1917 "Enfield" Lee Enfield

Catching up on another purchase from a couple of months ago, a 1917 Enfield factory No1 MKIII*.

Picked it up in a shop in Connecticut for $275 OTD. Complete numbers matching unit. The numbers are a little worn on the underside of the WWII era beech forestock, but legible enough. The bore is relatively worn, especially at the muzzle, but not badly pitted and with decent rifling.

Overall, I'm generally pleased with the condition considering it's likely service in two world wars, and possible post war training assignment in a country such as Greece. Handguard ears are cut around the rear sight, but can't have everything! Century Arms import.

Well, lots of marks and stamps to take pics. And thanks for looking.

Enfield1918_001.JPG

Enfield1918_002.JPG

Enfield1918_003.JPG

Enfield1918_004.JPG

Enfield1918_005.JPG

Enfield1918_006.JPG

Enfield1918_007.JPG

Enfield1918_008.JPG

Enfield1918_009.JPG

Enfield1918_010.JPG

Enfield1918_011.JPG

Enfield1918_012.JPG

Enfield1918_013.JPG

Enfield1918_014.JPG

Enfield1918_015.JPG

Enfield1918_016.JPG

Enfield1918_017.JPG

Enfield1918_018.JPG

Enfield1918_019.JPG

Enfield1918_021.JPG

enfieldstamp_001.JPG

enfieldstamp_002.JPG

Enfield1918_001.JPG

Enfield1918_002.JPG

I think my next segment to collect will be 303 enfields. I do like the old style full length forends. So ugly its beautiful.

Thanks to you all, gentlemen.

And once you do get past the "ugly", these things start to grow on you... and grow in the collection, too!

And once you do get past the "ugly", these things start to grow on you...

Haven't gotten past the ugly of the Smelly yet...that may happen when I own 1 Mauser 98 of each variant, of each year
and manufacturer for every government customer ever made[smile] , so I'll likely never own a SMLE.
My Long Branch No.4 Mk.1 has to cover for the British boomstick dept. in my collection.

Everyone should own an Enfield.

Had one; 1918 BSA, all matching, but the rifle key-holed with a bad bore. Wound up selling it with bayonet and scabbard for $400. Wouldn't mind another; like the looks a lot. But would rather have a Savage No. 4 to fit my collection.

PM

Thanks to you all, gentlemen.

And once you do get past the "ugly", these things start to grow on you... and grow in the collection, too!

Ugly????? LOL Tis a thing of beauty to me. :)

I remember talking about that one Martin... it is a nice all matching WWI Mk III*. Nice pick up. Those are getting harder and harder to find. The top wood is missing their ears... but that is not uncommon. Is that a 22 date I see on the barrell? If so, then my guess is that the gun saw some action in WWI if it was made in 17 and then rebarreled in 22.

I think my next segment to collect will be 303 enfields. I do like the old style full length forends. So ugly its beautiful.

If you want/need 303 enfields, PM me, and I will hook you up with my Dad. He is in the South Shore and he has all of them, and is in the process of downsizing.

Had one; 1918 BSA, all matching, but the rifle key-holed with a bad bore. Wound up selling it with bayonet and scabbard for $400. Wouldn't mind another; like the looks a lot. But would rather have a Savage No. 4 to fit my collection.

PM

If you want a #4 Savage, There is a nice one at:

Mitz Arms & Ammo
163 Main Street Seymour, CT 06483
(203) 464-3690

In fact they have a pile of nice Enfields there as of last night.

Ugly????? LOL Tis a thing of beauty to me. :)

I remember talking about that one Martin... it is a nice all matching WWI Mk III*. Nice pick up. Those are getting harder and harder to find. The top wood is missing their ears... but that is not uncommon. Is that a 22 date I see on the barrell? If so, then my guess is that the gun saw some action in WWI if it was made in 17 and then rebarreled in 22.

What looks like a possible 22 in the photo is an upside down number 177. Fonts and sizes of stamps (7 in serial number is larger than other three digits) appear to be identical on both the barrel and receiver. Maybe original pairing?

