1911 Front Strap Checkering Alternatives

I have a Ruger 1911 on hold for me. I like the front strap checkering on more expensive guns but this is all I can afford right now and all indications are that it's a fine gun for the money (Not looking for 1911A vs. 1911B debate).

I have seen the Wilson Combat front checkering add on part and an idea about using skateboard tape.
It will cost too much to have it done and I don't have the tools to do it myself.
I don't want to replace the grips with the ones that have the finger grooves. I like the low profile as is.

Is there any other method to add some sort of front strap grip enhancement?
Other kinds of tape or parts with semi-permanent adhesive?
I want it to be durable but be removable if it does wear or if I just want it gone.

Please, no speeches about leaving the JB 1911 design alone [laugh] .

Thanks.

Use self-adhesive skateboard tape (also sold at Home Cheapo as stair treads). Take the grips off first and tuck a little bit under each grip to prevent peeling. If you ever have cherckering done, spend the $$ for a first rate craftsman (Greg Derr comes to mind)

texturesample1_zps2d136a48.jpg

From left to right, 20 LPI serrations,20, 25.30 lines per inch checkering. This is CNC done and I usually match the MSH texture to the front strap treatment. Stainless guns do not need refinishing, but blued or Cerakoted guns do. Just in case you needed to see the options.

From left to right, 20 LPI serrations,20, 25.30 lines per inch checkering. This is CNC done and I usually match the MSH texture to the front strap treatment. Stainless guns do not need refinishing, but blued or Cerakoted guns do. Just in case you needed to see the options.

Very nice work. Unfortunately if I could afford to have my gun checkered I could probably also afford a gun that already has checkering. I had to sell a bunch of my ammo stock to buy the gun which sucked but I'd rather have a new gun.
I'll keep it in mind for the future. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a foil (well, thick foil) that looks like it was stamped with a checkering pattern on it. Its also held on by the grip. While i don't shoot it all that much, its has held up well. Came with the gun, but it might still be available

Skateboard tape.
I used to look at it as a hack job run around to checkering or stippling. Now I've become a big fan of it. I prefer an aggressive grip texture

You can always DIY Still cost about $100 for the tools and jig and then it took me about 10 hours to do one....It is doable and a great sense of satisfaction...
http://www.m1911.org/checkering.htm

I'm usually up for doing things myself but in this case the more I thought about it the more I realize that one mistake and I've ruined my gun. It's one of those things you have to practice on junk before doing it for real.
I did polish the flats on my Beretta Inox and that came out great. Mirror finish. Everybody loves it and says it looks professional.

texturesample1_zps2d136a48.jpg

What are you able to do to a p14 frame. First Saturday I got off your getting a gun in a box from me . Lol .

Skate board tape is the way to go. It is just as effective as checkering but not nearly as pretty. Skate board tape is superior to the thicker "stair tread tape" available at your local Lowes, etc. because it is thinner, more flexible and easier to work with.

Considering pachmayr grips myself (no grooves), got a quote for checkering and am probably not taking that path.

This. They make one with wood panels that's fancy and the standard gripper. Either are great sets of grips. Frankly adding checkering to a cheap gun is not worth it. Note that hogue has these things too, but I can't use the hogues, they actually make the whole gun point differently!

-Mike

I have the Wilson Combat checkered grip strap. It's very thin and tucks under the grip panels. Mine is 20 years old and I think it is excellent, I hope they haven't changed their design. I add some scotch tape to the back to add a plastic buffer to prevent marring the blue finish on my prized Gold Cup.

As mentioned there is the skateboard tape.

I have also used strips of wet/dry high quality sandpaper and have gotten great results in a pinch for almost zero money. You can pick your aggressiveness too on this route. Just cut the strip a little long and tuck it under the grips.

So in terms of quality I would rate them:
#1 Wilson Combat add on strap
#2 Skateboard tape
#3 Wet/Dry sandpaper of your choice.
HTH

Considering pachmayr grips myself (no grooves), got a quote for checkering and am probably not taking that path.

I used Pachmyr grips for a while when I first got into IPSC. They are very well made and a good deal for the price, but have two potential draw backs. The first is that they enlarge the grip which can be a problem for those with small hands. The second problem is that these rubber grips tend to stick to your hand. This makes it difficult to change your hand position should you get a bad grip on the draw.

I have found that a piece of skate board tape works better for me with the added bonus of short money.

I bought on ebay for my SR1911 precut grip tape for 1911's from ankertcustoms. Item #281144308637 if yo want to take a look, there still up for sale.It actually looks really good on the stainless because of the other black accent parts on the Ruger. I have pictures of mine but I don't know how to use photobucket to get them to you.
good luck.

I bought on ebay for my SR1911 precut grip tape for 1911's from ankertcustoms. Item #281144308637 if yo want to take a look, there still up for sale.It actually looks really good on the stainless because of the other black accent parts on the Ruger. I have pictures of mine but I don't know how to use photobucket to get them to you.
good luck.

I found it ...

Looks pretty good. What makes it better than skateboard tape? Is it a heavier texture? Or are they putting skateboard tape in a pretty package and calling it something else.

Last edited:
It's a skate board tape but it's pre cut to fit a 1911 perfect wth the front cut out for the magazine. Takes the guess work out of doing it yourself. You have to take the grips off so it is underneath it. Makes for a nice finish look. I guess once you buy 1 package you could use the old ones for a template and make them yourself. It's still a lot cheaper than getting it checkered as I was in the same boat as you. It feels real good, looks good and really helps with the grip.

For $9.99 you can buy a lifetime supply of skate board tape and you really don't need that little cut out.

Sig TTT isn't much more expensive than the SR1911, and comes with checkering on the grips, as well as standard night sights.

I already have the gun. I thought about the TTT and he had a black "regular" Sig model discounted that was nice for about $100 more, but information I got from a trusted source and previous experience with Ruger CS convinced me to go with the Ruger. That and the fact that it's a more standard 1911 and I can get parts more easily if I ever need them. I'm not a 1911 purist at all but I do like to be able to have access to a wide selection of original and third party parts. My Jenn-Air grill taught me that lesson [laugh] . Next time it's a Weber. Every store in the USA has parts for a Weber grill.

I have checkering on the back of the grip under the grip safety and after putting 200 rounds though it at the range my hand was feeling cut up from the checkering. Plus my clothes try to stick to it sometimes. I'm not sure that I'd go out of my way to add it...

Checkering and skate board tape will abrade your skin. Most people get used to it and your skin will also toughen over time. Some clothing tends to cling to your gun and catch on the checkering and tape and some will not. It all comes down to what you you will put up with to get a solid grip on your gun. Checkering and skate board tape are a huge improvement.

After having had some time with the gun I've decided it's just fine the way it is. Having a smooth front doesn't cause any sort of loss of control at all for me. Maybe at some point I'll try tape or whatever just to change things up a bit. I get board with things and like change [grin] .

Back
Top Bottom