• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 barrel replacement question

I bought a used S&W1911 the other day. When I was stripping it, I noticed the rifling on the barrel was pretty worn in spots. I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about putting a new barrel in? Is it just 'drag n drop' simple like it seems? Or are there factors at play that I'm not aware of as far as matching barrels for make/models or anything of the sort?

I bought a used S&W1911 the other day. When I was stripping it, I noticed the rifling on the barrel was pretty worn in spots. I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about putting a new barrel in? Is it just 'drag n drop' simple like it seems? Or are there factors at play that I'm not aware of as far as matching barrels for make/models or anything of the sort?

In general, 1911 barrels need to be fitted. When you replace the barrel, you usually replace the barrel bushing and link as well. It's not just a drop-in job. The barrel and bushing will need to be fitted to the slide and you will choose which dimension link fits the best as well.

I suggest that you first test fire and see how it groups. If it groups well, leave it alone. If not, then take it a gunsmith.

Last edited:
KKM makes great barrels also.

Are you sure the barrel is worn? It takes alot of rounds to burn out a barrel on a .45. What exactly are you seeing that causes alarm?

I can fit a new Remsprt Match barrel for you with a national match bushing.
let me know. The price would be under $200.00. And that will include crowning the barrel.
Just a reminder Remsport is the supplier of barrels to most of the barrel seller co, out there.

.45 ACP barrels rarely wear out unless they are really abused. The appearance of the rifling could well be an optical illusion. I would shoot the gun, paying close attention to accuracy and only replace the barrel if accuracy becomes a problem. Most .45s are a lot more accurate than their owners.

I agree with Gammon. It also may be leading this would give the illusion of a worn out barrel. Gammon has also mentioned this.
Get some good lead removing cleaner and a new brush and clean the hell out of the barrel and then see what it looks like. I can still do a barrel for you if want to move up to a match barrel, however the S&W stock 1911 barrels are very good.

Back
Top Bottom