1937 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant M 91/30 “Scout Rifle” Version - 7.62 x 54 R.

I recently refinished a 1937 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant M 91/30 “Sporterized” 7.62 x 54 R.

This is a "scout" version with the butt-stock ammo carrier & long eye-relief scope mounted up front where the rear iron sights were. It shoots so well I wanted to try a sight and this was a configuration I found online. It is based on the Styer Scout rifle and meets a short list of "scout rifle" criteria. Fun inexpensive & easy project!

IMG_1444-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing he bought it with the cut down barrel and aftermarket front sight.

I don't like it but I guess if you're gonna sporterize with a scope you might as well go for broke and remove that front site and re-crown. Then attach a front sling mount to the underside of the handguard.

I did not. Someone I imagine did though through the years. It was converted to a "sporter" rifle at some point. I bought it and made no significant modifications.

I didn't want to lose the front sight because I can throw the iron sight back on easily. I was going to mount the sling under the hand-guard the issue I ran into was the cleaning rod cutout within the stock. I can't simply screw into the wood I would need to drill and the countersink a nut on the inside of the stock to hold the screw. I may do that though... it would look nicer.

Back
Top Bottom