Any, it's so ugly that it's beautiful.

If you want a #4 Savage, There is a nice one at:

Mitz Arms & Ammo
163 Main Street Seymour, CT 06483
(203) 464-3690

In fact they have a pile of nice Enfields there as of last night.

Thanks Speedway; but I just got my Beretta, so I'm off the market for a 'suitable' time.

MS

Is the butt plate brass? I don't know anything about these rifles but that cought my eye.

Sent from my handheld electronic thingamabob.

Damn, I have got to take a trip to CT! it seems as though there is a store or two that just likes to have there guns end up on NES for REALLY low prices!

Very nice shape!

What looks like a possible 22 in the photo is an upside down number 177. Fonts and sizes of stamps (7 in serial number is larger than other three digits) appear to be identical on both the barrel and receiver. Maybe original pairing?

The year should be on the barrel somewhere. It is usually on top but could be below the wood. Sometimes the year is a '17 format and sometimes in a 1917 format. But usually just an ' and the last 2 digits. When you get a chance to clean it up and take it out of the wood I am sure it will be there.

Any, it's so ugly that it's beautiful.
Maybe I have liked Enfields for so long that I forgot I ever saw them as ugly. But to me, there is far more beauty in a No. 1 than some other less than rifle like a Mauser or Mosin. :)

Is the butt plate brass? I don't know anything about these rifles but that cought my eye.

All pre-45 No. 1's should have a brass butt plate. I am not sure about dispersal No. 1's , but my guess would be brass as well. I think the Indians and the Aussies used brass on all of theirs too. But my memory is not so good these days so I could be wrong about that. For sure, all WWI era No. 1's should have brass.

The No. 4 had both brass and steel butt plates as a war time remedy.

Lovely. Any closeups of the cutoff slot?

I would be surprised if the slot was ever milled. The asterisk after the MK. III would denote that it was made without the cut off slot, the rear and front volley sights or the windage adjustable rear sight.

After WWI, some rifles did have the slot milled in during refurb, but then the asterisk was lined out like in the pic below. New production during the inter war period would have had the slot milled in as well.

View attachment 33240

I just aquired 3 enfields and need to determine how much they are worth. Can anyone recommend how I go about this?

Pictures of all the markings on the gun, such as the ones shown in the original post, are almost a necessity to determine value. Many mix-masters are low-end on the value scale, and the more original parts that are present, the higher it can land on the value scale.

Good place to start.

I just aquired 3 enfields and need to determine how much they are worth. Can anyone recommend how I go about this?

Shawn.. post them to this board on a new topic with lots of pics. I and others will be happy to help you get ball park figures. The other way is to search ended auctions on the auction sights for ones like yours and see what those have sold for. But there are a lot of variations that will make a difference.

There seems to be some confusion here WBCC. The Enfield originally posted by Martin for this thread is a SMLE or a No. 1 Mk. III* Lee Enfield made in 1917 by the royal arms factory at Enfield Lock, London. The one you posted in GB is a Model 1917 made by Remington here in the US around the same time. Two completely different guns and there is always confusion when "Enfield" is used to describe guns. The Model 17 is a 30-06 version of the Pattern 14, which was planned to be replace the SMLE but when WWI started, the UK changed their plans and kept up with the SMLE. But the P14 was designed at Enfield Lock so it also acquired the name Enfield.

I assumed that Shawn was referring to the SMLE or the WWII version, the No. 4 Mk. II. It will be interesting to see what he has.

Found this on Gun Broker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319118334

The stock looks perfect from the few photos supplied.

I just sold a beautiful customized 1917 Enfield that was re-chambered to .308 Norma Magnum.

Rich

I'll give you five bucks for it, and I'll even cover shipping.[wink]

My bitser MkIII cost about $125 in 2000; at the show I bought it from, an all-matching MkIII* next to it was selling for $250. Not that that reflects any kind of current value, of course.

Fantastic rifles at any price, IMO. The SMLE platform is my favorite kind of firearm. And if they look somewhat brutal, that's because they're made for killing people, not looking good at hunting camp.

Back
Top Bottom