez that was easy.

Lost the pin for my BCM forward assist, so that will have to wait.

20150419_134205_zpslk0azogx.jpg

Well, got home a few hours ago to a pile of stuff in the mail.... haven't been home all week and needed a little something to take my mind off things....

20150424_175501_zpsy72itpvl.jpg

Spec so far,

Anderson upper and lower (stripped)
BCM, BCG,charging handle, forward assist,and gas block
Magpul MOE rifle stock and grip
White Oak 18" rifle length SPR 1:7
DPMS LPK ( no fire control )
Spikes Punisher / American flag ejection port cover.
YHM gas tube
Mil surp buffer

My handguard and trigger are in, by unfortuantely it might be a while until I can go get them.

Almost complete,

Added Danil Defense SLiM rail 15" and Geissele SSA-E

20150425_160319_zpsdzopbrwp.jpg

Just the bit of away time I needed

Edit: no, it's not airsoft with the orange tip, just thread protectors

Last edited:
I have the 13", but I should have said I don't like the diameter/shape vs. some other rails I've used - that probably won't matter to you for your intended use. Centurion makes a 14" CMR, which is my favorite rail - here's a 14" rail on an 18" barrel:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/8927659234_5d9ea5bfcb_o.jpg

I'm not much of a "rail" fan, but this one looks OK.
8927659234_5d9ea5bfcb_o.jpg

I'd rather have an 18 or 19 inch barrel with the old school style triangular front hand guards and an A2 stock. No luck finding those anywhere any more, I guess. That would be a great idea for a startup company.

I'm not much of a "rail" fan, but this one looks OK.
8927659234_5d9ea5bfcb_o.jpg

I'd rather have an 18 or 19 inch barrel with the old school style triangular front hand guards and an A2 stock. No luck finding those anywhere any more, I guess. That would be a great idea for a startup company.
http://www.sherluk.com/m16e.php

PK firearms makes triangle handguards for carbine length if you were going to go shorter.

Who wants to recommend an optic?

I really really like the US Optics ST-10, as I really like fixed power optics.... but I don't think $1300 is gonna fly. There is also the US Optics SR 6 bit that's even a bit more...

I considered getting a 10x fixed power SWFA SS scope for $300 while I saved for a nicer piece of glass but I'm not sure.

Vortex has the Viper PST series, and the 2.5 - 10 and the 4x14 look decent with good warranty....

Nightforce NXS series is going to be to much... I can't consider anything $1500+

Leupold? The Mark AR series isn't bad, but this gun is setup to run heavier bullets so their matched dials are no good. Im not as big of a fan of thier reticle

Edit: looks like Nightforce has the SHV, but it has odd knob setup... with target turrets unDer caps (weird)

Last edited:
Who wants to recommend an optic?

I really really like the US Optics ST-10, as I really like fixed power optics.... but I don't think $1300 is gonna fly. There is also the US Optics SR 6 bit that's even a bit more...

I considered getting a 10x fixed power SWFA SS scope for $300 while I saved for a nicer piece of glass but I'm not sure.

Vortex has the Viper PST series, and the 2.5 - 10 and the 4x14 look decent with good warranty....

Nightforce NXS series is going to be to much... I can't consider anything $1500+

Leupold? The Mark AR series isn't bad, but this gun is setup to run heavier bullets so their matched dials are no good. Im not as big of a fan of thier reticle

Edit: looks like Nightforce has the SHV, but it has odd knob setup... with target turrets unDer caps (weird)

I'm very happy with the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16. Really clear glass, great relief, etc. The only difference between it and the PST that I can find is that the PST has a illuminated reticle, which I never used on my 1-4 PST, so the $ savings was worth it. I used a friend's $250 dollar Nikon the other day and it was like "wow, my vortex is awesome". I kept that to myself, of course. It's spoiling me.

I can highly recommend the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 ffp.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

FFP is not a concern, as it's really not in the budget.

Top 3 right now are,

Nightforce SHV with MOAR reticle
Sightron S3
Leupold Mark 4

Next in line is the Vortex PST line, but getting hands on might help...

I'm torn between Mil / MOA but whatever I get I want matched reticle / turrets

Last edited:
I use nightforce for work. Great scope. Worth the money.

I like moa over mil but its just what I'm used too. But Ive used both just fine. If you shooting side by side with friends, go with what they have as its easier when your speaking the same language for making adjustments. But either way you decide, matching reticle/turrets is the way to go. There are too many good scopes out there that match, not to imho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom