1911 Magwell help-- RESOLVED THANKS

Mike-Mike

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Last edited:
Ah, yup. Nanerclip is probably right. I just looked at the link for the mags you're using. They're flared out at the bottom which is supposed to mate to the magwell extension. Baseplate is getting in the way.

It's the base pad on those mags. File them down to fit or get 47D's.

+1 I had the same problem with my Wilson Mag Well. I had to file down part of the black plastic of the mag plate before my mags would seat properly. If you have a dremel it's a simple modification to the mag. Otherwise you'll never get the mag to seat correctly.

+1 I had the same problem with my Wilson Mag Well. I had to file down part of the black plastic of the mag plate before my mags would seat properly. If you have a dremel it's a simple modification to the mag. Otherwise you'll never get the mag to seat correctly.

OK I will try dremel before I get new mags. Do you have a pic of the modded mags? do you just take off the little corner part?

OK I will try dremel before I get new mags. Do you have a pic of the modded mags? do you just take off the little corner part?

I don't have pics, but I can take some tonight when I get home. I took off the baseplate and I went over the top lip with the dremel. Not much. A 16th of an inch at a time until the mag seated properly.

Last edited:
Wilson 1911 magazine: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines.asp

I've used 47Ds for years, but I think the ETM is probably a better design. One of these days I'm gonna order up a few and give them a try:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines_ETM.asp

The ETM design appears to be similar to Tripp's, but hopefully with Wilson Combat QA/QC, rather than Tripp's lack of same.
I've switched from 47D to ETMs and they are both great, but the ETMs have numbered spy holes and I like that.

Now the 9mm ETMs are a different story.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Mike-Mike,
I had the same problem with the WC clip on magwell and the mags that came with my newer S&W1911 (my older S&W 1911 came with 47Ds). I could throw some 47Ds and ETMs (these are 8 round mags) in my range bag for you to try at WRPC tomorrow if you'd like.

I also have some Wilson 7 rounders I could bring.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
Mike-Mike,
I had the same problem with the WC clip on magwell and the mags that came with my newer S&W1911 (my older S&W 1911 came with 47Ds). I could throw some 47Ds and ETMs (these are 8 round mags) in my range bag for you to try at WRPC tomorrow if you'd like.

I also have some Wilson 7 rounders I could bring.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I appreciate it. I actually just took a Dremel to the base plates and they seem to work like a charm. We'll see tomorrow when I beat Chopper and win a cigar.

Thanks Everyone for your expert opinions. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom