BCM "Medium" Charging Handle
BCM Bolt Carry Group
White Oak 18" SPR Rifle Length barrel 1:7 twist
BCM low profile gas block
YHM rifle length gas tube
Daniel Defense 15"SLiM rail
Surefire Procomp 556.
(10) Magpul gen3 10 round magazines for shooting prone

The thought process with this build was "high end / accurate on a budget" in other words, spend the money on the things that matter, and get "decent" stuff everywhere else.

Ive made a decision on the optic and mount, but I'm not sure when that will become a reality.... the philosophy will remain the same, decent stuff value minded. Unfortunately that rules out the Nightforce I really want (just not possible to make it work financially with everything else in life right now)

Last edited:
Looks nice man, let us know how it shoots. I love the look of a stainless barrel with a black handguard and brake

I have a Sightron S3 First focal plane scope.

For the money, there is nothing with better optical performance. The Japanese glass is great.

Also, if you are shooting long distance, tracking is far far FAR more important than the actual quality of the glass. This thing is spot on. Crank it up, then crank it down, and it comes back to exactly the same place.

I'm probably going to put a Burris XTR II on the silenced 16" Rem 700 in .308 that I'm cobbling together now.

One note is that if you are a NRA instructor, you can get Burris for 50% off of list.

Don

p.s. the only thing I missed on the Sightron in a precision rifle class that I took at Sig was a zero stop.

A
I have a Sightron S3 First focal plane scope.

For the money, there is nothing with better optical performance. The Japanese glass is great.

Also, if you are shooting long distance, tracking is far far FAR more important than the actual quality of the glass. This thing is spot on. Crank it up, then crank it down, and it comes back to exactly the same place.

I'm probably going to put a Burris XTR II on the silenced 16" Rem 700 in .308 that I'm cobbling together now.

One note is that if you are a NRA instructor, you can get Burris for 50% off of list.

Don

p.s. the only thing I missed on the Sightron in a precision rifle class that I took at Sig was a zero stop.

Thanks for the sightron S3 recommendation, I actually very strongly considered it.

I ended up ordering a Burris XTR II 2-8x42 through the shop.... I've got a few things on consignment to help pay for that and the Samson PRO DMR mount for it.

I haven't got the chance to take the Burris home yet, but I did handle it... WOW is it beefy!

DRB, let me know what you think of it.

Like I said above, I'm looking for a new scope for another bolt gun. Although I really like the Sightron, I'm curious about the Burris XTR. Its not some farmed out chinese scope made by the lowest bidder.

Its made on Burris equipment in the Philippines, which has become the best place to get reasonably priced glass. (Nikon has a factory there)

DRB, let me know what you think of it.

Like I said above, I'm looking for a new scope for another bolt gun. Although I really like the Sightron, I'm curious about the Burris XTR. Its not some farmed out chinese scope made by the lowest bidder.

Its made on Burris equipment in the Philippines, which has become the best place to get reasonably priced glass. (Nikon has a factory there)

I'll be more than happy to offer up a opinion and offer to let you try it if your ever up at Harvard Sportsmans Club

Dan

Dan,

I'm a member at HSC, Weston Shooters Club and Mass Rifle.

I may take you up on that offer. I'm out of state this weekend.
How often to you get up to HSC?

Don

Well, normally every weekend but my wife is still recovering from 3 weeks in the hospital. It will probably be a month before I can get back to the range with any regularity

Well, caring for your wife is obviously the most important thing in your life at this time.

I'll probably just order one with the 50% off instructors discount. If I don't like it I should be able to get what I paid for it.

Thanks, and good luck with your wife and her recovery.

Don

Scope (Burris XTR 2 2-10x42) and mount (Samson DMR) are one, all I need is a Bipod and BUIS to complete Decided to sight it in today... Only brought 20 rounds of Privi Match 75 gn

First 5 shots at 100 are circled as I walked the scope in (yeah, I got a little carried away going to far with adjustments)

201ea9c1-ec55-481a-9be4-49ce942e0bb1_zpsqqsevnck.jpg

And the final 3 shot group before I packed up

image.jpg2_zpsywoiok92.jpg

Pics of the build to come with better light...

A few thoughts on my build parts selection,

1. Daniel Defense SLiM rail is a bit frustrating. It's light, it fits my hand great, and I love the look BUT, it's inside diameter is so small positioning it so there is no chance of gas block contact is pretty difficult and a pain in the ass

2. I have so pretty substantial gas tube rattle... Everything works good and functions very smoothly, but the rattle is kinda annoying. Not sure why, but I'll investigate.

3. IMHO the Burris XTR 2 kills everything in the price point. The turrets are huge and have audible solid clicks, and the whole thing is massive! Very clear and bright and the FFP is definitely a plus in the mid $700 ballpark. No, it's no a Steiner or a Nightforce, not even close. But I have used Leupold mark 4 series and I'm glad I chose the XtR over them.

4. The Samson DMR is a very solid mount for under $200, built right in NH. Very much worth considering

5. There are more "trendy" names in barrels, White OAK never fails to impress. The SPR barrels are an AWESOME value

One final note, my gas tube really rattles and seems very loose in the opening in the reciever... its YHM so it should be a decent part. I'll have to do some investigating, but it's not causing a function problem so I think I'll just enjoy shooting it for a bit

Last edited:
Thanks for the up date, although im not a huge fan of how "busy" a mil dot style scope is im glad you posted on the burris. St least they post the sizes of all thier hash marks. My current problem with most scopes is how much of the target (bulls eyes) the reticle actually covers.
Do you have the SCR reticle?

Thanks for the up date, although im not a huge fan of how "busy" a mil dot style scope is im glad you posted on the burris. St least they post the sizes of all thier hash marks. My current problem with most scopes is how much of the target (bulls eyes) the reticle actually covers.
Do you have the SCR reticle?

I have the G2B Mil-Dot reticle.

While I'm very happy with the scope, and after having ecperience with other scopes in the $1000 and under price range I confident in my choice I will say this is NOT a "target" scope. The reticle gas a little fat a max magnification and if you are a fan of ultra thin reticle this is not your scope. Being FFP, if you selected a higher magnification optic it might suit you better, but these scopes really fall outside of the dedicated NRA prone March precision optic IMHO

Edit: I can't really get a clear pic with my phone, so this doesn't really give the clarity or the size of the reticle justice but.... (NO, THIS WAS NOT ATTACHED TO A RIFLE WHILE POINTING OUT THE WINDOW)
2015-06-28%2019.03.13_zpsxlyiavdd.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom